collaborative writing

Wael Al Saad

Jun 6, 2012, 12:48:58 AM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com

I am working on writing a paper outline with some friends about starting Master program in a Palestinian university for Sustainable Development In-Action

So I would like to know about your favorite platform to share working on such a document.

thanks
wael

Mark Roest

Jun 6, 2012, 3:38:52 AM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com
Hello Wael,

Let's set up a Skype session; it is easier to navigate the information that way than by email.

Regards,

Mark Roest

Skypename, markroest

--
-----------Coalition of the Willing-----------
The Coalition occupies several spaces for communication and action. Keep the discussion on this list civil & assume good faith. Strive for brevity.

For the what-why-where of Coalition work, look to http://cotw.cc. That wiki functions as a routing-portal and a locus for some of the work. All group efforts should maintain an updated statement of current focus, channels and spaces of work and anything necessary to support orientation & keeping up-to-speed.

"BetterMeans" is where we coordinate our work: making proposals, endorsing & signing up for work, and tracking tasks. https://secure.bettermeans.com/projects/163
Share the film: http://cotw.me/film

elf Pavlik

Jun 6, 2012, 4:27:46 AM6/6/12
to Wael Al Saad, coalition
Hi Wael,

Excerpts from Wael Al Saad's message of 2012-06-06 04:48:58 +0000:
I haven't used this one myself yet but would like to give it a try soon:
http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/booktype/

It looks like they took over development of 'booki' platform running: http://www.flossmanuals.net/
Promo video on booktype page looks quite promissing :)

Another one I would like to eveluate: http://substance.io

> thanks
> wael

Cheers :)
~ elf Pavlik ~

Darren

Jun 6, 2012, 12:16:34 PM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com
I tend to use etherpad for collaborative writing. Has all the
functionality I've needed + its an open project :)

I find etherpad lite easier to use - the text goes right across the screen.

There are loads of possible pads you could use.

http://etherpad.openstewardship.net/ is connected to COTW (can't
remember exactly who has this domain )

Etherpad lite is less cluttered - list of pads at
http://etherpad.org/public-sites/

I have found that pads can be slightly unreliable (possibly more to do
with where they were hosted?), I've never lost data but twice (with
different pad sites) have not been able to access them. Now I take
regular(ish) exports when working on pads.

Best

Darren

Gerry Gleason

Jun 6, 2012, 12:46:47 PM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com

Yes, etherpad is very useful for working together on the same part of a
document.

I was going to suggest Wagn as a good choice (http://wagn.org) for
organizing outlining and all that sort of thing for a larger project
where different people are working on different parts. That's the sweet
spot for Wiki generally and Wagn is a particularly powerful wiki.

I have to do a bit more work to make it ready to deply, but I have done
a proof of concept where you can have an etherpad connected to a Wagn so
that a group can open up an etherpad on a particular Wagn page, but you
also store it as a versioned page in the Wagn at the end of a session.
That way it is also integrated with the content that is further along
and committed to published pages.

The openstewardship.* domains are all Michael Maranda's and the etherpad
runs on my server.

Gerry
GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails

Wael Alsaad

Jun 6, 2012, 1:11:39 PM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com, coal...@googlegroups.com
Thx Darren to link me back to the etherpad I used to. The service was closed at etherbad.org

Gerry when the work accelerated I will remember to use wagn.
I do not know any active group use wagn in my region.

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Janssen-Rosenbluth

Jun 6, 2012, 6:17:15 PM6/6/12
to coal...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Wael Al Saad <globalp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
I am working on writing a paper outline with some friends about starting Master program in a Palestinian university for Sustainable Development In-Action

So I would like to know about your favorite platform to share working on such a document.

Etherpad is pretty cool, but <hackpad.com> has all its features, plus inter-document linking.

mark