Bird Conservancy of the Rockies - Barr Banding Report, 9/24/22

Meredith McBurney

Sep 24, 2022, 8:02:54 PM9/24/22
to Colorado Birds
A moderate number of birds made for a perfect Saturday - our visitors got a good chance to really see each species we caught, and to compare/contrast different sparrows and warblers.  Caught our third Vesper Sparrow (total of 5 in the previous 17 years), officially my favorite sparrow of the season.

Here's the breakdown of todays 42 new birds:

Western Wood-pewee 1
Rock Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Hermit Thrush 3
Orange-crowned Warbler 7
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Audubon's 4
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's Warbler 10
Spotted Towhee 1
Green-tailed Towhee 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Vesper Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 1 new, 1 banded 2021
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow, Gambel's 4

If you'd like to enjoy fall birds up close and personal, please come visit!  You do need a reservation - just click here! we are offering one-hour slots (up to 15 visitors at a time) from 7:30-8:30 most weekdays (closed Mondays), and 8-9, 9-10, and 10-11 on weekends.

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies