Yamaha XV920RH Bargain Alert - Craigslist

Bruce Truxall

Apr 10, 2021, 5:32:01 PM4/10/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
I've owned 3 of these - can be really nice bikes, and this one is "dert cheep" ($325).  Owner thinks it has belt drive, so clearly an expert.  Anyone need a money-making project?  Wade, don't you need another one for bookends?  I'm not allowed until I get under a dozen project bikes.  Somebody steal this bike!

1981 Yamaha XV920RH belt drive Not running. Thought I would have time to get it running. Been 2 years, now I just want it out of the garage. Has a newer battery, new jets on the carburetor. What you...

Wade Dunham

Apr 10, 2021, 6:23:22 PM4/10/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Dammit, Bruce! You knew I would send an email to the guy, didn’t you?

Wade Dunham

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Bruce Truxall

Apr 10, 2021, 6:47:05 PM4/10/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome.  And it is listed under "motorcycle parts", so probably not many people will see the ad - you have a pretty good chance at it.  275 cash?  Mention it will definitely need a new "belt drive" - those are hard to find.

Apr 11, 2021, 12:10:00 PM4/11/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
It’d go nicely with my xs400 and xs750, but the 750’s STILL in pieces in my garage, and has been for 10 years, so I should probably pass.

Wade Dunham

Apr 11, 2021, 3:12:58 PM4/11/21
to Columbus VinMoto
The XV has found its new home in my barn. Seller was a nice guy and $275 was the magic number after my initial offer of $250. I had forgotten how heavy these bikes are. I got some much needed help unloading the bike from my grandson Gavin and his friend. I managed to lose the key briefly but found it in the grass where we unloaded the bike.

Engine turns over with the start button. It has the same old gravel crushing starter sound that we all know and love(?). It has spark, but the seller stated that he could not get the slides out of the carbs, so the carbs will be job 1.

Horn, turn signals, and neutral light work. It appears the rear brake light switch is stuck and the brake light works but I can't tell if the tail light works or not. The headlight. high beam indicator, and instrument lights don't work but the fuses look OK so I'll have to break out the multimeter.

Seat is toast but the small toolbox under the seat was there, no tools though. Battery hold down is missing, as is the rear inner fender if I'm not mistaken. Right side cover was included. As usual, all turn signals are bent. The original owners manual, a Clymer manual, and the title were included.

IMG_0713.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg

Wade Dunham

Bruce Truxall

Apr 11, 2021, 3:20:53 PM4/11/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Nice job, Wade!  That is a deal, esp. with the title and extras.  Who says Craigslist is dead?

I remember those carbs well - Hitachi, I believe?  I've redone several.

Did you get a chance to discuss the belt drive?  Or maybe best not to go there.

Looking forward to seeing your progress reports.

Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2021 3:12 PM
To: Columbus VinMoto <co-ohv...@googlegroups.com>

Wade Dunham

May 1, 2021, 9:33:00 AM5/1/21
to Columbus VinMoto
Here's an update on the XV920RH:

I haven't jumped on this as quickly as I used to when I got a new old toy. After some troubleshooting I found that the headlight relay was bad. I found one in my spare parts from the previous XV, so that solved the headlight and dash light problem. The only electrical issue is the sticking (I think) rear brake light switch. It's a sumbitch to get to so it's going to wait a while.

Andy and I decided to remove the carbs to clean and inspect them as the seller mentioned he couldn't get the round things (slides) out. The slides were very stuck because of some old gas that had turned to varnish. After removing the slides, the varnish washed off easily with carb cleaner. No nasties found when disassembling the carbs except an extra spring on one of the pilot screws. Carbs are back together now after cleaning in the parts washer. They look better but would need ultrasonic cleaning or vapor blasting to look good. Yamaha lists only a fuel level spec for the carbs rather than a float height, so I'll have to check that when the carbs are back on.

In the process of removing the carb mounts/manifolds, I put a little thumb pressure on one of the manifold ears and it broke. I found a good deal on eBay for a pair of new ones with new o-rings and clamps. I initially received only the parts for one cylinder, so I contacted the seller. I received the missing parts yesterday. I also bought new manifold gaskets. I'd like to get the carbs back on the bike in the next few days, hook up the external fuel tank, and see if it runs.

Earlier this week I drained 5+ quarts of thin gas/oil from the bike instead of the 3.2 quarts of oil required. After letting it drain all night, I installed a new filter from the SR500 parts tub (XV & SR use the same filter!) and put 3 quarts of new, cheap oil in the bike. When we get it running, I'll change the filter and put some better oil in. I was happy to see (literally) the oil level in the middle of the inspection window. I thought the window may have been darkened from sitting so long but it's still pretty much transparent.

I'm currently waiting for my shop help to return from the Mecum MC auction in Las Vegas.

Wade Dunham

Tom

May 1, 2021, 12:58:18 PM5/1/21
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Wade, It's really tough to move those old bikes without a fork lift. The human kind is the best!
Tt, fully vaccinated.