Am Redstart, CSR, El Paso Co, Tues

Steven Brown

May 21, 2024, 3:39:41 PMMay 21
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Hey COBirders,

It was VERY slow early this morning, banding at Clear Spring Ranch. With the North wind at about 10-15 mph, not much was moving. Only about 7 birds were caught in the first 2 1/2 hours. I was about ready to go home. Then, it was totally calm about 9:00, for about 45 minutes, and birds emerged! Next the winds blew from the South, and it got quiet again.
One has to be flexible!

31 birds banded today, including:
FOS American Redstart - AdF - I only see these every couple of years.
FOS Ash-throated Flycatcher - SY. My second banded at CSR, and first since 2019.
N Flicker, AdM
Willow Flycatcher - 2
Warbling Vireo, SY
House Wren 2
Gray Catbird - 2
Swainson’s Thrush - 2
Yellow-breasted Chat
Com Yellowthroat, 4 SY F
Yellow Warbler - 6
Bullock’s Oriole - SY F
Blue Grosbeak, AdM
Lazuli Bunting - SyM, Ad F

Are things winding down, or is it just the crappy weather? I am about 1000 birds behind last year (!), mostly because Chipping Sparrows forgot to stop this year.
I am behind on most warbler, sparrow, and flycatcher species compared to years past. As I mentioned before, only Northern Waterthrush numbers have exceeded expectations.

Steve Brown
Colo Spgs.