Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - November 21, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Nov 21, 2023, 11:28:07 PM11/21/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, November 24, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3274/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

Contact Friday leader Paul Heiple at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org.

New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

Sturdy gloves are recommended; you might also want to bring sunscreen, water, a hat, layered clothing and wear long sleeves/pants. Location varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, November 25, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297176915/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, November 25, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park, 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose, CA 95132

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We will be planting native plants in a mulched area of the park. A total of 600 "plugs" will be planted by the end of November.

Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Sunday, November 26, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park, 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose, CA 95132
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297198097/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We will be planting native plants to create a native garden.

Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Making a Sustainable Wreath Using Dried Native California Flowers, a talk by Jill Sowards
Tuesday, November 28, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Saratoga Library Community Room, 13650 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297291872/

THIS TALK IS IN-PERSON ONLY.

In this talk, Jill will demonstrate how to make a seasonal dried flower wreath using sustainable materials, with a focus on native California plants. She'll share techniques for drying flowers and creating the wreath, demonstrate how to start and finish your creation, and identify some useful garden flowers you can start in the ground now to enjoy next year. These dried arrangements are made to be enjoyed for years or can be composted in their entirety when the season is over.
Please note that Jill will demonstrate how to make a California native plant wreath; there will be no audience participation.

Speaker bio: Jill is a gardener and owner of Violetear Studio. She teaches classes and workshops on a range of gardening and design topics throughout the bay area and online. No matter the subject, her foundation is always on ecological gardening, waterwise practices, and how to incorporate native plants.

Directions to the Saratoga Library: From Highway 85 take the Saratoga Ave. exit (NOT Sunnyvale-Saratoga Road) and travel southwest towards the Village of Saratoga. Stay in the right lane of Saratoga Ave. About 1/2 mile from the highway exit, there will be a two-lane left turn for West Valley College at Fruitvale Ave. Proceed through this intersection in the right lane, and take the next left turn into the library parking lot. The Community Room is at the front right of the library building.

[6] Greeter needed for library talk
Tuesday, November 28, 6:30 PM - 8:45 PM
Location: Saratoga Library Community Room, 13650 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Jill Sowards will be talking at the Saratoga library on how to make wreaths using native plants. We need one more greeter for this event. Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.