FW: Submit your essay today...HAF's NextGen Essay Contest ends this Friday!

1 view

Samir Asthana

Aug 11, 2011, 1:25:55 AM8/11/11
to coalition-of...@googlegroups.com

Hey folks,

Just thought I’d pass this along as a final reminder (or a first reminder in case you hadn’t seen this yet).  It’s essay season so if you’re eligible (which most of us are eligible for at least one of the age ranges in the HAF essay contest), definitely submit something!  It’s a great way to learn about yourself, your culture, and get some pocket change, or, if you’re a responsible good Indian child, a savings bond for a rainy day.

Happy writing!  And if you get tired, just grab a cup of….chy :D

Sincerely,

Samir Asthana

Youth Coordinator for CHY

HAF E-Press | Press Release | header top left

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

header bottom gradient

HAF E-Press | Press Release | header right

HAF's NextGen Essay Contest: Every day, my Hindu-ness makes me a better American because....

Namaste HAF Supporters,

You still have time to submit your essay to HAF's third annual NextGen Essay Contest, open to writers ages 14 through 27!  But the deadline is THIS Friday, August 12, 11:59 pm EST, so don't wait too long for the opportunity to have your essay published in the Huffington Post and win cash prizes!

Topic: Being a Hindu in America can often times mean leading two lives -- "Hindu" within the comfort of our homes and faith communities, and "American" outside. But there are also many values and ideals of both our Hindu and American identities that beautifully complement one another. Every day, my Hindu-ness makes me a better American because...

Contest Dates: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - Friday, August 12, 2011 (11:59pm EST)

Email address for submission: es...@hafsite.org

Prizes

Category 1 (Ages 14-17): First prize - $150; Second prize - $100

Category 2 (Ages 18-22): First prize - $300; Second prize - $200

Category 3 (Ages 23-27): First prize - $500; Second prize - $250

All three of the first prize winning essays will be published in the Huffington Post.

Winning entry announcement date: Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Essay Requirements

1.                       Essays must be 12-point type, double-spaced, 1-inch page margins, and in pdf format.

2.                       Essays must have a title.

3.                       Essays must be between 700 and 1,000 words. Essays not within these length requirements will not be considered.

4.                       Sources must be credited in a bibliography.

5.                       A one-paragraph bio of the author, including age, must be included at the end of the essay. Please do NOT submit a separate bio pdf.

Judging Criteria

Entries will be judged on the depth of their content and the skill with which they are written. Authors should demonstrate a sound knowledge of the subject matter and support their assertions. Essays should be free of grammatical errors and should be clear, concise and well-organized. Judges reserve the right to present no awards or to reduce the number of awards if an insufficient number of deserving entries is received.

The above information can be found on HAF's website by clicking here.

Sincerely,

The HAF Team

The Hindu American Foundation is a 501(c)(3), non-profit, non-partisan organization promoting the Hindu and American ideals of understanding, tolerance and pluralism.

Designed by Teajuice Studios, LLC | http://teajuicestudios.com

size=1 width="50%" noshade color=black align=center>

Change email address / Leave mailing list