Those ugly street corner "Work at home" signs and CAUSS

DenverShark

Nov 10, 2001, 1:17:27 PM11/10/01
Hi, Folks:

An increasing problem, especially in metro Denver, is the
proliferation of street corner signs promoting "Work at Home", "Lose
weight Fast", "29 people wanted to lose weight", and "Affordable
Health Insurance".

These signs are known as street spam, bandit signs, vertical litter,
stuff on a stick (SOS), and utility pole ads. Such signs are an
eyesore and in many cities, placement of these signs is in fact
illegal.

Many individuals have been removing these signs from their
neighborhoods and should be commended for their efforts to keep their
neighborhoods beautiful and street corners safe and unobstructed.

There is a national organization CAUSS - Citizens Against Ugly Street
Spam - dedicated to keeping our corners clean. See
http://www.causs.org for more information.

Please join us in our efforts to remove unsightly street spam.

Ralph Jones

Nov 10, 2001, 3:14:51 PM11/10/01

Lots of those posters have web/email addresses. Shouldn't be too hard
to put them on some spam mailing lists...

rj

Lisa.

Nov 11, 2001, 12:53:35 PM11/11/01
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 22:41:20 GMT, \\_0_/@eta.carinae.star.net (\\_0_/
("Praise The Lord, and pray for sanity")) wrote:

>And find out who the web sites are registered to... etc...
>Hey, be a good neighbor, return all the signs back to them :)
>In person, and let them know how much you appreciate their
>efforts :)

This is certainly tempting, but DenverShark has a good point about not
giving their signs back. Cleanup works because it costs the spammers
money.

There are two basic schools of thought. Some people remove the signs
and then inform those responsible that they've done this. Others
deface the signs by blocking out or cutting off the contact
information to serve as a warning to others. IMO, if this isn't a huge
problem in your area yet, removing and notifying is the best route. I
hate seeing these signs in my neighborhood, and I just want them gone.
In areas with more street spam traffic, it's probably worthwhile to
leave up your warnings for a while, just to get the message out more
effectively to both present and potential spammers.

Besides, I make a real point to stay 100% legal when I do this. I know
my municipal codes, and f stick to them. (Note that garage sale signs
and non-commercial signs like Lost and Found Pets, political signs,
etc., are explicitly legal in most places.)

I find that taking signs down is more fun when you can do it in broad
daylight.

Paul

Nov 11, 2001, 6:34:11 PM11/11/01
do you just hate Christians or Jews and blacks too?

(newsgroups trimmed to 3 per co* charter for the TROLL)

Lisa.

Nov 12, 2001, 3:26:54 AM11/12/01
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:37:42 -0700, "- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li>
wrote:

>> Besides, I make a real point to stay 100% legal when I do this. I know
>> my municipal codes, and f stick to them. (Note that garage sale signs
>> and non-commercial signs like Lost and Found Pets, political signs,
>> etc., are explicitly legal in most places.)
>

>No, they are not. You just wish they were so you wouldn't feel
>like such a hypocritical rat when you tear down other people's signs.

Fine. Let me put a finer point on it: They are explicitly legal in my
city, and in the majority of the surrounding cities I've checked. I
have not done a comprehensive survey of all the municipal codes in the
U.S., nor on international laws.

Somehow, I doubt that you have, either.

>> I find that taking signs down is more fun when you can do it in broad
>> daylight.
>

>Don't forget to call the cops on any illegally parked cars too ...

Oh, shut up, you babbling little homunculus. You're pulling things out
of your ass.

DenverShark

Nov 12, 2001, 11:43:20 AM11/12/01
Hey, Metro Denver:

I got bored so I went out and removed about 200 street spam signs this
weekend! Filled up my truck with the junk.

The majority of them were for Herbalife, and a few others advertising
insurance for $50/day. I figure I am doing the MLM-ers (Multi Level
Marketers) a favor by keeping them from getting sucked into these
scams. I know I am doing the public a favor.

It's really enjoyable "work" because of all the "thank you's" I get
from passers by.

