Spring Count Raptors in Boulder County

Kat Bradley-Bennett

May 19, 2021, 1:17:04 PM5/19/21
to Colorado Birds
My Spring Bird Count area for the Foothills Audubon Bird Club covers south Longmont and parts of Boulder County, including Table Mountain and Haystack. Despite the dearth of warbler species, my team (Mary Jane Makepeace and myself) had 102 species including 3 raptors not typical for the area this time of year:

  • 1 Northern Goshawk was seen soaring over the south end of Table Mountain last Friday. In the same general vicinity there were 2 Ferruginous Hawks.
  • On Saturday, we were counting at yards on Cardinal Lane (east of N63rd, north off Niwot Road) when an immature Broad-winged Hawk flew over.
  • On Sunday, we spotted yet a third Ferruginous overhead on Niwot Road between Hwy 287 and N 95th.

Kat Bradley-Bennett
Longmont