Fwd: please forward to coalition summitt list

Cary THOMAS

Jan 8, 2010, 4:06:13 AM1/8/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com

Proposed legislative language??  Cary

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Linde Knighton <wap...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM
Subject: please forward to coalition summitt list
To: Cary THOMAS <cary.cw...@gmail.com>

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/2496.pdf

Webmail pamellison

Jan 8, 2010, 11:30:36 AM1/8/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com
Dori:

This came from Linde from Washington.  It looks like they are endeavoring to get some changes made to the ballot in Washington.  See the link below. Perhaps our group should be proactively seeking to get some bills forwarded regarding elections as well with our legislature.

Something to think about.

Pam

Richard Winger

Jan 8, 2010, 11:43:08 AM1/8/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com
It seems as though the bill, so far, does almost nothing new, but maybe it will be a vehicle for more profound changes.

Karen Murray

Jan 8, 2010, 12:00:46 PM1/8/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com
The State Government/Tribal Affairs committee has several bills concerning elections they are considering.  I think they are all worth reviewing to see if there is something the coalition would like to weigh in on.  Four of them are only two pages long, the other one is thirteen.  Here's links, not the official titles, just my attempt at describing them.

Karen Murray

Thirteen pages: HB 2467: Concering PAC's, PDC, fundraising  - rules and regs for PAC's and Candidates, including dates of filings and formation of committees, what fundraising is required to be reported, etc.

Mar Rho

Jan 9, 2010, 10:13:05 PM1/9/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com
I sure don't like this part here:

Once the verification and canvass of signatures is complete, the

15 names and addresses of persons who signed the petition are public

16 records under chapter 42.56 RCW and may be made available for public

17 inspection and copying.

Does this mean that the names can be released online?  And will this lead to solicitations?  I might not object to someone going to Olympia to examine the names (though NOT to copy the names).  I would object strongly to people being able to check these names online.  This could lead to all sorts of abuse.

Also, would this be somewhat the equivalent of people being able to examine our ballots to see how we voted?

Marjorie

Linde Knighton

Jan 10, 2010, 3:13:47 PM1/10/10
to Coalition Summit (WA State)
High donors are already listed online due to the PDC, and the
Constitution party won a lawsuit to keep signatures on petitions
private. So, Karen, any comments?

Richard Winger

Jan 10, 2010, 3:15:15 PM1/10/10
to coalitio...@googlegroups.com
The lawsuit over privacy of petition signatures isn't settled yet.  The US Supreme Court will say on January 19 whether it will hear the case.  Otherwise the 9th circuit opinion will stand and there is no privacy.  The case is called John Doe v Sam Reed, 09-559 in the US Supreme Court.

Linde Knighton

Jan 10, 2010, 3:30:58 PM1/10/10
to Coalition Summit (WA State)
Ratz. We must do something about Sam Reed, and no more Democrats
saying they would oppose him. We need one of us.
Linde