Goldfinch seed feeding behavior

Jim Tyler

May 29, 2023, 4:13:10 PM5/29/23
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Birders -

I’ve noticed a change in Goldfinch (both American and Lesser) behavior over the past 6 years or so.

I live in Roxborough Village, and going back 5-6 years, we had a dramatic increase in the numbers of Goldfinches. Two foot-tall mesh thistle feeders would be covered with a dozen Goldfinches each, with easily a dozen or more waiting to feed. It was normal for them to consume 1/2 to 2/3 of the seed from each feeder daily.

Local populations crashed roughly 3-4 years ago, with almost no Goldfinches showing up at my feeders. Oddly, at that time, I noticed that the remaining Goldfinches had gravitated to my (shelled) sunflower seed feeders. This continued for a roughly 3 years, with only one or two Goldfinches showing up at a time.

So far, this seemed normal as populations shift, and Goldfinches are known to eat sunflowers, but they were completely ignoring my thistle feeders.

This year has brought more Goldfinches - as many as 10 at a time - but the unusual thing is that they ALL are eating sunflower seeds and ALL ignoring my thistle feeders.

I dumped all my older seed and have completely refilled my thistle feeders twice, and have moved one to the front yard, but the Goldfinches continue to eschew my thistle feeders and in both front and back yards now exclusively eat sunflower seeds.

At the same time, House Finches are also ignoring my thistle feeders.

While it’s possible I’ve purchased a bad or old batch of thistle, I’d like to think that the bird supply retailer I use hasn’t received bad seed.

So my question to the group is whether anyone else is seeing Goldfinches at their feeders refusing to eat thistle?

Thanks!

Jim Tyler

Carol Blackard

May 29, 2023, 4:41:51 PM5/29/23
to Jim Tyler, cob...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
My regular pair are exclusively in the thistle feeder sock, just more often than ever before.

Carol Blackard
Sent from my iPhone

On May 29, 2023, at 2:13 PM, Jim Tyler <jim_...@comcast.net> wrote:

 Birders -

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e95e7795-c4f8-42d5-6a96-98eedc5be7bb%40comcast.net.

Lynne Forrester

May 29, 2023, 5:24:43 PM5/29/23
to Jim Tyler, cob...@googlegroups.com
I also had the same thing at least 4 years ago and thought the same as you. I gave up on the thistle. They come to my shelled sunflower seeds regularly.
Lynne Forrester
Southeast Jeffco

May 29, 2023, 5:25:13 PM5/29/23
to Carol Blackard, Jim Tyler, cob...@googlegroups.com
Mine are also going to the safflower and sunflower seeds, and mostly ignoring the nyger seeds. I thought it was odd, as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Elena Holly Klaver
Federally Certified Court Interpreter
Conference Interpreter
English <> Spanish

Member: American Translators Association
Colorado Translators Association
Pronouns: she, her, hers

I acknowledge that I live in the territory of Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne and Ute Nations, according to the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie, and that Colorado’s Front Range is home to many Native peoples. Reconozco que vivo en el territorio de las naciones Hinóno’éí (Arapaho), Cheyenne y Ute, según el Tratado de Fort Laramie en 1851, y que el estado de Colorado al esté de las Montañas Rocosas es territorio de muchos pueblos indígenas.

On May 29, 2023, at 2:42 PM, 'Carol Blackard' via Colorado Birds <cob...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Jim,

Chip Clouse

May 29, 2023, 8:48:50 PM5/29/23
to Jim Tyler, cobirds
Hulled sunflower gives higher caloric value for less work as it doesn't have to be cracked to be eaten. I think your birds have just gotten smarter, that's all.

Cheers,
Chip Clouse
Lakewood

John Malenich

May 30, 2023, 5:40:06 PM5/30/23
to Colorado Birds
I've noticed the same thing with them completely refusing thistle starting at about the same time (3-4 years ago) after many years of devouring thistle with the same feeder set up with sunflower seed nearby.  Now they are only eating sunflower no matter how many times I put out fresh thistle....about to give up on it.

John Malenich
Boulder, CO

Jared Del Rosso

May 30, 2023, 9:20:50 PM5/30/23
to Colorado Birds
The Wisconsin birding list discussed this a few years ago. They documented similar behaviors with finches (esp. goldfinches) and thistle. They speculated that the seeds are being treated at such high temperatures (so they don't reseed) that they're drying out and/or that the long import time is drying the seeds out. Apparently, thistle seeds have a short shelf life.

I don't know if their explanation is right. But I'm adding this because birders in at least one other state are noticing the same patterns.

There is a juniper at the edge of my yard. Below it are all sorts of introduced plants that, I suspect, robins (and perhaps waxwings) have spread while visiting the juniper to eat her cones: a young Russian Olive, Poison Hemlock, and thistle. It's neat, though frustrating, to see how these plants cluster around a favored spot of songbirds. Meanwhile, I have several baby junipers growing around my yard, thanks, surely, to those very same songbirds.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO