Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 7, 2023

已查看 7 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

CNPS-SCV News

未读,
2023年2月7日 21:41:242023/2/7
收件人 CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, February 11, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcdbpb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[2] Dirca Walk at Pulgas Ridge Open Space Preserve (San Mateo County)
Saturday, February 11, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/290432982/

Join Don Thomas for a 3- to 4-mile hike with 500+ feet in elevation change, to search for the elusive Western leatherwood at Pulgas Ridge OSP near Edgewood Road. Western leatherwood (Dirca occidentalis) is a rare paleoendemic plant native only to the San Francisco Bay Area, ranked by CNPS as 1B.2. (Read more about CNPS rare plant ranks at www.cnps.org/rare-plants/california-rare-plant-ranks.)

Dirca is one of our earliest flowering native plants, blooming in mid-to-late winter before most other natives begin blooming in the spring. We will look for late-flowering Dirca along the Dusky Woodrat Trail. We may be able to observe other early-blooming plants, such as manzanitas and gooseberries.

Before signing up, please read about Pulgas Ridge OSP at www.openspace.org/preserves/pulgas-ridge.

We will meet at the parking area at the corner of Edmonds Road and Crestview Drive. To get to the parking lot from Edgewood Road, turn onto Crestview near the entrance to Edgewood Park and then take an immediate left turn onto Edmonds.

Contact Don at donethomasd @ gmail.com for more information. Trails are narrow at most parts and may be slippery and steep in some. Wear hiking shoes and we recommend bringing hiking poles. Bring water and snacks for an optional lunch in the picnic area following the walk.

Space is limited. No drop-ins please. Heavy rain cancels.

[3] Blazing Star Mailing Party
Thursday, February 23, 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the March-April 2023 newsletter. We are still short of a few people to help out for the morning shift. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. Snacks and drinks will be provided. The mailing party will be held at the chapter's office at the Peninsula Conservation Center, located at 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303.

Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. For COVID-safety, the room will be kept ventilated by leaving the windows and doors open. Please dress warmly. We will wear masks when we are not grabbing a bite to eat. Please sign up only if your COVID vaccinations are up-to-date.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[4] Bay Area Older Adults - Vistas of La Honda Creek - by Midpen and Bay Area Older Adults
Wednesday, February 8, 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/bay-area-older-adults-vistas-la-honda-creek

La Honda Creek has grown from 255 to more than 6,100 acres and has gone through multiple land stewardship projects to improve the wildlife habitat, allow for grazing and easier public access. This hike will take participants to upper La Honda Creek, where they will travel through forest and redwoods. Hikers will walk up to a vista point that has panoramic views of the ocean and the Santa Cruz mountains. During the trek, participants will learn about the threatened species that make their home in this preserve. To register, please visit bayareaolderadults.org/bao-hikes.

[5] Finding Connections - by Midpen
Wednesday, February 8, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/finding-connections

Join Docent Naturalists Bobbie Riedel and Mike Lohr to explore the less-traveled trails of Long Ridge Preserve on a moderately-paced hike. You'll discover portions of the preserve that interconnect with other open space areas, and learn about native plants and the wildlife they support. As you hike along the Skyline-to-the-Sea and the Nutmeg trails, you'll catch views of the Deep Gulch ravine and the ridge for which the preserve is named.

[6] Scenic Aerobic Hike - by  Midpen
Wednesday, February 8, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/scenic-aerobic-hike-5

Join Docent Naturalists Mary Brunkhorst, Fran Keeler, Lindsay Joye, and Inga Buyse for a moderately-paced, exercise-focused hike at Picchetti Ranch Preserve to observe beautiful scenery. Scenic Aerobic hikes are offered at different preserves every second Wednesday. The route of each hike will be determined by the docents based on current trail and weather conditions.

[7] Beatty Homestead Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 9, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=760216

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Beatty Homestead, a closed area of in Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[8] Skyline Tree Farm Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, February 11, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=760217

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at the former Christmas tree farm in Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[9] Winter BioBlitz at Hellyer Park - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and Bioblitz.club
Sunday, February 12, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-bioblitz-at-hellyer-park-registration-476078502617

Located in the southern part of San Jose, Hellyer County Park is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals right along Coyote Creek. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz.club in cataloging and documenting all of the living things that reside there. We will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.

Since we visit this park quarterly, come out again if you've already visited and see the difference a few months can make in what you see. The best part? All you need to participate is a smart phone with the iNaturalist app! So bring your family and prepare for an in-depth tour of this great park. Community service hours available.

[10] Ulistac Natural Area - Santa Clara
Sunday, February 12, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
http://www.ulistac.org/volunteer

Extra Work Sessions Coming to Your Favorite Open Space!
Did your parents tell you not to play in the dirt or get your shoes muddy? Here's your chance to rebel! We are adding extra work sessions after great rain and now fine weather. Donated elderberries need to get into the ground... a simple and effective way to combat climate change. Only steady rain cancels. Wear sturdy shoes for digging, drinks and snacks will be provided. Community service hours welcome!

[11] Basic Botany of our Favorite California Wildflowers: Structures, Pollination, and Seed Dispersal - by CNPS
Monday, February 13, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/basic-botany-of-our-favorite-california-wildflowers-structures-pollination-and-seed-dispersal

Professor Andrew Gardner, Associate Professor of Biology and Stanislaus State and a member of our chapter, will prepare us for wildflower season by highlighting basic botany of our favorite spring flowering plants (and trees)! If you are not sure what the names and purposes are of each part of a beloved wildflower, and want to know more about how pollination occurs, this session is for you!
Register in advance for this meeting:
https://cnps-org.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcsfuyqqj0rHtDGQ3CSWokNl0oFVhRy0JSC
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.
回复全部
回复作者
转发