Nighthawk reflections (literally) - Arapahoe

Jared Del Rosso

Aug 5, 2022, 2:21:52 PMAug 5
to Colorado Birds
While walking to my car last night, around 6:30 PM, at the Trader Joe's in Greenwood Village (University & Orchard in Arapahoe Co.), I spotted the reflection of a nighthawk in the reflection of the sky in my car's trunk window. I looked up to find it swooping fairly low. The shopping center's Barn Swallows were also feeding near it. Eventually, a second nighthawk joined the first.

This led me to check the Google Maps satellite image of the shopping center. It appears gravel covered, which means it could be a possible nesting spot of a Common Nighthawk pair. Always hard to know, though.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO