Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - December 5, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Dec 6, 2023, 12:56:23 AM12/6/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, December 8, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Contact Friday leader Paul Heiple at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org.

New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

Sturdy gloves are recommended; you might also want to bring sunscreen, water, a hat, layered clothing and wear long sleeves/pants. Location varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, December 9, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297459874/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[3] Habitat Restoration: Spanish Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, December 7, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve - Jacques Ridge
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=863966

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive Spanish broom at Jacques Ridge in Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove Spanish broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[4] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, December 7, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Thornewood Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=863967

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Thornewood Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[5] Untold Story of Oaks - by Midpen
Friday, December 8, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Russian Ridge Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/untold-story-oaks

Discover hidden facets of the majestic oak tree while exploring in the oak woodland forest with Docent Naturalists Ann McCarty, Catherine Crawford-Swent, and Helena Cohen. You'll learn about oak life cycles and marvel at the shapes, textures, and varieties of these trees in their natural habitat. Bring your sense of curiosity and wonder on this moderately-paced hike on the Ancient Oaks, Bo Gimbal, and Ridge trails.

[6] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, December 9, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Coal Creek Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=863968

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Coal Creek Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[7] Womxn in the Weeds Workday at Pearson-Arastradero - by Peninsula Open Space Trust
Saturday, December 9, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Pearson-Arastradero Preserve
https://openspacetrust.org/event/womxn-in-the-weeds-workday-at-pearson-arastradero/

Calling all women and non-binary identifying community members! Join Peninsula Open Space Trust and Grassroots Ecology for an affinity group event to restore California habitat at Pearson-Arastradero Preserve. Our facilitators have years of experience building welcoming and inclusive spaces for community members. This space will be held for cisgender women, transgender women, and nonbinary people to gather and develop a sense of belonging in the outdoors.

[8] Coyote Creek Visitor Center BioBlitz - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz Club
Sunday, December 10, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Coyote Creek Visitor Center at Anderson Lake - 19245 Malaguerra Ave, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coyote-creek-visitor-center-bioblitz-registration-750602541407

A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. At a BioBlitz, scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to get an overall count of the plants, animals, fungi, and other organisms that live in a place.

Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz Club in cataloging and documenting all of the wildlife that reside there. Docents will guide you and teach you to use the iNaturalist app on your smartphone. Flowers, trees, butterflies, dragonflies, beetles, birds, and squirrels. We love them all - now let's go find them!

[9] Oaks and Open Space! - by Open Space Authority
Sunday, December 10, 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Rancho Canada del Oro Open Space Preserve - 4289 Casa Loma Road, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oaks-and-open-space-tickets-759912848787

Come learn about oak woodlands, creekside habitat, and the history of these open spaces.

We will begin with a mindfulness meditation in nature and an introduction of the Seek app for identifying plants and the Merlin app for identifying birds on your phones. Download these free apps before the event!

This leisurely introductory hike begins on the 0.5-mile paved Llagas Loop Trail around a meadow, then to the 1.0-mile dirt trails along a portion of the Llagas Creek Trail and Longwall Canyon Trail.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.