Am. Redstart songs

Paula Hansley

May 30, 2023, 6:59:54 PM5/30/23
to CObirds
The redstart’s song is more variable than that of most warblers. The song this one is singing is the third song in the Sibley vol. 2, bird app.

Paula
--
Paula Hansley
Petrographic Consultants International, Inc.

Brandon

May 30, 2023, 7:37:08 PM5/30/23
to Paula Hansley, CObirds
I agree with American Redstart songs sounding like various other warbler species quite often.  I've heard them singing in the east, and I think they could be something else, and they turn out to be American Redstart quite often.  The Merlin App gets confused with American Redstarts too, I have heard people have recorded an American Redstart that they are looking at singing on their Merlin App, it has said it was a different species, like Black-and-white.  Even if Merlin hears something, it is a good idea to try to see the bird, since it isn't always right.  Also, Merlin App has issues with Indigo and Lazuli Buntings it seems like.  I have recorded a Lazuli Bunting on Merlin, though it says it is an Indigo Bunting.  I am sure there are lots of other problem songs, and of course Northern Mockingbirds doing a lot of different birds.

Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAHmCQtYUPck9bmrW%3D8u%3DN2PzmbuO-NQ3XhzPYSpWiLD48VL5Fw%40mail.gmail.com.