4/22 - Dogfish Dissection

Christopher Fisher

Apr 22, 2014, 11:55:20 AM4/22/14
Attached you will find the lab manual for our dissection of the dogfish.  There will be individual and group assignments for throughout dissection.  Please be careful while dissecting.  We are not butchers or hack jobs.  You will be expected to know the structure and function of each part of the shark.

Your first assignment is to familiarize yourself with your shark, and memorize these terms and their definitions:

Cranial
Caudal
Dorsal
Ventral
Medial
Distal
Lateral
Dissection Walk-through.pdf

baileytemplain96

Apr 23, 2014, 11:56:53 AM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. They don't use their nose to breathe

2. Spiracles provide oxygen to the blood directly to the eye and brain,through a separate blood vessel which is reduced or absent in active, for fast swimming sharks.

3. Digestive and Respiratory system

4. 5 vertical slits which allow water to exit.

5. Detects water movements

6. Sex Organs

7. Female

8. Seven

9. Pointed Snout

10. Cranial to each dorsal fin

trone2133

Apr 23, 2014, 11:59:05 AM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1) they don't use their nose to breathe.
2) Spiracles provide oxygenated blood directly to the eye and brain through a separate blood. vessel which is reduced or absent in active, fast-swimming sharks.
3) digestive and respiratory system.
4) 5 vertical slits which allow water to Exit.
5) detects water movements.
6) sex organs.
7) female.
8) seven.
9) pointed snout.
10) cranial to each dorsal fin.

mattleonetti21

eddiemichel19

Apr 23, 2014, 12:02:29 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. They don't use their nose to breathe

2. Spiracles give oxygen to body

3. Digestive/Respiratory system

4. Allow water out of body

5. Detects movement

6. Sex organs and digestive system

7. Female

8. 7

9. Pointed nose

10.

nina.tamessss

Noah Abraham

Apr 23, 2014, 12:06:23 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. They have nostrils that breath in and out
2. They provide oxygenated blood to the brain and eyes and allows the fish to breath with it's mouth closed
3. Respiratory and digestive system
4. 5 vertical slits that allow water to exit
5. It detects water movement
6. Sex organs
7. Male
8. 5
9. pointed snout

cameron.htx

Apr 23, 2014, 12:06:56 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. How is the shark’s nose different from our own? It's more pointy, and is underneath their face. Also the nostrils are more spread out.
2. Why are the Spiracles important? Provide oxygen to the blood directly to the eye and brain, through a seperate blood vessel which is reduced or absent in active
3. The mouth of the shark is part of which organ system(s)? Digestive and Repiratory system
4. What is the function of the Gill Slits? 5 vertical slits which allow water to exit
5. What does the Lateral Line do? Detects water movements
6. What two organ systems is the Cloaca a part of? Sex organs
7. Since the Clasper is only present on male dogfish sharks, what gender is your shark? Female
8. How many fins does a dogfish shark have? Seven
9. What’s another name for the Rostrum? Pointed snout
10. Where are the Dorsal Spines located? Cranial to each dorsal fin

isabella.viterii

Apr 23, 2014, 12:08:05 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com

katrinaatiradoo

Apr 23, 2014, 12:08:11 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. How is the shark’s nose different from our own?
- they have different nostrils that breath in and out
2. Why are the Spiracles important?
- these openings allow water to pass through the gills even when the sharks mouth is closed
3. The mouth of the shark is part of which organ system(s)?
- digestive and respiratory
4. What is the function of the Gill Slits?
- 5 vertical slits which allow water to exit after passing over the gills
5. What does the Lateral Line do?
- a sensory organ that detects water movements
6. What two organ systems is the Cloaca a part of?
- reproductive and digestive
7. Since the Clasper is only present on male dogfish sharks, what gender is your shark?
- male
8. How many fins does a dogfish shark have?
- 5
9. What’s another name for the Rostrum?
- pointed snout
10. Where are the Dorsal Spines located?
- cranial to each dorsal fin

jaimehinojosa5

Apr 23, 2014, 12:08:25 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com

rileymocty

Apr 23, 2014, 12:11:21 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com

1. How is the shark’s nose different from our own? It is more pointy, and is underneath their face. Also the nostrils are more spread out.
2. Why are the Spiracles important? Provides oxygen to blood directly to the eye and brain, through a seperate blood vessel which is reduced or absent in active
3. The mouth of the shark is part of which organ system(s)? Digestive system and Repiratory system
4. What is the function of the Gill Slits? 5 vertical slits that allow water to exit
5. What does the Lateral Line do? It Detects water movements
6. What two organ systems is the Cloaca a part of? Sexual organs
7. Since the Clasper is only present on male dogfish sharks, what gender is your shark? Male
8. How many fins does a dogfish shark have? Seven fins
9. What’s another name for the Rostrum? The Pointed snout
10. Where are the Dorsal Spines located? Cranial to the dorsal fin

neeeezyv

Apr 23, 2014, 12:14:04 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. Sharks don't use their nose to breathe & we do

2. Spiracles provide oxygenated blood directly to the eyes & brain through a separate blood vessel which isn't present in active sharks

3. The digestive & respiratory system

4. Gill slits allow water to leave & exit

5. Lateral line detects water movements

6. Their sex organs

7. Male

8. 7 fins

9. A pointed snout

10. Cranial to each dorsal fin

kaelon23

Apr 23, 2014, 1:16:28 PM4/23/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. They don't use their nose to breathe
2. Spiracles provide oxygen to the blood directly to the eye and brain, though a separate blood vessel which is reduced or absent in active for the fast swimming sharks.
3.Digestive and respiratory system
4. 5 vertical slits which allow water to leave
5. Detects water movements
6.sex organs
7.female
8.seven
9.pointed snout
 10. cranial to each dorsal fin.

cboy59k

Apr 25, 2014, 9:41:42 AM4/25/14

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:35:27 AM UTC-5, Tryicelyn Bonner wrote:
Attached you will find the lab manual for our dissection of the dogfish.  There will be individual and group assignments for throughout dissection.  Please be careful while dissecting.  We are not butchers or hack jobs.  You will be expected to know the structure and function of each part of the shark.

1.it's pointed and the nostrils are spread out
    2.provides oxygen to the blood
    3.digestive and respiratory
    4.allow water to exit the sharks body
    5.detects movement in the water
    6.sex organs
    7.male
    8.seven

jumpmjump

Apr 28, 2014, 11:57:02 AM4/28/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
1. They don't use their nose to breathe

2. Spiracles provide oxygen to the blood directly to the eye and brain,through a separate blood vessel which is reduced or absent in active, for fast swimming sharks.

3. Digestive and Respiratory system

4. 4 vertical slits which allow water to exit.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:35:27 AM UTC-5, Christopher Fisher wrote:
Attached you will find the lab manual for our dissection of the dogfish.  There will be individual and group assignments for throughout dissection.  Please be careful while dissecting.  We are not butchers or hack jobs.  You will be expected to know the structure and function of each part of the shark.

cameron.htx

May 1, 2014, 11:59:01 AM5/1/14
to coach-fishe...@googlegroups.com
Nina, Isabella, Riley, Cameron.

1. The number of chambers the digestive system has.

2. The sharks have a more simplistic system and don't have veins that travel their blood. They use gills to get oxygen.

3. We layed the shark on it's back and pinned it down.

4. The chest was more tough to cut.

5. I found the fact that it was so similar to our own systems to be very interseting.