Corona Bored

Tom

Jul 13, 2020, 8:02:56 PM7/13/20
to VinMoto
How's all you guys doin'? At 70 years old, great party BTW, I'm feeling I'm missing a summer of fun. My XS650 has it's wheel off waiting for me to do another straightening after I respoked it and may (probably) have tightened the spokes too much. A little off. I would also like to lower the XS since I originally set it up as a corner slicer and now feel I'd like a lower cruiser. I have a set of chrome Works Performance Streetrackers on there now. $500 shocks but maybe better for a new Triumph Bonneville. If I get the front wheel done I'll try something else, I've got other shocks.

The SR500 is just sitting and ready to go. Maybe should air the tires. I've got a Lucas blue capacitor, maybe two, but I used a cheap Radio Shack cap. Sometimes I wish I wasn't into doing things as cheap as possible. I had the premium caps and bought a cheap one and had to build it to work. Oh well, it works fine.

The Triumph needs a new rear tire. The Avon Super Venom is a great tire, lots of stick. No longer made so what do I put on the back? I have a Continental radial but am curious how this will work with a bias in front?

The Ferarri is what it is.

Tt

cle...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2020, 10:36:48 PM7/13/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Hofbrau Haus has an event tomorrow night. Get out and about.
Chris L.

Sent from my iPad
--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Bruce Truxall

Jul 14, 2020, 8:00:26 AM7/14/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I went to Hofbrau 2 weeks ago and there were almost the usual number of bikes - good turnout.  Tables were not crowded, and enjoyed a beer with friends.  I will probably go back tonight as well.

Jul 14, 2020, 9:43:21 PM7/14/20
to Columbus VinMoto
I'm not really bored here as I have been working all along except for a few days when I was sick. I was tested for coronavirus and it came back negative, so back to work I went. Still not sure how what I do is "essential".

Most of my wrenching has been helping Andy with his Commando and A10. I'd like to get back to my Thunderbolt but I decided that we weren't having three Brit bikes apart at the same time!

I picked up a 1993 Suzuki GS500E for cheap and got it running and rideable without too much work or expense. It's a good runner, looks good too except for the pink graphics on red paint (WTF were you thinking, Suzuki?) and it will likely be my grandson Gavin's first street bike. It's a fun little scoot.

Most of my wrenching lately seems to be on V-twins, Kohler and Briggs & Stratton specifically. My Cub Cadet zero turn mower and my mother's Cub Cadet zero turn were purchased about 15 years ago and are starting to have issues. Most of the time we have at least one working properly so we have something to mow three yards with, but last weekend all three were down. My two, the Cub Cadet and a John Deere lawn tractor my great-uncle gave me last year, are now back in service. My mom's Cub is waiting for Andy's trained ear to return from Indianapolis to help me diagnose an odd rattle in the engine that caused me to keep it parked last weekend.

I haven't done as much riding this year as last. I have done some short rides on all the bikes, got out for about 80 miles on the SR the weekend before last, and a little over a hundred on the Guzzi the weekend before that.I made my way down past Tar Hollow State Park on the Guzzi that day and found the Family Donut Shoppe at the intersection of Routes 327 and 50 in Londonderry. I found that the vintage Wixom bags I bought last winter held a box of donuts nicely, although they were a bit shaken up when I got back home!

Looking forward to drinking a beer with someone else soon.

Wade Dunham

Bruce Truxall

Jul 15, 2020, 9:53:54 AM7/15/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Haufbrau Haus was excellent last night.  Weather perfect, XL 250 started and ran like a dream (first time out this year).   The beer was cold and good, the women efficient and structurally sound (or whatever German girls are supposed to be).  The parking lot was full of bikes, and I talked too much (because Tom G wasn't there) with good friends.  And free t-shirt night to boot; just doesn't get much better in my book.

Re: Wade's American V-twin comments - I too have a 15 year old zero turn (Kohler 22hp V).  Was cutting my grass a few days ago when I got the sudden urge to swap my sun-blocking long sleeve shirt for a sleeveless leather vest.  I then realized that my muffler had fallen off and was burning a small hole in my yard.

After the mower (and me) had cooled off, I got a look at things.  All 4 mounting bolts were gone, and the threaded holes in the thin muffler body were in lousy shape (poor design).  Replacement mufflers are around 80 bucks and I was in a hurry to finish cutting, so I just wired it back into place.  Not a bad solution actually, and I will keep the wire as a safety after I go back later and install one size larger bolts.  Or I may just see how long the wire lasts first.

