Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 30, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

May 1, 2024, 12:30:47 AMMay 1
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Bringing Beauty and Biodiversity to an Urban Preserve, a talk by Stephanie Saffouri (with Laura Powers and Petra Boester)
Thursday May 2, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Community Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300649079/

Note: This talk will be held in-person at the Cupertino Library and will not be available online.

McClellan Ranch Preserve is part of a 60-acre open space and recreational area owned by the City of Cupertino. Harnessing the power of volunteers, youth stewards, and neighbors, Grassroots Ecology has helped transform this previously-degraded habitat into a lush and biodiverse meadow. We will reflect on the successes and challenges of this 10-year restoration project and provide strategies for gardeners interested in revitalizing or adding to their own projects.

Stephanie Saffouri is the project lead in charge of habitat restoration at McClellan Ranch Preserve in Cupertino. She studied plant ecology and loves to teach people about the amazing nature right under their noses. Laura and Petra are placed at McClellan as Corpsmembers in the Watershed Stewards Program. They are learning all they can about California ecology, restoration and community engagement. All three are Bay Area natives, just like their favorite plants!

Grassroots Ecology is a nonprofit organization dedicated to caring for public lands and waters across Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.

[2] Greeters needed for talk
Thursday, May 2, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Community Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Stephanie Saffouri from Grassroots Ecology will be speaking at the Cupertino library on "Bringing Beauty and Biodiversity to an Urban Preserve". We need one more greeter for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

[3] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, May 3, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3297/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday May 4, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S. White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300410636/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday May 4, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park - 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300700388/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided. First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[6] Calero County Park Native Plant Hike
Sunday May 5, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Calero County Park, 23205 McKean Rd, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300449225/

Enjoy the pristine trails of Calero County Park with Tom Lee and Arvind Kumar. We will hike through serpentine grasslands, chaparral and oak woodlands. Some flowers seen in past years at this season include Ithuriel's spear, lupine, fiddleneck and iris along with red-winged blackbirds.

This hike will be about 3 miles long with an elevation gain of 500 feet. The trail starts with some climb, and wraps around the Calero Reservoir. Wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots. Wear appropriate layering and a hat. Bring snacks, a sack lunch, and liquids for the day. Dress in layers. Heavy rain cancels.

RSVP is required. RSVPs will open up one week before the event. Space is limited. No drop-ins, please.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] May Naturehood 101: Spring to Summer Garden Needs
Thursday May 2, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/may-naturehood-101-national-monument-campaigns

As we move from late Spring toward Summer, learn how to assess and plan for your maintenance needs with Oscar Lucario, a landscaper designer and land manager with over 20 years of experience in organic sustainable maintenance in Marin and Sonoma counties. We'll look at the effects of a long wet season, how to plan for the dry season, when to prune, and other garden maintenance planning.

The link to sign up for the webinar is available on the website listed above.

[8] Bair Island Walking Tour - by Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST)
Friday May 3, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://openspacetrust.org/event/bair-island-walking-tour-9/

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust for a walking tour at Bair Island! You'll be guided by POST ambassadors who will share the history of this beautiful protected space, information about the species that live there, and what you can do to contribute.

This easy 1 mile walk with little to no elevation gain will highlight the wetlands and the marine life that live within, such as: Endangered Ridgeway's rails and salt marsh harvest mice. Also cottontail rabbits, peregrine falcons, pelicans, egrets, terns, and stilts. We recommend bringing binoculars to catch sight of some of the beautiful birds at Bair Island.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.