Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - March 7, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Mar 7, 2023, 9:52:17 PM3/7/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Request for Volunteers for Cali Night and the Aztec Dancers of Calpulli Tonalehqueh
Friday-Saturday, March 10-11
https://www.aztecadancers.com/mexica-new-year
https://www.facebook.com/events/453347210053065
Location: Emma Prusch Park, 647 S King Rd, San Jose

The Mexica New Year is going to be celebrated in Emma Prusch Park in San Jose from March 10-12. Our chapter will have a table at the event and we need volunteers to staff the event. Our table needs to be staffed at the following times:
Friday, March 10 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Saturday, March 11 from 12:00 Noon - 4:00 PM

Slots are two hours long. There will be at least two people per slot. This is a great opportunity to introduce people to our chapter, let them know about the benefits of native plants and encourage them to sign up to be members. Flyers, brochures and membership forms will be provided. Interested? Send an email to priya4cnps @ gmail.com with the day and time that you prefer.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, March 11, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcfbpb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Anza Borrego State Park Camping Trip (CNPS MEMBERS ONLY TRIP)
Monday - Friday March 13-17

Join us for four nights of camping at Anza Borrego State Park. Joe Cernac will lead this event with other botanists including Ken Himes joining.  We'll meet on Monday evening, and hike/ botanize on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It is too early to predict if the rains will bring a great show, but it is looking positive.

The cost for camping will be between $45-55 per person for four nights, depending on the number of people. Plan on travel days ahead and behind the hiking days March 14-16. Anza Borrego is in San Diego county, ten hours away from the Bay Area. We may announce informal stops on the way there and back home for those who can take 2 days travel.  Because camping in the park as well as nearby hotels are already sold out, you should reserve in the CNPS group campsite with Patricia Evans by calling 650-949-2801. If you email at paevans @ stanfordalumni.org, you are not guaranteed a spot until she calls you back, so please include a phone number.

[4] Horticulture Scholarship applications are open
https://www.cnps-scv.org/education/scholarships/32-scholarships/390-horticulture-scholarship

The Horticulture Scholarship is open to any community college horticulture student who attends an accredited college in our Chapter area or lives in our Chapter area and attends an accredited college anywhere, is currently enrolled, and has taken (or is taking) a California native plant class as part of their horticulture program. The scholarship amount is $750 and will be awarded to one student annually. The scholarship is intended to help with scholastic expenses such as books and tuition.

Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023. For more details, and for instructions on how to apply, please click on the link above.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[5] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, March 9, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=651711
Location: Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[6] Tick Talk: Science and Safety - by POST
Thursday, March 9, 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
https://openspacetrust.org/event/tick-talk-science-and-safety/

Ticks give me the icks! If you too are wary of these teensy arachnids and concerned about contracting Lyme disease, then this is the online event for you. Our goal is to keep you safe on the trails by preparing you with tips and turning fear into knowledge. With the right anti-tick strategy, you can travel through our open spaces with a bit more comfort and ease.

[7] Bay Trail Boardwalking - byPOST
Saturday, March 11, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Ravenswood Preserve

What does it take to restore salt marshes to ther natural beauty? Meander along the boardwalk with Docent Naturalists Bobbie Riedel, Linda Adler, and Melissa Hero and learn about the largest tidal wetland restoration project on the West Coast. You'll discover the rich mosaic of salt marsh habitat, observe the impact of tidal systems, and look for shorebirds along the way. This leisurely-paced walk along the Bay Trail will leave you with a new appreciation for the lure of life among the wetlands.

[8] Wildflower Walk at Rancho Cañada del Oro - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, March 1,1 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wildflower-walk-at-rancho-canada-del-oro-tickets-539815973107

Join the Open Space Authority on the monthly series of walks at Rancho Canada del Oro and witness the wide variety and ever-changing displays of wildflowers at this preserve. Each month new wildflowers are expected to bloom. The leisurely paced 5-mile loop hike along the Mayfair Ranch and Longwall Canyon Trails includes frequent stops to enjoy the wildflowers and a 700-foot elevation gain to the lunch spot at the midpoint. Please bring a lunch, water, warm layers, and comfortable hiking shoes.

[9] Arranging California Native Plants in Bouquets, Garlands, and Wreaths
Monday, March 13, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/arranging-california-native-plants-in-bouquets-garlands-and-wreaths

Speaker: Cynthia Gingerich
Join us to learn more about arranging California native plants in bouquets, garlands and wreaths.
Register in advance for this meeting:
https://cnps-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZModu2oqD0jG9anltBpq6xJGf4NhcGBDL6C
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

[10] Dudleya delgadilloi and Dudleya cochimiana: Two New Rare Species from Isla Cedros, Baja California, Mexico
Monday, March 13 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/dudleya-delgadilloi-and-dudleya-cochimiana-two-new-rare-species-from-isla-cedros-baja-california-mexico

Speaker: Stephen McCabe
Dudleya delgadilloi and Dudleya cochimiana: Two New Rare Species from Isla Cedros, Baja California, Mexico
Stephen's presentation will cover two new rare species from Baja California, and his recently published article in Madroño.

[11] Trashy Tuesdays Cleanup! - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Tuesday, March 14, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trashy-tuesdays-cleanup-registration-499678912077
Location: Tully Ballfields

Spend a couple of hours to work together for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup at the Tully Ballfields. Celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.