CAUSS is Citizens Against Ugly Street Spam - dedicated to keeping our

- Vox Populi ©

Nov 12, 2001, 1:04:32 PM11/12/01

"DenverShark" <Denve...@coloradonospam.net> wrote in message

> Hey, Metro Denver:
>
> I got bored so I went out and removed about 200 street spam signs this
> weekend! Filled up my truck with the junk.
>
> The majority of them were for Herbalife, and a few others advertising
> insurance for $50/day. I figure I am doing the MLM-ers (Multi Level
> Marketers) a favor by keeping them from getting sucked into these
> scams. I know I am doing the public a favor.
>
> It's really enjoyable "work" because of all the "thank you's" I get
> from passers by.

Don't forget to rip down all those Yard Sale, Garage Sale, and Lost
Puppy/Kitten, Church Bake Sale signs that litter the roadways, utility
poles too ...

Oh, and all those Real Estate yard signs? If they are on medians,
sidewalks, etc, they are illegal. And a widespread ploy of those
Realtors it to leave their spamvertising signs up weeks/months
after the advertised property is undercontract/sold, so as to
generate more calls that they can bait and switch to something
else that is available.

And any of those storefront sandwich-board signs placed out on the sidewalks
or medians ... they are illegal too, so be sure to take them also ....

--

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins;

rick++

Nov 12, 2001, 1:19:28 PM11/12/01
I noticed people taping these over with causs declamations in south Denver.

I wonder if they technically violate pyramid schemes. For if you actually
pay for the information books (more like xeroxes) these advertise,
the main business they promote is theirself. However bcause the monetary
amounts are smaller than other pyramid schemes, I dont think authorities
have bothered with them yet.

- Vox Populi ©

Nov 12, 2001, 1:16:29 PM11/12/01

"rick++" <ric...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I noticed people taping these over with causs declamations in south Denver.
>
> I wonder if they technically violate pyramid schemes.

Many don't.

> For if you actually
> pay for the information books (more like xeroxes) these advertise,
> the main business they promote is theirself.

And what of Colleges ..?

Anonymous

Nov 12, 2001, 4:22:49 AM11/12/01

"- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li> wrote:
>And what of Colleges ..?

Recent vo-tech graduate?

(,_ ,_, _,)
/|\`-._( )_.-'/|\
/ | \`-'/ \'-`/ | \
/__|.-'`-\_/-`'-.|__\
` " `

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

DenverShark

Nov 12, 2001, 8:29:12 PM11/12/01
On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, "- Vox Populi Š" <v...@popu.li> wrote:

> Don't forget to rip down all those Yard Sale, Garage Sale, and Lost
> Puppy/Kitten, Church Bake Sale signs that litter the roadways, utility
> poles too ...

Vox:

Nope, I don't rip down temporary signs that benefit the community.
But when some clown thinks they can put up their private MLM
(Multi-Level Marketing) advertising on community property, they're
fair game and the signs have a short life.

> Oh, and all those Real Estate yard signs? If they are on medians,
> sidewalks, etc, they are illegal.

Some communities have passed specific resolutions allowing real estate
signs at specified locations and times. It is recommended that one
check with their city before removing real estate signs.

> And a widespread ploy of those
> Realtors it to leave their spamvertising signs up weeks/months
> after the advertised property is undercontract/sold

Yep. I don't think much of their tactics, either.

> And any of those storefront sandwich-board signs placed out on the sidewalks
> or medians ... they are illegal too, so be sure to take them also ....

Anything that is illegal and is posted in bulk gets removed.

And we certainly appreciate your help. It sounds like you spend a
good deal of time removing signs.

DenverShark
www.CAUSS.org

DenverShark

Nov 12, 2001, 9:35:16 PM11/12/01

[crossposts trimmed down in order to prevent attempt at generating a
flame war]

> > Nope, I don't rip down temporary signs that benefit the community.

As I clearly stated before, I focus on commercial advertising,
predominantly MLM (Multi-Level Marketing), that festers on our street
corners. If there's an illegal sign posted there, or a MLM sign, I
just can't wait to rip it down. It's just so much *fun*!

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, "- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li> wrote:

> So you're just another fascist censor/vigilante, hiding behind some
> thin veil of false legitimacy. You remove other illegal signs, and leave
> the illegal signs you agree with ...
>
> Sieg Heil, Jack-booted vigilante!
>
> Thanks for confessing your fascist content-based vigilante censorship.

