RE: [cobirds] Abridged summary of cobirds@googlegroups.com - 4 updates in3 topics

Kathleen Sullivan

Nov 29, 2022, 11:17:53 AM11/29/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com

I also had several female Purple Finches (Eastern in Sibley) yesterday coming into my feeders but mostly feeding on the ground.  Bold face pattern with white above and below the eye (lacking the eye ring of the Cassin’s) and dark steaking.  This year I have also had male and female Cassin’s for the first time so I wonder if they are mixed flocks widely foraging together.

Kathleen Sullivan

Boulder/Gunbarrel

Sent from Mail for Windows

Nov 29, 2022, 12:19:59 PM11/29/22
to Kathleen Sullivan, cob...@googlegroups.com
I had this Cassin's Finch at my feeder this morning in Colorado Springs!
First time ever!

Cinnamon Bergeron

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/20221129160502.B120941A432E%40mta1.indra.com.
DSC_2808.jpg

David Suddjian

Nov 29, 2022, 12:43:41 PM11/29/22
to Cinnamon Bergeron, Kathleen Sullivan, cob...@googlegroups.com
Two Cassin's Finches showed up in my yard this morning at Ken Caryl Valley, JeffCo. They were my first Cassin's near home in 14 months.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO

Patrick O'Driscoll

Nov 29, 2022, 1:00:46 PM11/29/22
to David Suddjian, Cinnamon Bergeron, Kathleen Sullivan, cob...@googlegroups.com
Same here -- two Cassin's Finches among dozens of hungry juncos, House Finches and House Sparrows, and a few chickadees and towhees.
Cassin's is a new yard bird for me here in east-central Denver.
About 10 days ago, we had a first eBird record for Cassin's in Denver City Park, a mile west.
Seems like there's a Cassin's irruption of sorts going on along the Front Range this late autumn.

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---

jand...@comcast.net

Nov 29, 2022, 1:57:05 PM11/29/22
to Patrick O'Driscoll, David Suddjian, Cinnamon Bergeron, Kathleen Sullivan, cob...@googlegroups.com

Ditto – I was thinking the same thing. While Cassin’s Finches are regular and, in some past years, common (6-10) at our feeders in pinyon/juniper habitat in Crestone, Saguache County, this morning I counted 32 individuals including only one adult male, with the rest females or immatures – bodes well for the species!

John Cobb

Currently Crestone, Saguache County

Lynne Forrester

Nov 29, 2022, 2:18:01 PM11/29/22
to Colorado Birds
Me too. Just now Cassin's male on the ground below my feeders, foraging with the Juncos. It's been 2-3 years.

Littleton, east Jeffco
~5700'

Lynne Forrester

Nov 29, 2022, 2:29:31 PM11/29/22
to Cinnamon Bergeron, Cobirds
I had 13 Cassin's Finches this morning at 8,350 ft.

Matt Webb

Nov 29, 2022, 2:39:15 PM11/29/22
to Lynne Forrester, Colorado Birds
I have had a couple Cassin's Finches (both Female and Male) at my feeder throughout the past week or so here in Fort Collins.
Matt

Matthew M Webb

Avian Ecologist and Motus Wildlife Tracking System Coordinator

Bird Conservancy of the Rockies

Motus project #281

970.482.1707 x36 (office)

970.405.7155 (mobile - use this number!)

Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

---

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

---

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

---

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

---

Cinnamon Bergeron

Nov 29, 2022, 3:53:46 PM11/29/22
to Kathleen Sullivan, cob...@googlegroups.com
I now have two Cassin's in my backyard (a male and a female, I think).
Cinnamon Bergeron
Colorado Springs

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Kathleen Sullivan <ks...@indra.com> wrote:
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate

---
DSC_2992.jpg