{COAA SCC} "COAA Sichuan Earthquake Relief No. 4"

COAA- SCC

Jun 19, 2008, 2:07:56 PM6/19/08

Dear Friends,

Thanks for your generosity! Since COAA started the Sichuan Earthquake Relief Campaign, we have received tremendous responses.  At this time of writing, we have received $14,979 from 179 donors.  These donations come from 23 professional institutions of 15 States. We are moved by the pledge of Drs. Kuan-Man Xu, Bruce Wielicki, and Takmeng Wong of NASA Langley Center, who commit donating the monetary part of their NASA Henry Reid Award, which will be announced in July, for our effort.  We are touched by the efforts of Drs. Tingjun Zhang, Xinzhao Chu, and De-Zheng Sun at NSIDC and CIRES/NOAA in Boulder for raising $3,120.  The NOAA Science Center has also collected $4,270 so far.

We are confident the total amount will top $16,000 when this campaign is wrapped up.  We believe this is a substantial amount, which will bring some comforts to the families of victims and our suffered colleagues in the Meteorological Bureau of Sichuan Province (MBSP).  Our Paypal account will remain open to accept donation till the end of July.

To deliver the donation to our targeted earthquake relief effort, we've decided to send the fund through the Chinese Meteorological Society (CMS) Sichuan Chapter.  CMS is the Sister Organization of COAA.  The benefactors include families of earthquake victims in MBSP and our colleagues in the Beichuan Meteorological Station, where the earthquake hit the hardest for helping their relief efforts.  We are discussing the technical details with MBSP to finalize this channel.  This decision is a result from the great efforts of Dr. Tingjun Zhang of NSIDC, who discussed with the Administrators of MBSP, and Prof. Da-lin Zhang of UMD, who contacted the Chinese Meteorological Administration (CMA).

We have also received the gratitude from Dr. Guoguang Zheng, the Administrator of CMA, who expressed the sincere appreciations to COAA and the oversea friends for their concerns and donations.

Again, we thanks for all of your contribution. All the donations without any overhead will be fully used for the earthquake relief of MBSP.  A final report will be provided by MBSP to show how the donation is spent.  Donors' name list and affiliation have been posted on the COAA S Californian Chapter (SCC) Website. http://groups.google.com/group/coaascc.  Please check the name list to be sure your donation has been received.  We are keeping the process transparent; anyone can send email to guy...@yahoo.com and yx...@geog.ucla.edu requesting audit information.  The donation record will be reviewed by the COAA SCC Executive Committee and the copy of all checks and the Paypal record will be reported to the COAA Board of Directories.

Every donor will receive a receipt from the COAA SCC along with an acknowledge certificate from MBSP in July.

Should you have any suggestions, please feel free to let us know.

Yongkang Xue and S.-K. Yang

For donation list:
(http://groups.google.com/group/coaascc/web/coaa-earthquake-relief-donation-list).
For photos from Meteorological Bureau of Sichuan Province:
(http://groups.google.com/group/coaascc/web/updated-earthquake-pictures-from-wenchuan-and-beichuan)

Note: If the link doesn't work, please copy & paste it into your browser's address bar