And thus, we invoke Goodwin's Law
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/Godwin_s_Law.html

Another idiot ranting into the electroinc void of the internet.

> None allow them in the Public Right of Way, nor are they allowed
> to be left up as spamvertising bait long after the actual property
> has sold.

Go, dude - take down those signs! If you feel so strongly, by all
means, please do help clean up your community.

> Asshole.

The man knows from whence he speaks!

Denver Shark
www.CAUSS.org

Lisa.

Nov 13, 2001, 3:18:49 PM11/13/01
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:02:28 -0700, "- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li>
wrote:

>"Hank Mishkoff" <Ha...@AddisonWeb.com> wrote in message
>> > Someone in here feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but
>> > umm....isn't the REMOVAL of signs which are NOT jeopardizing public
>> > safety (i.e. knocked over street signs) ILLEGAL?!?!?!?

No, of course not. Removal of illegal signs from public property is
properly referred to as clean-up, just like if you were to pick up a
tossed candy wrapper or beer bottle on the street. And before you ask,
yes, I do.

>> I doubt it, but I'm not familiar with the laws in Colorado -- and it probably
>> differs from municipality to municipality, anyway. Here in the Dallas area,
>> most of the local governments (including the city of Dallas itself) classify
>> commercial signs posted in public rights-of-way (and on utility poles) as
>> litter. Most of the code enforcement people around here *encourage* the removal
>> of those signs by public-spirited citizens.
>
>Be sure to remove and destroy those ugly, litter, roadside shrines and crosses
>illegally placed there by religious kooks to memorialize the spot
>where their loved ones were killed ...

I don't know about where you live, but as I've already explained to
you, these are not always illegal. There are legal exceptions for
non-commercial and community signs. This includes lost pet signs,
political signs, real estate signs, and garage sale signs as well.
Your ignoring and denying this fact do not make it any less true.

This seems to be the crux of your argument, and it is based on pure
fiction. I am not the only person to make a clear distinction here.
These distinctions have the force of law.

And this is not a censorship issue, either. There is a big difference
between commercial and personal expression. Advertising is not
protected speech. And this is not even about prohibiting advertising.
It's the community exercising control over its public areas.

I fruitlessly point you in the direction of the Tragedy of the
Commons.

DenverShark

Nov 13, 2001, 5:28:54 PM11/13/01
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Lisa wrote:
>There is a big difference
> between commercial and personal expression. Advertising is not
> protected speech. And this is not even about prohibiting advertising.
> It's the community exercising control over its public areas.
>
> I fruitlessly point you in the direction of the Tragedy of the Commons.

Here's some reading material:

http://www.dieoff.org/page121.htm A General Statement of the Tragedy
of the Commons

http://members.aol.com/trajcom/private/trajcom.htm Commons Web Page

http://www.ecobooks.com/commons.htm Managing the Commons book review
and links

http://sustainability.com/PLANET/library/syssins.html Sins of Our
Systems - Private and Public Failure to Save Our Commons

http://csf.colorado.edu/authors/hanson/page95.htm Tragedy of the
Commons original (Garret Hardin, 1968),

http://csf.colorado.edu/authors/hanson/page4.htm#THE_TRAGEDY_OF_THE_COMMONS
discussion by Jay Hanson

http://dieoff.org/page109.htm Tragedy of the Commons Re-stated
showing deficits in our political mechanisms

http://www.kenyon.edu/projects/envs61/ Tragedy of the Coastal Commons

http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/staff/pelkey/econbot.htm Problems
with the Use of Nontimber Tropical Forest Products in Ecodevelopment -
Graduate paper with references on the commons

Eric

Nov 13, 2001, 5:44:29 PM11/13/01
Looks like Vox is in need of some foot and wall therapy.

Trolling away.

