Eli's XS750 Triple

Tom

Aug 22, 2020, 6:22:56 PM8/22/20
to VinMoto
Eli had no luck with three transistor ignitions so he bought a simple points setup and now has spark! He plans to work on his bike Sunday at his metal shop at Mickinley and Central close to Sideswipe. I offered to be there to see the beast start and give assistance if I can. Does anyone else want to go? We can hit Sideswipe.

Tom

Wade Dunham

Aug 22, 2020, 7:46:46 PM8/22/20
to Columbus VinMoto
Thanks for the update on Eli's bike, Tom. I was wondering if he ever got it running.

That sounds like fun and I'd love to go but we are going to Fairborn Sunday to see our daughter and her family. I hope to be able to meet up sometime soon.

Wade Dunham

Tom

Aug 24, 2020, 3:37:10 AM8/24/20
to VinMoto
It's alive! Not together but the engine fired for the first time in 2 years. Sounded good.

Grafton Swickard

Aug 24, 2020, 8:11:25 AM8/24/20
to co-ohvinmoto
Woot! There's hope for my xs750 project, yet!

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Tom

Aug 24, 2020, 9:48:26 AM8/24/20
to co-ohv...@googlegroups.com
Hey Grafton, I've learned much about the 750 triple. The transistorised ignition seems to use only one power transistor. That is allot of work for an old transistor. I'm wondering whether a more robust replacement is available?
It appears the circuit board has smaller transistors that sort the signal from the three trigger coils. I was surprised to learn the electronic ignition still uses a mechanical advance. Cool stuff. Three cheap CDI boxes and coils off of a Chinese Honda clone engine could make a powerful replacement for little money.

You need to get to work on your triple! ;-)

Tom

Grafton Swickard

Aug 24, 2020, 10:04:41 AM8/24/20
to co-ohvinmoto
Yeah, I know. :( Sadly, I don't have access to it, atm, since I'm sheltering in place with my wife at our home in Worthington and the 750 is still in pieces in the garage in Reynoldsburg. I need to get rings in the engine and get it back together before I worry about the ignition. It was in pretty good shape when I took the bike apart, aside from some melted wiring where the PO seems to have started a small fire on top of the engine block (probably blowing starter fluid into the carbs trying to get them to catch), but I'd already bought replacements for all of that. Whenever I get around to it, I will look into the honda CDI boxes and coils as an upgrade; thanks for the tip!

Cheers!
Graf

--
http://www.vinmoto.org/gallery/v/VinMoto-Garage/CO-OHVinMoto-Garages/
---

Wade Dunham

Aug 24, 2020, 6:39:19 PM8/24/20
to Columbus VinMoto
That's good news, Tom. Do you think he got 3 bad electronic boxes? I hope he didn't spend much money on those. It seems like he had the problem narrowed down to the box. Regardless, glad to hear he got it started.

Wade Dunham