Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - December 13, 2022

CNPS-SCV News

Dec 13, 2022, 8:36:07 PM12/13/22
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Tour of the Carl W. Sharsmith Herbarium at San Jose State University
Thursday, December 15, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Please join us for a winter tour at the Department of Biological Sciences, Carl W. Sharsmith Herbarium at San Jose State University. The tour will be led by Lars Rosengreen, Greenhouse Manager and Curator; and Ben Carter, Director and Associate Professor. Founded in 1945 by Dr. Carl Sharsmith, the herbarium at San Jose State University houses a collection of more than 27,000 pressed plants(18,000 vascular plants and more than 9,000 bryophytes).

Many specimens were collected over Dr. Sharsmith’s long career as a university professor and natural history ranger atYosemite National Park.The herbarium is actively curated and a member of the Consortium of California Herbaria.Most of the specimens are California natives, with a focus on plants found in the Bay Area and the Sierra Nevada.

As part of the visit, you will have a chance to view notable specimens in the collection as well as view taxa that may be of special interest to attendees. You will also have a hands-on opportunity to learn how to mount and preserve specimens, and learn about the process of imaging them and adding them to the herbarium’s collection.

This is a CNPS members-only tour. Please be sure your CNPS membership is current.
Space is limited to 20, and RSVP is required to join us for the tour; no drop-ins please.
To register or for more information, please email Dee Himes at dee4cnps @ gmail.com. A detailed email will be sent to you a few days before the tour.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP IN MEETUP.

[2] Photo Group Meeting
Friday, December 16, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/bpbbtsydcqbfc/

The CNPS SCV Photo Group meets via zoom on 4th Fridays, 7-8:50pm. In this supportive peer group, beginners and experts are equally welcome. Folks who just want to see pictures and hear photo tips are welcome too.

Register at the link below for the next meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-iqqzMpGNzp2osMkgoP48j7WucbIPnS

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with a zoom link for the meeting.

If you have pictures to share, sign up for a slot. Share your pictures, techniques, and ideas from your desktop via zoom. Slots are 20 minutes each; plan your photos and discussions accordingly. Presenters receive a 1-minute-remaining alert. Signup for a slot at the link below:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-cnps18

To participate in other Photography Group activities, join the email list:
http://www.cnps-scv.org/index.php/activities/photography-group

[3] 1st Day of Winter Bird and Plant ID Walk, Lake Cunningham Park
Saturday, December 17, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/289317143/

At the onset of Winter, join us for a beginner's bird and plant identification walk through Lake Cunningham Park. This lake is a major destination for waterfowl and migratory birds and its native garden draws many birds due to its habitat value. On this walk, Vicki Silvas-Young will show you how to identify the common birds of our area, while Arvind Kumar will identify the native plants that they depend on for food and shelter.

The distance is 4 miles round-trip on a level path. Bring a hat, water, your bird and plant lists, and binoculars. Wear comfortable walking shoes.

Directions: Meet at the Marina parking lot at 9 am. The Marina parking lot is on the western shore of the lake, next to Raging Waters, at the opposite side of the park from the main entrance on White Road. Parking fee is $6. In Google Maps, search for "Lake Cunningham Marina" (37.3353176 -121.8120059) to be directed to the Marina. RSVP is required to join us for the walk. Space is limited. No drop-ins please.

Co-sponsored by CNPS, Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society and Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[4] The Most Wonderful Cleanup of the Year! - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, December 17, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-most-wonderful-cleanup-of-the-year-registration-465853098157

Spend a few hours and help us work together for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup. Come celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

Each group of 25 people will be directed to different areas of the park to maintain the safety of all volunteers.
To help with social distancing and to ensure that everyone who attends is registered, the location will be provided after registration is complete. Community service hours available. Groups Welcome.

[5] Afternoon Hike at Mindego Hill - by Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST)
Sunday, December 18, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/afternoon-hike-at-mindego-hill-tickets-467985686787

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust for a beautiful 5-mile hike from the Russian Ridge Open Space Preserve to the top of the POST-protected Mindego Hill. You will be guided by POST ambassadors who will share details about how we protected this beautiful property featuring panoramic views of redwood ridges and undulating hillsides.

The hike is strenuous at about 5 miles round trip with about 1,000 feet of elevation gain, so be prepared for a workout! Athletic wear and sturdy shoes are recommended! If you’d like to bring your own hiking poles, you’re more than welcome.

Protected by POST and recently opened to the public by the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District, Mindego Hill is an excellent example of how POST works with various partners to protect some of the most threatened lands in our area.

Please note that dogs are not allowed at this Community Hike and that all minors must be accompanied by a parent and guardian for the entirety of the hike.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.