Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 28, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Feb 28, 2023, 10:20:47 PM2/28/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Request for Volunteers for Cali Night and the Aztec Dancers of Calpulli Tonalehqueh
Friday-Saturday, March 10-11
https://www.aztecadancers.com/mexica-new-year
https://www.facebook.com/events/453347210053065
Location: Emma Prusch Park, 647 S King Rd, San Jose

The Mexica New Year is going to be celebrated in Emma Prusch Park in San Jose from March 10-12. Our chapter will have a table at the event and we need volunteers to staff the event. Our table needs to be staffed at the following times:
  • Friday, March 10, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
  • Saturday, March 11, 12:00 Noon - 4:00 PM
Slots are two hours long. There will be at least two people per slot. This is a great opportunity to introduce people to our chapter, let them know about the benefits of native plants and encourage them to sign up to be CNPS members. Flyers, brochures and membership forms will be provided. Interested? Send an email to priya4cnps @ gmail.com with the day and time that you prefer.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, March 4, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcfbgb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] San Bruno Mountain State and County Park (Brisbane)
Saturday, March 4, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/291924899/

Join Ken and Dee Himes along the summit loop trail to see early flowering plants in the coastal scrub and coastal grassland plant communities. The hike will be about 4 miles in distance with an elevation change of about 800 feet. Dress warmly in layers as it can be very windy, and wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots. Hiking poles are recommended. Bring snacks and a sack lunch, and liquids for the day. Heavy rain cancels. For more information call Ken, 650–933–6319 or email Ken at kenrhimes @ gmail.com or email Dee at dee4cnps @ gmail.com.

Directions: From Hwy 101 northbound, take Old Bayshore/Brisbane exit and proceed north on Old Bayshore, past the town of Brisbane. Make a left turn onto Guadalupe Cyn Pkwy, and follow it uphill (west) about a mile and a half to the park entrance. We will meet at 10 AM inside the parking lot just beyond the entrance kiosk. There is a $6/day use parking fee. Bring exact change.

Link to map: https://goo.gl/maps/mxei2DG9ghM5Cqo58
Park Website: https://www.smcgov.org/parks/san-bruno-mountain-state-county-park

[4] Horticulture Scholarship applications are open
https://www.cnps-scv.org/education/scholarships/32-scholarships/390-horticulture-scholarship

The Horticulture Scholarship is open to any community college horticulture student who attends an accredited college in our Chapter area or lives in our Chapter area and attends an accredited college anywhere, is currently enrolled, and has taken (or is taking) a California native plant class as part of their horticulture program. The scholarship amount is $750 and will be awarded to one student annually. The scholarship is intended to help with scholastic expenses such as books and tuition.

Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023. For more details, and for instructions on how to apply, please click on the link above.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[5] Explorer Hike: Hill and Dale - by Midpen
Wednesday, March 1, 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/explorer-hike-hill-and-dale
Location: St. Joseph's Hill Preserve

Stretch your legs with Docent Naturalists Kate Bauer, Mary Brunkhorst, and Dennis Smith on this moderately-paced hike starting along the Los Gatos Creek Trail and continuing up the Flume and Jones trails. An approximate 800-foot elevation gain will bring you from a lower riparian habitat up to woodland and chaparral habitats. You'll have time to observe and learn about what influences both flora and fauna as you move from one habitat to another.

[6] Ways that we Impact Watersheds in our Garden Decisions
Thursday, March 2, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/ways-that-we-impact-watersheds-in-our-garden-decisions
Presented by: Lora Price, Design With Nature

The Environmental Learning Center presents a FREE Workshop Series for anyone interested in home gardening for wildlife and water quality. Learn how to garden with less water, manage too much stormwater, and generally provide a healthier habitat for birds, pollinating insects, and more.

The choices we make in taking care of our yards not only affects the long-term health and beauty of our gardens, but also the health of our water supply. Learn why this matters, and what we can do to be good environmental stewards through soil care practices, stormwater management, water conservation, non-chemical fertilizer alternatives and best practices for pest management.

[7] Wildflowers of the South Bay: A Virtual Exploration - by Open Space Authority
Friday, March 3, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wildflowers-of-the-south-bay-a-virtual-exploration-tickets-539983935487

Springtime is fast approaching which means wildflowers are going to start popping out of the ground any second! Join us for a virtual exploration of the wildflowers of the south bay to learn what’s to come this spring season and some of the best places to stop and smell the flowers.

[8] Oaks and Open Space: A Guided Hike in Rancho Cañada del Oro - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, March 4, 9:00 AM – 10:30 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oaks-and-open-space-a-guided-hike-in-rancho-canada-del-oro-tickets-541830037227

Take a hike with us through the oak trees of Rancho Cañada del Oro! Join us for a gentle journey at Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve where you will learn more about the oak savannah ecosystem and why conservation is so important. On this 2-mile hike we will enjoy the plants, animals and sweeping views of the preserve.

[9] Little Serpentine Meadow - by Midpen
Saturday, March 4, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/little-serpentine-meadow
Location: St. Joseph's Hill Preserve

What's so special about St. Joseph's Hill? It's one of the only Midpen preserves with serpentine bedrock, serpentine soil, and thus a serpentine meadow, which supports adapted native grasses and flowers. Docent Naturalists Frances Reneau and Helena Cohen will guide you on a leisurely-paced hike along the Jones, Manzanita, and Serpentine trails for a loop around the summit and to witness the serpentine meadow.

[10] Clouds Rest - Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, March 4, 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=773115
Location: Clouds Rest trail in Coal Creek Open Space Preserve

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom on the Clouds Rest trail in Coal Creek Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove French broom from our local landscape.

[11] I Can't Believe It's Litter! - By Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, March 4, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/i-cant-believe-its-litter-registration-496442662367

Spend a few hours and help us work together for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup. Come celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.