what flock was that? Larimer County

ronbco

Oct 18, 2021, 10:29:08 AM10/18/21
to Colorado Birds
had a flock of many hundred slowly stream high over my house west of Berthoud yesterday
they perhaps were heading to Dry Creek Res which is just a mile north of me
so, yes they were heading north
they were high enough that I could not pick out any field markings and it is driving me to distraction wondering what they were
the sun and their vector was such that all I could make out was: smaller than sandhill and canada, bigger then mallard/duck, no color except perhaps white on the back/underside, chunky body with a bit of an extended neck...
they were silent
flew in somewhat disorganized V's, needed steady, but smooth, flapping... no gliding
could there be a flock of snow geese that large in the area?

Ron Bolton
Berthoud

Nathan Pieplow

Oct 18, 2021, 11:28:53 AM10/18/21
to Colorado Birds
A flock of gulls sounds like a good bet. This time of year, I see large flocks of Ring-billed Gulls heading northwest over my house toward Boulder Reservoir in the early evening, on their way to roost for the night.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/6a2a5a37-b3a5-441a-945b-74bc0757b5ban%40googlegroups.com.

George Cresswell

Oct 18, 2021, 10:09:06 PM10/18/21
to Nathan Pieplow, Colorado Birds
My guess is Snow Geese which often moves in flocks of thousands.