Roses are red, violets are blue...

Andrew Dunham

Mar 7, 2020, 9:29:29 PM3/7/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
We took way too much stuff apart, now there is a lot to do!

IMG_0770.jpg

Sigh. Where to begin? Figured I would give an update to explain the picture a bit. I discovered an oil leak on the head gasket of the Norton, so after letting it sit while we worked on a friends VF1100 Honda Magna, off the head and cylinders came. Of course, with my luck, we discovered that the cylinder head had a couple of stripped out holes. That's off to a guy in Colorado who will put some new inserts in. In the meantime, we decided to take off and paint the cylinder... and two other British cylinders too!

IMG_0739.jpg

The others are for my A10 and Dad's Thunderbolt. We'll get to those eventually.

Hope everyone else's winter has been less busy!

Bruce Truxall

Mar 8, 2020, 12:14:29 PM3/8/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Roses are red,
but they have spikes -
If you don't enjoy fettling
don't own old British bikes.

Mar 8, 2020, 12:56:12 PM3/8/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
Ha, touché Bruce!

I’ve always assumed “fettling” related to simple jobs; oil changes, changing a cable, etc. I guess this is fierce fettling? Full fettling? Furious fettling?

I think those phrases are all a bit suspect.

Bruce Truxall

Mar 9, 2020, 12:21:01 PM3/9/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you Andy.  I associate it more with fine tuning and adjustment, i.e. "fettling the carburettor", but the definition does include "to repair" (you don't think I just throw things out without a little fact checking, do you?).

The main thing was to include a British reference for our shared affliction, and I didn't have all day to compose - so you got "fettle", which I am familiar with, and like to utilize when I am feeling a touch of Anglophilia.   I would defer to one of our actual British members for a ruling and more proper recommendations.  Maybe even a lesson over a pint, what?

Too long Winter - me need ride today.  I think the Suzuki is fully fettled ...

Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 12:56 PM
To: Co-OhVinmoto <co-ohv...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [Co-OhVinmoto] Re: Roses are red, violets are blue...

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Donni Howell

Mar 9, 2020, 5:58:59 PM3/9/20
to VinMoto
"I think the Suzuki is fully fettled ..."

Interestingly, the one without the carbs?😆

Dick the Brit

Mar 9, 2020, 6:27:46 PM3/9/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
As a noun, it means "condition", as in, "My BSA is in fine fettle".

As a verb, it's more flexible, but still doesn't stray too far from the noun, it's usually used in the context of finishing touches, so not so much big jobs and re-builds, more like adjusting idle, chain tension, free-play in cables etc.

If you're fond of fettling, a British bike will never disappoint you . . .

Cheers, R.

On Monday, March 9, 2020 at 9:21:01 AM UTC-7, Bruce Truxall wrote:
I agree with you Andy.  I associate it more with fine tuning and adjustment, i.e. "fettling the carburettor", but the definition does include "to repair" (you don't think I just throw things out without a little fact checking, do you?).

The main thing was to include a British reference for our shared affliction, and I didn't have all day to compose - so you got "fettle", which I am familiar with, and like to utilize when I am feeling a touch of Anglophilia.   I would defer to one of our actual British members for a ruling and more proper recommendations.  Maybe even a lesson over a pint, what?

Too long Winter - me need ride today.  I think the Suzuki is fully fettled ...

Wade Dunham

Mar 9, 2020, 8:21:22 PM3/9/20
to Columbus VinMoto
That's good to know, but I'm sticking with my regular "F" word when working on bikes... :-)

Wade Dunham

Bruce Truxall

Mar 9, 2020, 9:42:07 PM3/9/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Is that word "Fun", Wade?  Or am I only half right?

Maybe "fettle" is where we derived our verb "fiddle".   fiddle verb [I always + adv/prep] (MOVE THINGS). to move things around or touch things without a particular purpose.   This sounds like a more accurate description of most of my mechanical sessions.

Just to clarify, I only speak English as a second language, so bound to make some mistakes; my native tongue is 'Mericun.