Yellow-throated Warbler, Teller County

joe...@betterbirdwatching.com

May 23, 2024, 2:16:49 PMMay 23
to Colorado Birds
While driving south on Hwy. 67, about 2 miles S of Manitou Lake near Woodland Park, heard a unique song so pulled over and had a lovely singing male Yellow-throated Warbler, got some good looks too, felt like I was back living in the North Georgia mountains, so awesome to hear that song again, my first sighting for this species in CO.

It was at the entrance to South Meadows Campground, on the west side of Hwy. 67. Just before the pay station turn left into a parking area where you can park and walk around the campground area without having to pay day use fee, as per the camp host.

Bird was just west of pay station at around 8:45 AM, I checked back again about an hour later and could still hear it singing but farther west into the campground. It was moving around alot and singing alot, seemed to be enjoying the open Ponderosa Pine woodland at about 7750 feet, perhaps reminding it of the pine woodlands of the southeast. It was actively feeding on small insects.

Joe LaFleur
Woodland Park, Teller County, 8500 feet