Colorado’s Rare Birds: Boulder Audubon Speaker Series

Sydney Rayl

Sep 25, 2022, 2:37:52 PM9/25/22
to Colorado Birds
Black Rails and Pinyon Jays: Learning About Colorado’s Rare Birds

BCAS is back for our fall program speaker series! We are thrilled to once again be able to hold in-person programs this fall at Boulder Universal Unitarian Church.

Join Liza Rossi, Bird Conservation Coordinator for Colorado Parks and Wildlife, to learn about Black Rails and Pinyon Jays, two species considered rare in Colorado. During the past several years, Liza has initiated work on two understudied birds in Colorado – the Eastern Black Rail and the Pinyon Jay. For the Audubon talk, Liza will discuss initial efforts to survey for and document breeding of Eastern Black Rails in Colorado. She will dive into the habitat use of this secretive marsh bird and how Colorado habitats differ from other use areas across the range. Then, moving from the marshes of the southern great plains to the pinyon-juniper habitats of the Colorado Plateau, Liza will discuss CPW’s recent work on Pinyon Jays.

Liza has worked for Colorado Parks and Wildlife for over 20 years. She started as an Area Biologist in Routt and Jackson Counties where much of her time was focused on Greater Sage-Grouse, Columbian Sharp-tailed Grouse, and Greater Sandhill Cranes. In 2016, Liza took on the position of statewide Bird Conservation Coordinator and now works with many of Colorado’s avian species of greatest conservation need.

Due to our wish to be as inclusive as possible, and keeping our community's health and safety in mind, we will continue to offer an online option via Zoom, so our fall programs will be a hybrid of in-person and online meetings. Please note that the Unitarian Church requires anyone who enters their building to be fully vaccinated, and we request that all in-person attendees respect their policy.

When: Tuesday, September 27 at 7:15 pm. Doors open at 7:00.
Where: In-person at Boulder Universal Unitarian Church. Online attendees will be able to find the Zoom link here on the day of the event.

We hope to see you there, whether in person or via Zoom!

A note on COVID-19 in light of our decision to return to in-person meetings:

We ask that all in-person attendees respect the Church's COVID-19 policy, which is that all persons who enter their building must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In an effort to protect the more vulnerable members of our community, we also ask that in-person attendees follow these guidelines

  • Wear a mask over nose/mouth if attending in person
  • Stay at home if experiencing symptoms, have a known exposure to COVID-19, or have tested positive and are within the quarantine period
  • Confirm a negative test result the day of the event if you have recently tested positive or experienced symptoms.