COAA Earthquake Relief for Sichuan Meteorolgical Services

COA...@gmail.com

May 16, 2008, 5:05:07 PM5/16/08
to COAA SCC
Dear Colleagues,

All of us are deeply saddened by the losses that occurred to the
people in Sichuan due to the massive earthquake. Many of you expressed
eagerness to extend helping hands to the people in need. While all
walks of life in Sichuan were affected by the earthquake, we learned
that our colleagues in the field of meteorological services also
suffered huge losses - one employee in the DuJiangYan Meteorological
Bureau died at the scene right after he finished his shift to conduct
surface observations; all buildings in the Meteorological Bureau of
Beichuan collapsed; till now, contact with the Wenchuan Meteorological
Bureau is yet available. As a professional organization, we'd like to
set up a channel for you to express your kindness to our colleagues in
Sichuan.

In this effort, COAA Southern California Chapter is taking the
lead of coordination. We will collect donations and send the fund to
the Meteorological Bureau of Sichuan Province (MBSP) directly
contributing to their earthquake relief and reconstruction of the lost
weather stations. We are currently discussing with MBSP to find out
the best contribution we can make in this effort. We will set a
donation target and find a best way for them to use this donation.
Should you have any suggestions, please send your email to "S.-K.
Yang" <Sk....@noaa.gov>, Yongkang Xue<yx...@geog.ucla.edu>, and Hui
Su <Hui...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

We are setting up an Paypal account for your direct transfer:
coaa...@yahoo.com, which will be effective on May 19. You may also
mail the check to Yu Gu (g...@atmos.ucla.edu) if you feel it is more
convenient for you. Please write down payable to "COAA" and indicate
for Sichuan Earthquake. Her mailing address is 4810 Deelane Place,
Torrance, CA 90503. Please contribute generously by June 21th. We'll
then send all the donation to MBSP. We will post MBSP's
acknowledgments online and let you know how the donation contributes
to meteorological services' restoration. Please note your donation is
tax-deductible. Receipt is available.

Thank you very much.
S-K Yang, Yongkang Xu and Hui Su

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/coaascc/web/coaa-earthquake-relief-for-sichuan-meteorolgical-services
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.