Request for Photos for Colorado Birds - August-Oct 2022

George Mayfield

Jan 18, 2023, 5:55:31 PM1/18/23
to Colorado Birds

Hello Colorado Bird Photographers!

Once again we’re looking for photos for the next issue of Colorado Birds, the quarterly journal of the Colorado Field Ornithologists.  We are seeking photos taken from August - October 2022 for the publication's “News From The Field” article. Please send us your best, high quality photos of rare, vagrant or just unusual species for a given location (please guidelines below).

Please submit your photos to me (georgem...@gmail.com) no later than. Jan 25, 2023.

We are specifically looking for photos of the following species reported in Colorado during this time period:

Rare/Vagrant

  • BRANT

  • PURPLE SANDPIPER

  • LESSER NIGHTHAWK

  • RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD

  • ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD

  • RED KNOT

  • LITTLE GULL

  • ARCTIC TERN

  • YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER

  • SULPHUR-BELLIED FLYCATCHER

  • PACIFIC WREN

  • SEDGE WREN

  • MOURNING WARBLER

  • CAPE MAY WARBLER

  • CANADA WARBLER

  • BRAMBLING

Unusual

  • Trumpeter Swan

  • Tundra Swan

  • Surf Scoter

  • White-winged Scoter

  • Black-Scoter

  • Yellow-billed Loon

  • Red-throated Loon

  • Long-tailed Duck

  • Red-necked Grebe

  • Red Phalarope

  • Piping Plover

  • Snowy Plover

  • Am. Golden Plover

  • Whimbrel

  • Ruddy Turnstone

  • Dunlin

  • Buff-breasted Sandpiper

  • Short-billed Dowitcher

  • Parasitic Jaeger

  • Black-Legged Kittiwake

  • Laughing Gull

  • Short-billed Gull

  • Little Blue Heron

  • Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

  • Thick-billed Kingbird

  • Yellow-throated Vireo

  • Blue-headed Vireo

  • Philadelphia Vireo

  • Purple Martin

  • Carolina Wren

  • Gray-cheeked Thrush

  • Wood Thrush

  • Varied Thrush

  • Sprague's Pipit

  • Common Redpoll

  • Snow Bunting

  • Golden-crowned Sparrow

  • Black-and-white Warbler

  • Tennessee Warbler

  • Hooded Warbler

  • Northern Parula

  • Magnolia Warbler

  • Bay-breasted Warbler

  • Blackburnian Warbler

  • Chestnut-sided Warbler

  • Blackpoll Warbler

  • Black-throated Blue Warbler

  • Palm Warbler

  • Pine Warbler

  • Prothonotary Warbler

  • Nashville Warbler

  • Grace’s Warbler

  • Black-throated Gray Warbler

  • Black-throated Green Warbler

  • Summer Tanager

West Slope sightings of the following species:

  • NEOTROPIC CORMORANT

  • CASSIA CROSSBILL

  • Broad Winged Hawk

  • Red-headed Woodpecker

  • Eastern Phoebe

  • Brown Thrasher

  • Orchard Oriole

  • Rusty Blackbird

  • Northern Waterthrush

On behalf of Colorado Birds, thank you for sharing your photographs! Your hard work and generosity help to make our journal one of the best in the country!

George Mayfield

Photo Editor, Colorado Birds

Photo Submission Guidelines:

Photos from August - October 2022

Photos must be your own, and by submitting them, you give Colorado Birds permission to reproduce in any issue and on the CFO website. We always credit images with the photographer’s name.

Photos must be named as follows: species-date-location-county-photographer. For example, a photo of an American Robin taken Oct. 4, 2019 at Chatfield State Park by John James Audubon would be named as follows:

American Robin (or AMRO) -20191004-Chatfield-Adams-JJAudubon.

Minimum quality for interior publication use is 750 x 900 pixels. To be considered for the journal cover, photos must be at least 2625 pixels (vertically) x 1725 pixels (horizontally). Please send original files in the largest resolution possible (300 dpi is preferable) . We will crop and resize as needed.  Email your submissions to georgem...@gmail.com

**

George Mayfield

Wheat Ridge, CO