I'll share that beer with you Wade; just need to find a time and place.

Jul 16, 2020, 3:48:50 AM7/16/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
I'm doing OK here in CA!

Due to circumstances (my kids being off school sick at the beginning of March) my "Shelter in place" process started early. I think I've been homebound 142 days now.

This has taught me these things:

1. While I enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship of working in an office, I can work from home too.
2. Since moving back here, I have no social life whatsoever...
3. Keeping your "quarantine" beard trimmed to a wife-mandated 1/2" is more work than just not having one . . . (And yet I still have it)

Also:

I've used the time to fix my commute bike, the Steelster, just in time for my company to close all it's physical offices, so I no longer have a commute.

I've mastered the art of using my wood-pellet grill to smoke simple-syrup for a truly excellent old-fashioned.

Last month I traded my big Harley in for a Triumph Thruxton (since the Steelster became a scrambler not a Café Racer, I still needed to scratch that itch). Now I have two "new" bikes I need to break-in!

I've realized that my back is less tolerant of clip-ons than it was 35 years ago . . .

I've discovered a road, which is 35 miles of deceptive bends, adverse cambers, kiss-your-ass turns, terrifying drop-offs, and stunning views, which passes just 1.5 miles from my house. I have since  ridden it enough (ten times) that the Trumpet is now permitted to rev to 5K.

My wife told me today that she likes my "adorable" and  "cute" new hobby, which involves me making perfectly clear ice spheres (for my cocktails).

The quest for normalcy, while elusive, is not yet abandoned.

Cheers, R,

Tom

Jul 17, 2020, 9:53:14 AM7/17/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Although old age brought the ability for me to grow a beard, something I could not do while younger, it also brought the inability to see up close.

I was reading with my magnifying glasses when I just happened to look into a mirror with them on. Oh the horror. It seems my ears can now grow a beard as well. Sigh...

I have thought about shaving the beard for summer but trimming it once a week instead of every day is just too easy.

Tt

cle...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2020, 2:32:46 PM7/17/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
The ear hair thing can be quite disturbing, and seems to come out of nowhere. Why doesn’t the barber notice and fire up the weed wacker? Who knows...
On another note I’ve got a nice 76 GT750 Water Buffalo I’m about to list for sale, should anyone have interest. I can send pics and more info. Low miles, runs, clean title, blue in color. Appreciate any leads and would express said appreciation in cash.
Thanks,
Chris L.

Sent from my iPad
--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Bruce Truxall

Jul 17, 2020, 3:07:05 PM7/17/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
EW!

Don't you just hate it when teenage girls say that?

Jul 17, 2020, 9:52:14 PM7/17/20
to Co-OhVinmoto
I've actually been working since July 1st at an auction here in Indianapolis. It's definitely been a strange experience wearing a mask (required here) and seeing the general public doing the same. It also feels very strange to be working at a time like this; but they've had very, very good sales and some cool cars have arrived and been sold. So I haven't been on a motorcycle in a few weeks. I have, however, been on my mountain bike for a little over 70 miles in the last 2 weeks. 2 wheels is 2 wheels.

I was able to sell my modern Moto Guzzi (thanks to some help from Dad.) It was a little sad to see it go as it was my first brand new bike purchase. But there are other plans for the funds. Maybe another Moto Guzzi or something else. Hopefully I can come to a decision on that in the next couple of weeks.

I've been waiting for Millennium Technologies to let me know about if my Norton cylinders can be Nikasil plated or somehow reduced in size to fit pistons properly. The clearance on +.060" pistons was over .008" so it needed help. They've had it for a little over a month and haven't exactly been speedy with getting information to me. I fear it has made its way to the back burner. I would love to get that back together and may sell it to finish my BSA Super Rocket. I'm getting tired of fixing things all of the time. Seems like every "repair" I've done recently has been a fairly major job.

Tom, I've had very good luck with Avon Roadriders on multiple bikes. Long lasting, sticky, and good looking.

Tom

Jul 18, 2020, 12:57:13 PM7/18/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Andy,
Swain Tech has a process to plate piston skirts to fill an oversize bore. I thought that might be good for the SR until I found piston slap was actually a loose headlight.

Tom