"- Vox Populi Š" wrote:

> "\_0_/ ("Praise The Lord, and pray for sanity")" <_0_/@eta.carinae.star.net> wrote in
> message news:slrn9utg3f.nc8.does.t...@carinae.tenagra.edu...
> > Lisa. mistakenly transmogrified
> > :

- Vox Populi ©

Nov 15, 2001, 2:40:22 AM11/15/01

"\_0_/ ("Praise The Lord, and pray for sanity")" <_0_/@eta.carinae.star.net> wrote in

message news:slrn9v2hlu.v1q.to.sle...@carinae.tenagra.edu...
> DenverShark mistakenly transmogrified
> :

> > [crossposts trimmed down in order to prevent attempt at generating a
> > flame war]
>

> Vox will surely restore the newsgroup distributions.

Just as surely as you'll hide behind the trimmed distribution ...

- Vox Populi ©

Nov 15, 2001, 12:36:09 PM11/15/01

"\_0_/ ("Praise The Lord, and pray for sanity")" <_0_/@eta.carinae.star.net> wrote in

message news:slrn9v7rqi.dd1.U...@carinae.tenagra.edu...
> - Vox Populi © mistakenly transmogrified
> :

> I learned my lesson and apologized about that, Voxen one.

Glad I could have been of some instructive service ...

<groups restored>

Lisa.

Nov 16, 2001, 12:18:05 AM11/16/01
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:52:53 -0700, "- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li>
wrote:

>"Hank Mishkoff" <Ha...@AddisonWeb.com> wrote in message

>> > Boy, you sure have a strange definition of "litter" ....
>>
>> Not mine, bubba, it's the law. You don't like it, get it changed, stop whining about
>> it.
>
>So you keep claiming, without any citation or reference to
>this purported law that prohibits "commercial" signs on
>the public right of way, but mysteriously allows "non-commercial"
>signs and shrines on the same public right of ways ...

Crimines, man.

[Warning to the non-insane: The following is boring, mostly because I
edited out the parts about prohibiting signs that use live animals and
HYPNOTIZE people; and it's redundant, because I TOLD YOU THIS
already.]

LOUISVILLE
17.24.190 Exemptions

B. The following signs are exempt from the requirements of
obtaining a permit but shall comply with all other regulations imposed
by this chapter:
1. Memorial signs and tablets displayed on private property;
<...>
6. Political signs may be erected and maintained on private land;
provided, that such signs shall not be a banner of paper or cloth;
shall not be posted more than 90 days prior to the election to which
the sign is related; shall be removed within 15 days following the
election to which the sign is related; shall be limited to wall,
window and ground signs, shall be limited to two signs for each street
which the lot abuts for each permitted use; shall be limited to 32
square feet per face; shall be limited to a maximum height of 15 feet;
shall not be animated; and shall not flash, blink or fluctuate; and
may be illuminated but only from a concealed light source;
7. Yard or garage sale signs directing the public to a yard or
garage sale shall be allowed in any zone district and need not be
located on the same lot as the permitted use, subject to the following
specific additional requirements:
a. The sign may be posted only on the day of the sale as
identified on the sign, and only between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and
5:00 p.m.;
b. The sign may not exceed 24 inches by 36 inches in size, shall
bear the name and address of the person holding the yard or garage
sale and the location and date of the sale, shall be subject to the
provisions of subsections 17.24.070.A, B and C but not to the
provisions of subsection 17.24.070.D, shall not be attached to any
public sign pole nor placed in or on any street, sidewalk or other
public right-of-way, or on any city property, or impede motor vehicle
or pedestrian traffic, shall not be placed on private property without
the permission of the owner, and shall not be placed on residential
property without the permission of the resident.

LAFAYETTE
Sec. 26-21-9. Prohibited signs.

No person shall erect, install or maintain the following signs in the
city:
(i) Signs not permanently affixed or attached to the ground or to
any structure except for real estate signs or noncommercial signs
attached to posts driven into the ground, window signs, temporary
barriers and signs carried by persons.

CODE OF ORDINANCES
Chapter 26 DEVELOPMENT AND ZONING*
SECTION 26-21. SIGN REGULATIONS
Sec. 26-21-16. Temporary signs.

Sec. 26-21-16. Temporary signs.

