Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - January 23, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Jan 23, 2024, 2:28:39 PMJan 23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Beautiful California Biodiversity, a talk by Lynne Trulio, Ph.D.
Thursday, January 25, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298514244/

We share the Earth with millions of other species. But our planet is experiencing a biodiversity crisis in which a significant portion of these species are in danger of extinction in the coming decades. This loss of species – which is caused by human activities – is a tragedy for the Earth's ecology and non-human inhabitants, but will also have significant impacts on human societies. In this talk, we will discuss the causes of the current biodiversity crisis, with a focus on California biodiversity. We will discuss which species are most endangered, what we can do to try to limit the loss of species, and efforts underway in our region to preserve our local biodiversity, especially endangered plants, invertebrates and animal species.

Dr. Lynne Trulio is a professor and former chair of the Department of Environmental Studies at San José State University. Her research investigates human impacts on species and habitats, especially public access impacts to wildlife and the ecology and preservation of the western burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia) in California.

[2] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, January 26, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3283/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, January 27, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298395726/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden". Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, January 27, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park, 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298397298/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Introduction to Native Plant ID
Tuesday, January 30, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center - 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298680708/

Some of you may recall our monthly Keying with Natives programs, which went on a long hiatus due to COVID. We are starting a similar program which will be known by the less intimidating name of Native Plant ID. The initial meeting will be in the Raptor suite at the back of the newly refreshed Peninsula Conservation Center (PCC).

At this meeting we will discuss various books and resources for identifying native plants. We will also show you the tools that we use for looking at native plants and explain why taking a closer look is important to figuring out what plant you are looking at. Finally, we will walk you through some basic botanical features that are important to know in order to identify native plants. Janet Hoffmann will lead the discussion. Please join us for this new program, to deepen your knowledge of our native flora. For more information, contact Janet at: janet @ cnps-scv.org.

[6] Greeters needed for library talks
Thursday, March 14, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

We need greeters for our ongoing library talks. Open slots can be viewed via the link above - please sign up if you are able to help.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] Morning Meander: Winter Habitats - by Midpen
Wednesday, January 24, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Windy Hill Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/morning-meander-winter-habitats

Explore the habitats of Lower Windy Hill with Docent Naturalists Marie-Anne Neimat, Emma Finter, and Kate Bauer. On this leisurely-paced, easy loop hike you'll follow the Betsy Crowder, Meadow, and Spring Ridge trails while observing the effects of winter on riparian, chaparral, and mixed evergreen forest habitats.

[8] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, January 25, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Coal Creek Preserve - Pinky's Picnic Spot
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=878240

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Pinky's Picnic Spot, a closed area of Coal Creek Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[9] Global Community Engagement Day Cleanup - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Sunday, January 28, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/global-community-engagement-day-cleanup-registration-770653223537

Help us beautify Coyote Creek and surrounding trails through a community cleanup. Meet new people; improve a neighborhood park; watch the overwintering birds; build community around a shared sense of service.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.