1978 Honda GL 1000 - motorcycle parts - by owner - vehicle...

Tom

Aug 12, 2021, 12:40:20 PM8/12/21
to Jim Dragani, VinMoto
https://columbus.craigslist.org/mpo/d/delaware-1978-honda-gl-1000/7364667543.html

I could see this being an interesting project. I am not looking for another project.

Bruce Truxall

Aug 12, 2021, 1:33:54 PM8/12/21
to Jim Dragani, VinMoto
There was a pretty nice GL1000 cafe at Nutter last week.  The standard model was actually pretty quick (mid 12's) when it first came out, and you could probably unload another 50+ lbs without too much effort.  But not for me, either.

I could see this being an interesting project. I am not looking for another project.

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Wade Dunham

Aug 14, 2021, 9:02:21 PM8/14/21
to Columbus VinMoto, Jim Dragani
I like the early naked Gold Wings too, although I've never ridden one. Like Tom and Bruce, I'm not looking for another project either. It's been two years since my BSA blew up and I'd really like to be riding it next spring.

Wade Dunham

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:40 PM Tom <tomte...@hotmail.com> wrote:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/mpo/d/delaware-1978-honda-gl-1000/7364667543.html

I could see this being an interesting project. I am not looking for another project.

Dick the Brit

Aug 15, 2021, 12:45:18 AM8/15/21
to Co-OhVinmoto
Way back, in a time long forgotten (pre internet) I needed a tourer to circumnavigate France. My budget was 600 GBP (about 1,100 USD back then) and there were exactly two candidates for sale in my neighborhood at that time. A 1978 GL1000, and a 1973 BMW R90S. I test rode both of them. The 40,000 mile 'wing rode smoother than a cashmere cod-piece, a surprisingly powerful couch, that with enough forethought would go where you wanted it. Unfortunately, the build quality was shite. The rusted-out exhaust was drowned out by the sound of the rear fender flapping up and down, and there was nothing on the bike that wasn't begging to be replaced.

The 90,000 mile BMW was also a bit clapped out. The fairing was missing, and the side-stand needed a bungie cord to keep it out of harms way. But I rode that POS around France, and for another 30,000 miles before it needed major work. It had been bored out to 1000cc, and required custom head gaskets, and leaked oil, but I was clocked at 137 MPH on the M25 by a cop on a K100 who couldn't keep up*. I regret selling that bike to this day.

*I didn't get a ticket, the M25 wasn't officially open at that time, and it was a publicity stunt for a Surrey (UK) Police sponsored advanced motorcycle training scheme, I was an instructor at the time. The cop challenged me.

Bruce Truxall

Aug 15, 2021, 12:10:33 PM8/15/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Dick,

You had me at "smoother than a cashmere cod-piece, a surprisingly powerful couch".   Love it!