Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 6, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Feb 6, 2024, 9:51:47 PMFeb 6
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] 50th Anniversary of the CNPS Rare Plant Inventory, a talk by Aaron Sims
Thursday, February 8, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298592506/

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of rare plant ranking in California and the CNPS Rare Plant Inventory! CNPS maintains an inventory of California's rare and endangered plants. This data is used to fight extinction, engage citizen scientists and inform land use decisions statewide. Aaron Sims, the CNPS Rare Plant Program Director, will take us on an expedition through the history of the program. You'll see the tremendous impact it's made in plant conservation in California and learn about some of the rare plants in our Chapter.

You can visit the CNPS Rare Plant Inventory online at https://rareplants.cnps.org/.

Aaron Sims is the CNPS Rare Plant Program Director and is responsible for overseeing and managing the status review process for additions and changes to the CNPS Rare Plant Inventory (RPI), updating and maintaining the RPI, and supporting and monitoring the Rare Plant Treasure Hunt, California Plant Rescue, and Special Projects programs of CNPS. He received a degree in Ecology and Systematic Biology with an emphasis in Botany from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo.

This talk will be live-streamed simultaneously on Zoom (requires advance registration) and YouTube (registration NOT required).

[2] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, February 9, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3285/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, February 10, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298693017/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, February 10, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park - 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298694835/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided. First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Dirca Walk at San Francisco Peninsula Watershed (San Mateo County)
Saturday, February 10, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: San Andreas Lake, California
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298021416/

Join Chapter Rare Plants Chair Don Thomas to see the rare Western Leatherwood (Dirca occidentalis) in the Crystal Springs Watershed, along the Sawyer Camp Trail. This will be an easy slow-paced walk of about four miles roundtrip, starting at the trailhead on Hillcrest Blvd and Highway 280, with a stop for lunch.

Dirca is one of the first plants to bloom each year, revealing its bright yellow hanging flowers from its bare winter branches. We will also have a chance to see other early blooming plants, such as hound's tongue (Cynoglossum grande) and trillium (Trillium chloropetalum). Dirca is a rare paleoendemic plant native only to the San Francisco Bay Area, ranked by CNPS as 1B.2.

Wear warm clothes and bring water and lunch.

RSVP is required to join us for the hike. Space is limited. No drop-ins please.

We will meet at the trailhead where Hillcrest Blvd meets Skyline Blvd immediately West of Hwy 280. Parking is available under the Hwy 280 overpass at Hillcrest Blvd, and along Skyline Blvd.

Directions from the South
Coming up Hwy 280, heading north, take exit 40 for Millbrae Ave. Continue on Skyline Rd. Turn left at Hillcrest Blvd under Hwy 280.

Directions from the North
Coming from Hwy 280, heading south, take exit 41 for Larkspur Dr toward Millbrae Ave. Continue left onto Larkspur Dr, then turn right onto Skyline Blvd. Travel about 0.6 miles, then turn right at Hillcrest Blvd under Hwy 280.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[6] Help needed to conduct SOD blitzes
March 15 to June 30
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/?page_id=2495
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/

Sudden Oak Death (SOD), a serious exotic disease, is threatening the survival of tanoak and several oak species in California. Currently SOD is found in the wildlands of 14 coastal California counties, from Monterey to Humboldt. While patchy in distribution, with each passing year, the swath of infection continues to become more contiguous.

Dr. Matteo Garbelotto, Director of the U.C. Berkeley Forest Pathology and Mycology Laboratory, is seeking the help of the community to study the extent of SOD in our local forests.

SOD blitzes inform and educate the community about Sudden Oak Death, get locals involved in detecting the disease, and produce detailed local maps of disease distribution. The map can then be used to identify those areas where the infestation may be mild enough to justify proactive management. Several government agencies and local land owners rely on the results of the SOD Blitzes to make important decisions.

Each area/county selects a preferred weekend (or couple of days midweek) to run the local blitz between March 15 and June 30. However, more than one blitz per week can be managed, if need be. A Friday/Saturday to Tuesday event is recommended, (but again, you are free to be as creative as you want or need to be). The activity will be organized similar to the previous two years. This involves online registration and training, and then pick up and return of materials at local SOD Blitz stations that are normally manned for two hours, the very first day of each Blitz. Return by mail can also be arranged.

So, if you have been an organizer of a SOD Blitz last year, or you would like to organize one in the spring, now is the time to pick your preferred dates for the 2024 SOD Blitzes. Please pick the best and the second best option for your local blitz event. Write down your two choices in an email and send it to matteog @ berkeley.edu . Please write 2024 SOD BLITZ DATES in the subject line.

[7] What's in a Name? Mudflat Margins - by Midpen
Wednesday, February 7, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Ravenswood Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/whats-name-mudflat-margins

Earn your on-trail "PhD" on this culminating hike focusing on binomial nomenclature. Join Docent Naturalists Frances Reneau and Helena Cohen on a leisurely-paced wander to dissect the names of various salt marsh plants, both native and non-native species. Why is pickleweed called pickleweed and cordgrass called cordgrass? What are their scientific names, and what do they mean?

