Anybody else getting a little restless to ride?

Bruce Truxall

Jan 14, 2021, 3:49:13 PM1/14/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I usually don't start feelin' like this 'till February.

Grafton Swickard

Jan 14, 2021, 4:23:34 PM1/14/21
to co-ohvinmoto
Considering I never got my bike out last year (had to go into lockdown before it warmed up enough and haven't been able to get out to get my ride since), YES!!!!! Of course, after sitting for 2 winters, the carbs will require at least 6 cleanings before it will run, so I'm ambivalent about finding a way to pick it up, now. :(

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

cle...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2021, 7:19:24 PM1/14/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Hell yes

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 14, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Grafton Swickard <gmki...@gmail.com> wrote:

Considering I never got my bike out last year (had to go into lockdown before it warmed up enough and haven't been able to get out to get my ride since), YES!!!!! Of course, after sitting for 2 winters, the carbs will require at least 6 cleanings before it will run, so I'm ambivalent about finding a way to pick it up, now. :(

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:49 PM Bruce Truxall <btru...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I usually don't start feelin' like this 'till February.

<DSCF4800.JPG>

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Wade Dunham

Jan 16, 2021, 9:50:23 AM1/16/21
to Columbus VinMoto
It seems like we have been working on stuff for a long time. At present we have three britbikes (Andy's 1961 BSA A10 & 1973 Norton Commando, and my 1970 BSA Thunderbolt) in various states of repair & reassembly, and the semi-restoration of Andy's Honda CL450 from cafe style to original. We have no shortage of work to do!

The wife and I drove to Michigan last Saturday to buy a Wixom fairing and lowers for the Moto Guzzi Eldorado. I've been wanting to get a fairing and lowers to extend the riding season a bit. The fairing will mount easily but I have to remove the tank to get to the turn signal wiring. I bought the fairing from Paul Szostak who seems to have everything for loopframe and Tonti Guzzis. He probably won't have the lowest price on the hard-to-find parts you need, but he probably has everything you need. He gave me the fifty cent tour and he has lots of cool stuff.

I used some Christmas money to buy something I've wanted for a while, a parts washing tub. Mine is a 20 gallon size with pump and came from Tractor Supply for $99.99. This washer is sold under many names from many places like Harbor Freight. Lots of people have these and have posted YouTube videos about how they have improved their washer, including adding an oil filter on the outside of the tub to filter the degreaser. Before adding 10 gallons of Purple Power to mine I changed the drain plug to a valve, added a pre-filter filter (ScotchBrite pad over the filter opening) and replaced the flexible nozzle with a flow-through brush. I used it for the first time yesterday and it works well. I cleaned the sprocker cover from the CL450 and the drive side engine case from the Thunderbolt. It took very little time to do both, especially compared to using carb/brake cleaner and a stack of towels!

So, yes, I'm anxious to ride.

Wade Dunham

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:49 PM Bruce Truxall <btru...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I usually don't start feelin' like this 'till February.

Bruce Truxall

Jan 16, 2021, 11:15:32 AM1/16/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Wade,

Thanks for the inspiring update.  A few comments (of course),

First, I don't know why exactly, but I had to laugh at your likely innocent reference to "The wife".  I guess it is better than saying "the old lady", but it strikes me a bit like calling your dog "dog"? (Absolutely no physical judgement implied - I don't even know "the woman")  Does she have a name?

I hope you know me enough to understand that I am just poking fun in my own awkward way. In fact, I am developing a mental picture of what your workshop looks like (since I have never laid eyes on that either - I call it Bike-gri La), and have to say that I am impressed, and a bit envious.  I love your parts washer, and now feel like I know it intimately.  In fact, if you tell me that you have a decent blast cabinet (and you probably will), I will officially elevate you to hero status in my eyes (which unfortunately is not worth much on the open market).

In fact, I would like to volunteer you and Andy to host a get-together / wrench session / whatever this summer.  I would come for sure.  I actually have a dream to do one myself, but my garage is nowhere near ready for the general public.  Maybe soma-day ...

I'll just sum it up with, you are doing real work on real bikes, and all I could muster was that "Davey" model.  I don't even deserve a capital letter in my name.

bruce

Jan 16, 2021, 7:43:04 PM1/16/21
to Columbus VinMoto
Bruce:

I was going to be formal and refer to her as "the missus" but thought that might be too pretentious. :-)  Doris has been "the wife" for over 35 years now, and is also known as "Toots" and "Ye Olde Lady", among others. I occasionally call her by her middle name Ann.

The workshop would not live up to your mental picture I'm afraid. It doesn't include a blast cabinet, although I have been looking for a cheap one. It would likely go in the barn, though, as we have a bigger compressor there. The shop does have a motorcycle lift, drill press, 20 ton press, compressor, too many bikes for the space, and the object of your affection:
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg

I'm pretty sure, though, that "too many bikes for the space" is an essential element for a good workshop. :-)  It's hard to imagine that we had more bikes in there until fairly recently.

An update on Andy's post about his A10 a while back: Shortly after he posted that we may have broken a chip out of a rocker arm because of a mistake during assembly, he removed the rockers. We got a better look at the damaged one and discovered that the"cup" had worn badly off-center and the missing piece had broken out previous to our working on the engine. After waiting for new parts, they are finally here and ready for installation. Like the A10, the Norton is also ready for attention after waiting months for parts and the work by Millenium to be complete. It needs only about a day of our labor. After sitting almost 18 months, my Thunderbolt is approaching the point when I have to open the wallet, but I'm looking forward to having it back.

Wade Dunham

Bruce Truxall

Jan 16, 2021, 8:14:31 PM1/16/21
to Columbus VinMoto
Sweet Mother of Cleanliness!  You could hold a Baptism in there!

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 7:41 PM

To: Columbus VinMoto <co-ohv...@googlegroups.com>
--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Dick the Brit

Jan 16, 2021, 11:37:37 PM1/16/21
to Co-OhVinmoto
Yes. This post gave me the itch. But I get to scratch...

One of the side effects of SIP for 10 1/2 months, is that all my bikes are in perfect condition and tune. (And in the case of the Steelster, even better, as it went from stock 883, to stage 1 1200).

Also, the temperature is in the low 70's this weekend, so I'm spreading my grocery store run over three days of bike trips. Today was the Steelster's turn, as I tweaked my back a little, and didn't feel like clip-ons.

Cheers, R.

IMG_2305.jpg

Jason Smith

Jan 17, 2021, 9:45:09 AM1/17/21
to CO-OHVinmoto
Now that was entertaining...thanks for the interesting update Wade and thank you both for the comic relief on this cold January day 😂

Bruce Truxall

Jan 18, 2021, 11:41:27 AM1/18/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful bike, and beautiful photo!  I love the beam of sunlight pointing to your bike.

I know we are not usually a Harley crowd, but you are not alone.  I have this Ironhead Sportster ('85 XLX) tucked away in my garage, and plan to get it out again this summer.  It is a really fun ride, just requires a bit of attitude adjustment (but what old bike doesn't?).

Jan 27, 2021, 8:42:33 AM1/27/21
to Co-OhVinmoto
I guess I'll know to be on the lookout for "Badass Bruce" if I see that Sportster out and about this summer.

Bruce Truxall

Jan 27, 2021, 11:21:55 AM1/27/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I like to think I transfer my badass-ness to whatever bike I happen to be riding.  It is sort of a universal accessory.