(b) Signs concerning candidacy for public office in a primary,
general, municipal or special election are permitted only if they
conform to the requirements in sections 26-21-11, 26-21-21 and Table
26-D, "Requirements for Non-Commercial Signs," regarding area, height
and setback restrictions. No person or organization responsible for
the erection or distribution of any political signs, or the owner of
the property upon which such signs are located, shall fail to remove
such signs within fifteen (15) days after the primary or special
election to which the signs pertain, unless such signs continue to be
pertinent to a general election or municipal election to be held
within ninety (90) days, in which case such signs shall be removed
within fifteen (15) days after the general or municipal election to
which they pertain.

(c) Noncommercial signs are permitted only if they meet the
requirements of sections 26-21-11, 26-21-20, 26-21-22 and 26-21-29.

BROOMFIELD

TITLE 17 ZONING
Chapter 17-44 Sign Code

17-44-060 Prohibited signs.
The following signs shall not be permitted, erected, or maintained in
the city:

(K) Off-premises advertising signs, or any other signs not pertinent
and clearly incidental to the permitted use of the property where
located, except for political or noncommercial signs as permitted and
regulated by section 17-44-050, temporary subdivision directional
signs as permitted and regulated by section 17-44-130, and signs
permitted under the provisions of sections 17-44-320 through
17-44-370. (Ord. 149 Art. 22 §4(3), 1973; Ord. 249 Art. 1 §4(3), 1975;
Ord. 731 §6, 1987)

17-44-050 Signs; permitted; permit not required.

(A) The following signs shall be permitted in all zoning districts,
and all provisions of this chapter shall apply, except that a sign
permit and sign permit fee shall not be required:

<...>

(2) Real estate signs. Temporary nonilluminated real estate signs
which do not exceed six square feet per face and six feet in height in
residential areas, and twelve feet per face and six feet in height in
business and industrial areas. Such signs shall be limited to one sign
per street frontage of the lot. Such signs shall not remain in place
more than seven days after sale or rental of the subject property;

(3) Memorial signs. Signs in the nature of cornerstones, commemorative
tablets, and historical signs which do not exceed four square feet per
face in area and six feet in height, and which are nonilluminated or
indirectly illuminated;

(7) Political or noncommercial signs. Political or noncommercial signs
which do not exceed sixteen square feet per face and seven feet in
height in residential areas, and thirty-two square feet per face and
seven feet in height in business and industrial areas, subject to the
following regulations:

a. No such signs shall be located within, on, or over any public
right-of-way or other public property or within, on, or over private
property without the consent of the owner. For the purpose of
enforcing the provisions of this subparagraph, the terminus of the
public right-of-way is the edge of the sidewalk adjacent to either a
front lot line or side lot line; however, if there is no sidewalk, the
terminus of the public right-of-way is four feet from the outside edge
of a concrete curb, or if there is no curb, six feet from the edge of
the asphaltic street pavement adjacent to either a front lot line or
side lot line.

b. Neither any person nor organization responsible for the erection or
distribution of any sign which is intended to urge the voting public
to support a candidate, political party, or political philosophy, or
to urge action on any ballot issue, nor the owner of the property upon
which such signs are located, shall fail to remove such signs within
seven days after the election to which the signs pertain, unless such
signs continue to be pertinent to another election to be held within
ninety days, in which case such signs shall be removed within seven
days thereafter.

<...>

Lisa.

Nov 16, 2001, 12:17:12 PM11/16/01
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 00:43:44 -0700, "- Vox Populi ©" <v...@popu.li>
wrote:

>You did note and understand the words "private property" ...
>
>Which means those cheesy roadside memorials/shrines are
>just as illegal as those signs you rip down and destroy.

>> <...>
>> 6. Political signs may be erected and maintained on private land;
>

>Oops. There's that pesky "private land" requirement again. Meaning
>that any signs in the public right of way, or on Utility poles, are just
>as illegal as those signs you rip down and destroy.

Yes, Louisville's laws are far stricter than the other cities' that I
used in my example. They differ from city to city. Those were
literally the first three cities I checked.

They all differentiate between commercial and non-commercial signage,
and the laws are different for different types of signs. You claimed
several times that the law made no distinction between commercial and
non-commercial signage.

You were wrong. I have no interest in going into this point by point
with you.