Meet at the Ravenswood Parking Area. From Highway 101, exit on University Avenue. Follow University Ave. north (about four long blocks) to Bay Road.  Turn right on Bay Rd. and follow it to the very end (about 1.2 miles). The preserve entrance and parking lot are marked with large signs.

[8] Naturalist Training - Nature Interpretation for the Rest of Us - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Wednesday, February 7, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Location: Zoom
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/naturalist-training-nature-interpretation-for-the-rest-of-us-tickets-778397496867

During this Naturalist Training, we will explore effective ways to share your passion for nature in this presentation by Michael Hawk from Jumpstart Nature. Learn to make any nature topic engaging. Whether a field trip, casual hike, or chance encounter, learn how to make nature experiences fun, engaging, and relevant. You'll also learn how to connect with your audience and turn experiences into the beginning of a journey of discovery.

Note: Even if you are not able to attend, please register for the recorded presentation so you can receive the YouTube link to the recorded video, which will be released within a couple of days of the event.

Presenter: Michael Hawk is the founder of Jumpstart Nature, an organization with a mission to catalyze everyone to help the environment. As part of Jumpstart Nature, he produces two highly ranked nature podcasts: Nature's Archive and the Jumpstart Nature Podcast.

[9] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 8, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve - Alma Trail
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=881804

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French Broom at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[10] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 8, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Long Ridge Open Space Preserve - Conley Cabin
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=883463

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at the Conley cabin, a closed area, at Long Ridge Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[11] The Magic of Oak Woodlands - by Midpen
Friday, February 9, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Windy Hill Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/magic-oak-woodlands-0

Ramble through oak woodlands with Docent Naturalists Bobbie Riedel and Nancy Weintraub while discovering how these iconic trees support more diversity than any other California plant community. Follow the Betsy Crowder, Spring Ridge, and Hamms Gulch trails on this moderately-paced walk, observe different native oak species to find out what makes them unique, and learn ways the Ohlone have been using and shaping this habitat for thousands of years.

[12] Winter BioBlitz at Hellyer Park
Sunday, February 11, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Hellyer Park - 996 Hellyer Ave (Cottonwood Lake - Southwest trail entrance), San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-bioblitz-at-hellyer-park-registration-788446644137

Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful, Bioblitz Club, Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society, and Peninsula Open Space Trust for a BioBlitz during Student Volunteering Week!

A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. At a BioBlitz, scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to get an overall count of the plants, animals, fungi, and other organisms that live in a place. Join the BioBlitz at Hellyer Park where you and experts come together to explore, document, and catalog all of the living things that reside there. Docents will guide you and teach you to use the iNaturalist app on your smartphone to record all the living things you encounter. Flowers, trees, butterflies, dragonflies, and beetles, birds, and squirrels. We love them all - now let's go find them!

The best part? All you need to participate is a smart phone with the iNaturalist app! So bring your family and prepare for an in-depth tour of this great trail.

[13] Lunar New Year AAPI Volunteer Workday at Stulsaft Park - by POST and Grassroots Ecology
Sunday, February 11, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Stulsaft Park - 1 Recreation Way, Redwood City
https://openspacetrust.org/event/lunar-new-year-aapi-volunteer-workday-at-stulsaft-park/

Join POST (Peninsula Open Space Trust) and Grassroots Ecology for an AAPI community event to restore habitat for the Lunar New Year!

We will install native plants and take the opportunity to appreciate this act of new beginnings while sharing the successes of past and present restoration efforts. Volunteers should expect to work outside in rain or shine, plant native plants, and learn about habitat restoration and the unique landscape of Stulsaft Park. We will end our time together with a walk that showcases plants growing in the park!

[14] California Water Culture; an overview of how California's unique waterways have been transformed, how it happened, and what it means
Monday, February 12, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Zoom
https://www.cnps.org/event/california-water-culture-an-overview-of-how-californias-unique-waterways-have-been-transformed-how-it-happened-and-what-it-means

California is unique and arguably infamous for many reasons. Water in California is beginning to grab the attention it deserved long ago as the once waterlogged landscape is unrecognizable farmlands, leveed deltas, and expanded deserts. How did California's water go unnoticed for so long only to become a hot topic?

This talk will overview the ties between California's culture and how it revolves around water & its plants and how the relationship has evolved over the past couple hundred years. Can California balance the needs of the citizens, the landscape, and the economy? This question may not be answered in this talk but insights and realistic perspectives will be given and discussed that may help open a productive dialogue.

About the speaker, Tina Donnelly: Tina has lived in California's Central Valley most of her life and has been in the Natural Resources Management field for over ten years. Tina has been presenting on Water Resources Management among other topics to youth all over the state to help future generations form their own opinions by giving them information they may not have had prior access to.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.