Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - June 11, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Jun 12, 2024, 12:48:48 AMJun 12
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday June 14, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3303/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[2] Community Work Day at the Native Plant Garden in Kirk Park
Saturday June 15, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Kirk Park Native Garden - Briarwood Drive & Wawona Drive, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/301258181/

Volunteers meet at the garden on Saturdays from 9 AM to 11 AM, weather permitting, for weeding, watering and other maintenance activities. Occasionally there will be other tasks such as mulching and planting. Community volunteers, including families with children over 6, are always welcome! First-time volunteers will need to fill out a form from the City of San Jose available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often.

Directions: From Meridian Avenue, go east on Foxworthy Avenue. Turn left on Briarwood Drive and go about a block. The park is on your left. Park along Briarwood Drive. The garden is along the cement walkway that parallels the north edge of the park.

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Plant ID & Beach Adventure at Wilder Ranch & Fern Grotto
Saturday June 15, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Wilder Ranch State Park - 1401 Coast Rd, Santa Cruz
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300449831/

New Date: will be on Saturday (was originally scheduled for Sunday)

Join California Naturalist Divya Shenoy to explore the coastal bluffs of Wilder Ranch and enjoy the beautiful Fern Grotto Beach. On this beginner native plant walk, we will walk along the Old Landing Cove Trail loop and stop by Fern Grotto Beach to take a lunch break and explore!

At the end, you can join us as we visit the Wilder Ranch Interpretive Center & Park Store to learn about the park's farming history. This field trip is a family friendly event and no advanced hiking ability or plant identification experience is required. We will see unique coastal plants, including seaside daisy, golden yarrow, and various fern species. We may also see sea lions, butterflies, whales, sea otters and birds such as cormorants, pelicans, and gulls.

Our walk will be about 3 miles long. The pace will be a stroll with water breaks, pauses to view plants, and a 30-minute snack break and exploration at the beach. There is a short dirt trail that is moderately steep, to get to the beach, so hiking poles are recommended for those who need additional stability and support. Please wear comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen and a hat. Bring a snack or early lunch and plenty of water. Optionally, you can bring plant and bird identification guides and lists, binoculars and extra sandals for the beach.

Directions: We will park and meet at 10:00am in the “Wilder Ranch Day Use” parking lot, which has a restroom close by.

RSVP is required. Space is limited. No drop-ins, please.

[4] Drought-tolerant Gardening for Native Bees, a talk by John Kehoe
Tuesday June 18, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Saratoga Library Program Room - 13650 Saratoga Ave., Saratoga
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300725782/

Note: This talk will be held in-person at the Saratoga library and will not be available online.

We all know about the European honey bee, but what about the native bees that live here in the Santa Clara Valley? These local insects help pollinate our ornamental and edible plants too! Once you know what to look for, you'll see over a dozen bee species that live in our urban setting-especially among locally-growing native plants. Find out how planting even a few select natives can enrich your garden, save water and attract even more native (and honey) bees.

John Kehoe is a longtime member of CNPS, iNaturalist, The Xerces Society and a certified California Naturalist. He is a regular volunteer at assorted Grassroots Ecology, Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful BioBlitz events as well as at various CNPS functions. His research interests include studying biodiversity, especially native bee ecology. He shares these interests by way of his photography on iNaturalist and Flickr.

[5] Greeters needed for talk
Tuesday June 18, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Saratoga Library Program Room - 13650 Saratoga Ave., Saratoga
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

John Kehoe will be speaking at the Saratoga library on "Drought-tolerant Gardening for Native Bees". We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[6] Habitat Restoration Internship Info Session - by Grassroots Ecology
Thursday June 13, 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Location: Online
https://www.grassrootsecology.org/event-calendar/2024/6/7/habitat-restoration-internship-42dx7-4p6gy-agglt-ga4zs-gnmdp-ncm6e-w77wt-d6xp--yldbj

Learn more about the Habitat Restoration Internship by attending this virtual informational session. Grassroots Ecology's 10-month paid habitat restoration internship allows emerging professionals to explore the environmental conservation career path through hands-on fieldwork, community engagement, and in-depth training.

The program's goal is to support personal and professional growth for those underrepresented in the environmental field, such as those identifying as Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, low-income, and/or first-generation college students. Responsibilities include invasive plant management, native plant revegetation, site maintenance (e.g. watering, mulching), volunteer facilitation, and monitoring.

[7] Volunteer at Byrne Preserve - by Grassroots Ecology
Friday, June 14, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Byrne Preserve - 27210 Altamont Road, Los Altos Hills
https://www.grassrootsecology.org/event-calendar/2024/6/14/volunteer-at-byrne-preserve-re9gr-ebt8e-b4lls-rwrf6-ac4sy

Help us restore a wildlife corridor that provides critical habitat for plants and animals at Byrne Preserve! Volunteers should expect to:
    Hike on hilly terrain
    Remove invasive plant species and care for native plants
    Learn about ecological restoration techniques

[8] Butterflies of Sierra Azul - by Midpen
Friday, June 14, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: Sierra Azul Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/butterflies-sierra-azul-2

Docent Naturalists Jan Hintermeister, Vivian Neou, Sarah Schoen, and Ray Curiel will be your traveling companions on this leisurely-paced hike through varied habitats of the Bald Mountain and Mt. Umunhum trails. After exploring trails from the Bald Mountain Parking Area you’ll carpool/caravan to the Mt. Umunhum summit for further discovery. Although the focus is on butterflies, you'll see many other plant and animal species on the shoulders and summit of this 3,486-foot peak. Bring a lunch for a short break and binoculars if you have them.

[9] Native Plant and Pollinator Day - by Santa Clara County Parks & Recreation
Saturday June 15, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Martial Cottle Park, San Jose
https://parks.sccgov.org/native-plant-and-pollinator-day

Celebrate National Pollinator Week by joining Martial Cottle Park at their 3rd Annual Native Plant and Pollinator Day event. Learn about the importance of pollinators and how native plants help them. CNPS will have a booth here to promote the message of the importance of native plants for pollinators. We would love your help! If you are interested in helping staff the booth, please email Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com

Native Plant and Pollinator Guided Walk:
There will be a 30-minute guided walk which will take place on paved paths (0.5 mile round trip). Families are encouraged to attend. Meet at the Martial Cottle Park Partner Lot at 9:00 AM or 10:00 AM to join. Space is limited on the guided walk. Registration is recommended for the walk. Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/native-plant-and-pollinator-day-walk-tickets-890515284187

Besides the guided walk, you will be able to enjoy exhibitor booths, crafts and activities which will run from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

[10] In Search of Soap Root - by Open Space Authority
Saturday June 15, 2:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: Rancho Canada del Oro Open Space Preserve - 4289 Casa Loma Road, Morgan Hill
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/in-search-of-soap-root-guided-hike-tickets-906348742487

As spring almost turns to summer, the soaproot plant prepares to bloom when evening comes. Join docent Paul on a late afternoon hike along the Mayfair Ranch and Longwall Canyon Trails and witness these flowers coming to life! This 5-mile hike includes an elevation gain of 700 feet. There will be frequent stops along the trail to look at and learn more about this beautiful plant.

[11] Weeding for Wildlife - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Sunday June 16, 8:45 AM - 11:45 AM
Location: Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge - Environmental Education Center - 1751 Grand Boulevard, San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/weeding-for-wildlife-tickets-875404838437

Come out to the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge for a few hours to restore wildlife habitat. While you are removing invasive vegetation, planting new plants, or laying down mulch, you'll get to enjoy fresh Bay air, see lots of birds, and learn from restoration experts about why this work is so important.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.