Rust Remover

Tom

Sep 15, 2023, 6:31:34 PM9/15/23
to VinMoto
I just tried citric acid on an old vintage tool. It took the rust off to gray iron in about 5 or 6 hours. I used some boiled linseed oil to preserve the tool.

Citric acid is used for canning. You can get it at many grocery stores. Walmart carries it but was out so Amazon came through. I desolved 4 heaping table spoons into a gallon of hot water in a plastic tub. The object needs to be in the solution not merely wet. An old paint brush worked to brush off the loose rust. If it isn't obvious, all oil needs to be washed off before the acid bath.

Tom

Get Outlook for Android

Wade Dunham

Sep 18, 2023, 12:31:42 PM9/18/23
to Columbus VinMoto
I have an old Honda four wheeler tank that is crusty inside and may be a good prospect for this. Thanks!

Wade Dunham

Tom

Sep 18, 2023, 3:59:38 PM9/18/23
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I tried vinegar but the citric acid worked better and cost less. I think it can make a stronger acid. I would put some chain or screws in the tank to shake and scour out the loose rust before filling with the acid.

The rust particles sank to the bottom of the tub I used. I poured off the acid solution and saved it for later use.

Tom

Get Outlook for Android