Piling on with the Red-necked Phalaropes

Ted Floyd

May 21, 2022, 11:04:31 PM5/21/22
to Colorado Birds
Hey, all.

Looks like red-necked phalaropes have been the story of the ongoing weather event here in Colorado.

Hannah Floyd and I thought our 21 red-necked phalaropes this Sat. morning, May 21, at Lagerman Reservoir, Boulder Co., were nifty, but now we're seeing the reports of 100+ at various locales across the state.

Lagerman also had numerous kingbirds, at least 7 western wood-pewees, and a curious 4 broad-tailed hummingbirds. Some late hooded mergansers hanging on, too.

Over at nearby Boulder Rez, Boulder Co., we saw at least 200 American pipits, the largest concentration of the species I've ever seen in all my years as a birder. Many were singing! I don't believe I've ever heard pipits singing away from the tundra. Boulder Rez, like Lagerman, had multiple broad-tailed hummingbirds. Also wood-pewees, a mixed-species Calidris flock, a few mountain bluebirds, and 7 WiFi ibi calling gruffly as they flushed. Quote of the day: "It sounds like it's about to vomit . . . That's disgusting . . . It's my new favorite bird vocalization." --Hannah, on hearing the "song" of an adult male Brewer blackbird. Whatever. Mark Peterson thinks yellow-headed blackbirds sound beautiful. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Yesterday, Fri., May 20, in the driving snow at Greenlee Preserve, Boulder Co., a mildly tardy solitary sandpiper dropped by. And over at nearby Waneka Lake, Hannah audio-recorded a singing northern waterthrush.

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder Co.

Ray, Graham

May 23, 2022, 4:36:20 AM5/23/22
to Ted Floyd, Colorado Birds
77 Red-necked Phalaropes flew into Lake Ladora this evening as well!

Graham Ray
Denver