Lewis's Woodpecker

David Matson

May 24, 2022, 6:53:09 PM5/24/22
to cob...@googlegroups.com
To Each and All,

We see Lewis's Woodpecker approximately once a month as we pass downstream along Highway 12 parallel to the Cuchara River (which is not much more than a creek--please don't tell anyone else!) to La Veta.

We have seen that species now twice at our home. Last year, a single individual came to our home and remained less than 30 seconds; it seemed purely out of curiosity, investigating the activity of other birds that were coming to our water feature and feeders {Living not in Boulder, water features at our elevation of 7,880 feet are not proscribed.}.

The second individual came today, for today we had a second late snowfall, of five inches {measured}, which again surprised my wife and me and required me to make an early round of brushing off the hummingbird feeders and making sure everywhere was tidy.

Then, we sat back and watched, solved Wordle, drank coffee, discussed family matters, watched tanagers and orioles at the oranges and siskins, rosy-finches and many other species (including the special red-backed juncos) enjoy themselves as they looked a bit bedraggled.

Now, at 4:30 PM, the dripping from the roof is the predominant sound.

These two late snows have been quite an experience.

All the best to you.

David Matson
Lewis's Woodpecker 24th May 2022.jpg
-