Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - May 7, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

May 8, 2024, 1:32:49 AMMay 8
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, May 10, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3298/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday May 11, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S. White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300553213/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Plant ID Walk at Alum Rock Park
Sunday May 12, 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Alum Rock Park - 15350 Penitencia Creek Rd, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300449537/

On this beginner and family-friendly native plant walk, join California Naturalist Divya Shenoy, assisted by Arvind Kumar, to explore the creekside and shrubland habitats of Alum Rock County Park. We will walk along the beautiful Penitencia Creek Trail, Mineral Springs loop and other hillside trails. We will also stop by the Youth Science Institute Nature Center, which has live animals and an extraordinary taxidermy display!

We will see native plants such as the coast live oak, California bay laurel, toyon, buckeye and maidenhair ferns! We may see birds, such as Steller's jays and acorn woodpeckers, butterflies and small mammals. We will also see historical mineral spring structures and discuss the ways Ohlone Native Americans utilized native plants.

The walk will be about 3 miles in length. RSVP is required. No drop-ins, please.

[4] Propagating Native Plants at Home, a talk by Stanley Gu
Thursday May 16, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Los Altos Library Orchard Room - 13 S. San Antonio Rd, Los Altos
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300725579/

Note: This talk will be held in-person at the Los Altos Library and will not be available online.

Growing native plants from seeds and cuttings is a great way to bring biodiversity to your garden, while saving money and connecting more deeply with nature. Stanley will share a few methods used to propagate plants at the Grassroots Ecology nursery for their restoration projects, such as at Redwood Grove Nature Preserve. The talk will also cover ways to adapt these techniques for your home.

Growing up in the East Bay, Stanley developed an obsession with plants while observing the native and non-native flora of his neighborhood. He is now an Ecologist at Grassroots Ecology and has worked under the guidance of Nursery Director Deanna Giuliano for two years. His passions include growing native plants and sharing his love of botany with others.

Grassroots Ecology is a nonprofit organization dedicated to caring for public lands and waters across Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.

[5] Greeters needed for talk
Thursday, May 16, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Los Altos Library Orchard Room - 13 S. San Antonio Rd, Los Altos
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Stanley Gu from Grassroots Ecology will be speaking at the Los Altos library on "Propagating Native Plants at Home". We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided. Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[6] Nutmegs in California? - by Midpen
Friday May 10, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Long Ridge Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/nutmegs-california

While exploring the southern, less visited portion of this preserve with Docent Naturalists Frances Reneau and Nick Yatsko you'll hear all about Torreya californica, also known as the California nutmeg. Though this local tree species is not related to the holiday spice, it is interesting in its own right. Come find out about this sparsely distributed conifer without cones and hike a bit of the famous Skyline-to-the-Sea Trail on this leisurely-paced botanical adventure. Reservations are required and will be accepted on or after April 26 at 12:00 p.m. and close May 9 at 2:00 p.m.

[7] Secret Lives of Snakes
Friday May 10, 6:00 PM
Location: West Valley College, SM 36
https://www.westvalley.edu/events/secret-lives-of-snakes/

Join West Valley Biology Department for an evening of sssnakey stories with Dr. Emily Taylor as we celebrate her new book California Snakes and How To Find Them. Dr Taylor will discuss the diversity of California snakes and her research revealing their secret lives. Books will be available for sale. The event is free and there is free parking in parking lot 2. For more event details visit the link above. For questions, contact Leticia Gallardo: Leticia.gallardo @ westvalley.edu.

[8] Headwaters to the Bay - by Saved by Nature
Saturday May 11, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Valley Water Headquarters and Lake Almaden - 5700 Almaden Expressway San Jose
https://savedbynature.networkforgood.com/events/71184-visit-valley-water-headquarters-and-hike-around-lake-almaden

Join Saved by Nature for a hike at Valley Water Headquarters and Lake Almaden. We will learn about water usage and conservation techniques exemplified by Valley Water, such as bioswales and percolation ponds. (If those terms are new to you or make you curious, join us!) Afterwards we will take a walk around Lake Almaden and enjoy the sights of Almaden Park. It will be a fun event with the opportunity to learn how we can make a difference in our watersheds!

[9] Spring BioBlitz at Hellyer Park
Saturday May 11, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Hellyer Park - 996 Hellyer Ave Cottonwood Lake - Southwest trail entrance San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/spring-bioblitz-at-hellyer-park-registration-876460325427

Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful, Bioblitz Club, and Peninsula Open Space Trust for a BioBlitz!

A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. At a BioBlitz, scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to get an overall count of the plants, animals, fungi, and other organisms that live in a place.

Join the BioBlitz at Hellyer Park where you and experts come together to explore, document, and catalog all of the living things that reside there. Docents will guide you and teach you to use the iNaturalist app on your smartphone to record all the living things you encounter. Flowers, trees, butterflies, dragonflies, and beetles, birds, and squirrels. We love them all - now let's go find them!

[10] Womxn in the Weeds – Volunteer Workday at Pearson-Arastradero - by Peninsula Open Space Trust and Grassroots Ecology
Saturday May 11, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Pearson-Arastradero Preserve
https://openspacetrust.org/event/womxn-in-the-weeds-volunteer-workday-at-pearson-arastradero/

Calling all women and non-binary identifying community members! Join Peninsula Open Space Trust and Grassroots Ecology for an affinity group event to restore California habitat at Pearson-Arastradero Preserve. Our facilitators have years of experience building welcoming and inclusive spaces for community members. This space will be held for cisgender women, transgender women, and nonbinary people to gather and develop a sense of belonging in the outdoors.

Volunteers will remove weed species from restoration zones and sensitive habitat areas within Arastradero Preserve. Additionally, we may support the maintenance of planting areas by shoveling and moving mulch with wheelbarrows. This event will involve lifting, digging, carrying, bending, and walking on uneven terrain.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.