Progress!

Andrew Dunham

Nov 20, 2020, 8:25:21 PM11/20/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
Hey everyone,

Hope you're all doing well. Just wanted to share a little progress update on our unintentional long term project bike, my 61' BSA Super Rocket.

Having been crippled from a bicycle accident in early October, I couldn't do much myself but Dad was willing to help get some work done on the BSA. Here is where we are after today's work.

IMG_1976.JPG

It had been sitting as a completed bottom end for several months now, but a few weeks ago we managed to get it into the frame and bolted down. Then today we were able to get the pistons, cylinders, and head on. It's been a really slow, way more expensive, project than I anticipated but finally feeling like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. It may not be the prettiest when it's done, but loads of mechanical/riding upgrades.

Then we've got my Norton, Dad's BSA piston explosion extravaganza, and putting my CL450 back to original. All exciting prospects, if we can manage to keep this level of progress going!

I hope everyone is doing well. Hopefully all of this madness will end soon and we can get together soon!

Bruce Truxall

Nov 21, 2020, 10:08:04 AM11/21/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Looks B-eautiful, Andy!  Keep up the good work and sharing - maybe you will motivate me.

I have been working on fixing part of our churches metal roof that peeled back like a tin can in last Sunday's wind.  Not much fun, and a long way to fall.  But gotta get it done.

Bruce

Nov 21, 2020, 11:36:03 AM11/21/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Wish I could help everyone with their work projects but had a full knee replacement two weeks ago and on the mend now. See most in the spring. TomH

Andrew Dunham

Nov 21, 2020, 8:20:34 PM11/21/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
Bruce, be careful up there! I'm not a huge fan of heights so better you than me. I'll try to post more pictures. Tomorrow may be a big day with visual improvements.

Tom H, sorry to hear that! Hopefully things are going well. I'm sure you'll be jumping around and racing the neighborhood kids in no time.

Bruce Truxall

Nov 22, 2020, 12:12:20 PM11/22/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Surf's up!  I think it looks like a wave rolling over on itself.

Photos 3 & 4 show whats been fixed so far.  The piece on the ground matches the remaining hole, but had to take it apart - too smashed up to use.

Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 8:20 PM
To: Co-OhVinmoto <co-ohv...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Co-OhVinmoto] Progress!

LCC shed roof 2020 1.jpg
LCC shed roof 2020 2.jpg
LCC shed roof 2020 3.jpeg
LCC shed roof 2020 4.jpeg
LCC shed roof 2020 5.jpg

Andrew Dunham

Nov 23, 2020, 1:55:27 AM11/23/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
Wow, Bruce. That's a pretty good amount of damage after those winds. I can imagine that is a pretty fun job. I'm sure it will be better than new with you at the helm!

Hopefully it is going better than the BSA project. With much anticipation for the day, Dad and I headed out to fit the Rocker cover, exhaust, and whatever else we could today. Almost immediately, Dad accidentally dropped a washer down the push rod tunnel of the newly fitted rocker cover. Doh! Not a huge deal, pull the cover off and remove the push rods and get it. It didn't take long, and we were able to add some transmission fluid and some other jobs in the mean time. This is where the project turns into an Andy Dunham project if I've ever seen one.

We re-fit the rocker cover, aligned the push rods (or so we thought) and things were looking great. I even took a couple of photos with the intention of posting with maximum smugness. Long story short, we think we mis-aligned the RH side intake push rod and somehow broke the cup off of the rocker arm itself! Of course it did. Why would anything else happen?

You might be asking yourself, "Ok Andy, what about the exhaust? You mentioned that earlier." Well yes, everyone. Yes I did. Turns out, the front engine mount is one long stud with nuts and washers on each side and supports both exhaust pipes (dumbest decision ever, by the way) and one side was incorrectly fitted and was let's say... essentially welded on. We ruined the threads and needed to find a new stud and nuts. Luckily I had a stud and one nut on hand, but that's not 2 nuts... so we're stuck there.

So yes, you would think if your name was Andy Dunham you would expect these things to happen, but somehow I keep expecting a different result. This is the definition of insanity, right?

Bruce Truxall

Nov 23, 2020, 9:17:24 AM11/23/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Andy, your description sounds like the script to a Three Stooges short - or a normal work session in my garage.  I actually feel better knowing that others have similar bone-headed struggles to my own.  Doh, indeed!

Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 1:55 AM