Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - May 28, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

May 28, 2024, 9:39:42 PMMay 28
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Native Plant ID - Tonight!
Tuesday May 28, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center (first floor), 3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299137116/

Native Plant ID (formerly Keying with Natives) is a Chapter group that works together to learn plant identification using botanical keys and other resources. Join us as we look at plant samples collected from local gardens and practice methods of identifying the native plants of our region. Bring in plant samples if you have some from property where you have permission to collect or just come and work with the materials provided. We use the current edition of The Jepson Manual as well as other plant guides, and we have copies to share. If you have them, bring your own favorite guide and a hand lens. Microscopes will also be available.

The group meets at 7:00pm on the fourth Tuesday of each month. For more information please contact Janet Hoffmann at janet @ cnps-scv.org.

Directions: From Hwy. 101 take the San Antonio Rd. exit and head north. Take the next left onto East Bayshore, which will curve left then right. Take the next right onto Corporation Way. The entrance to the PCC parking lot is the first driveway on the left. The conference rooms are on the first floor.

[2] Edgewood Restoration
Friday May 31, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3301/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday June 1, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S. White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300979240/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Community Work Day at the Native Plant Garden in Kirk Park
Saturday June 1, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Kirk Park Native Garden - Briarwood Drive & Wawona Drive, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300980641/

Volunteers meet at the garden on Saturdays from 9 AM to 11 AM, weather permitting, for weeding, watering and other maintenance activities. Occasionally there will be other tasks such as mulching and planting. Community volunteers, including families with children over 6, are always welcome! First-time volunteers will need to fill out a form from the City of San Jose available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often.

Directions: From Meridian Avenue, go east on Foxworthy Avenue. Turn left on Briarwood Drive and go about a block. The park is on your left. Park along Briarwood Drive. The garden is along the cement walkway that parallels the north edge of the park.

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[5] Habitat Restoration: Jointed Goatgrass Removal - by Midpen
Thursday May 30, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Los Trancos Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=924829

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday of removing invasive jointed goatgrass at Los Trancos Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and education about why we want to remove jointed goatgrass from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[6] Habitat Restoration: Thistle Removal - by Midpen
Friday June 1, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=924830

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive thistles at Cherry Springs Pond, a closed area of Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove thistles from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[7] Coyote Creek Habitat Day
Saturday June 1, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Coyote Creek Visitor Center at Anderson Lake County Park, 19245 Malaguerra Avenue, Morgan Hill
https://www.grassrootsecology.org/event-calendar/2024/6/1/volunteer-at-coyote-creek-42dx7-4p6gy-agglt-ga4zs-gnmdp-ncm6e-w77wt-bfhfk

Join us for a day of activities highlighting wildlife connected with Coyote Creek. Learn about the people and animals who have made their homes along this watershed both long ago and today.
  • Discover history and science through hands-on family activity stations
  • Connect with the Coyote Creek habitat by taking a guided walk or ride
  • Participate in a community science exploration along the creek
[8] BioBlitz at Alum Rock Park
Sunday June 2, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Alum Rock Park - 16260 Penitencia Creek Rd, Youth Science Institute/Mineral Springs Parking Lot, San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bioblitz-at-alum-rock-park-registration-899581641907

Located in the Eastern Foothills of San Jose, the park we will be at is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals right along Penitencia Creek that flows into Coyote Creek. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz Club in cataloging and documenting all of the living things that reside there. We will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.

The best part? All you need to participate is a smart phone with the iNaturalist app! So bring your family and prepare for an in-depth tour of this great park.

[9] Native Plant and Pollinator Day - by Santa Clara County Parks & Recreation
Saturday June 15, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Martial Cottle Park, San Jose
https://parks.sccgov.org/native-plant-and-pollinator-day

Celebrate National Pollinator Week by joining Martial Cottle Park at their 3rd Annual Native Plant and Pollinator Day event. Learn about the importance of pollinators and how native plants help them. CNPS will have a booth here to promote the message of the importance of native plants for pollinators. We would love your help! If you are interested in helping staff the booth, please email Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com

Native Plant and Pollinator Guided Walk:
There will be a 30-minute guided walk which will take place on paved paths (0.5 mile round trip). Families are encouraged to attend. Meet at the Martial Cottle Park Partner Lot at 9:00 AM or 10:00 AM to join. Space is limited on the guided walk. Registration is recommended for the walk. Sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/native-plant-and-pollinator-day-walk-tickets-890515284187

Besides the guided walk, you will be able to enjoy exhibitor booths, crafts and activities which will run from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

Admission is free. $6 parking fee.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.