Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - March 28, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Mar 28, 2023, 9:35:40 PM3/28/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Red Hills Field Trip - Tuolumne County
Thursday, March 30, 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM

Red Hills is a foothill sierran serpentine region in Tuolumne County. About a two hour drive from the bay area. We will walk two sections observing what we hope will be an early peak blooming, at the shoulder season between winter and spring. Rare serpentine endemic Eriogonum tripodum, Chlorogalum grandiflorum and Allium tuolumnense are present. Hopefully, bitteroot will be in bloom. Join Janet Hoffmann (janet @ hoffmann.net) and Joe Cernac (joecernac @ sbcglobal.net) as we observe, heads bowed to the ground, this flora-rich area. We will meet at the main parking lot at 9:30 AM. There is a bathroom at the parking lot. Email the leaders for directions and any other questions. https://www.blm.gov/visit/red-hills-recreation-management-area

This trip is for CNPS members only (please ensure your membership is up-to-date or join). Space is limited. No drop-ins. To reserve your spot and for additional trip information, please contact the trip leaders.

[2] Growing Natives Garden Tour
Saturday and Sunday, April 1 and 2, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
http://www.gngt.org

This posting is for information only. Registration is required at http://www.gngt.org.

Are you interested in gardens that are waterwise, low maintenance and attractive to humans as well as birds and butterflies? Learn more at the CNPS Santa Clara Valley Chapter's annual Growing Natives Garden Tour on Sat-Sun, April 1-2, from 10 AM to 4 PM. This is a free, self-guided tour of home gardens landscaped with California native plants. Gardens in San Jose, Santa Clara, Cupertino, Campbell, Los Gatos, and Gilroy/Morgan Hill are open on Saturday. Gardens in Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Los Altos, and San Mateo are open on Sunday. The tour offers a variety of gardens for viewing - from townhomes to 1-acre lots, from newly planted gardens to established ones. You won't have to go far to see one: the gardens are located throughout the Santa Clara Valley and the Peninsula.

Visit as many gardens as you like - for inspiration, ideas, and pictures. What's special about California native plants? They are adapted to our soil and climate and are easy to care for. Many of our native plants are naturally waterwise and drought tolerant. They support a wide variety of wildlife that has co-evolved with them, and their distinctive look and elegant beauty gives your garden a sense of place that is uniquely Californian.

If you can't attend in person on tour days, you can visit online anytime at gngt.org, which has a page for each garden including descriptions, photos, videos and plant lists.

The self-guided tour is open to all. Admission is free but donations to support the Tour can be made at any garden. Registration is required at http://www.gngt.orghttp://www.gngt.org. For more information, visit http://www.gngt.org or email info @ gngt.org.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[3] Land Stewards: Periwinkle Pull at Fisher's Creek - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, April 1, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/land-stewards-periwinkle-pull-at-fishers-creek-tickets-590463039847

Roll up your sleeves and help us heal nature for Earth month! Last year, we found an invasive species of periwinkle growing along Fisher Creek, just upstream from the Fisher's Bend Restoration site in Coyote Valley. Common periwinkle (Vinca minor) has a high potential for invasion since it can break off, wash downstream, and take over new areas along the watershed. The best way of removing this invasive plant is hand-pulling - and we'd love your help in removing this invasive plant from Fisher Creek.

[4] Wonders of Cherry Springs - by Midpen
Saturday, April 1, 9:15 AM - 1:15 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/wonders-cherry-springs-3
Location: Sierra Azul Preserve

Join Docent Naturalists Greg Azevedo, Emma Finter, Dan Antonaccio, and Annie Guo for leisurely-paced hike at a limited access area of this preserve that will traverse mixed evergreen forest and grassland and includes a 500-foot elevation gain uphill segment. You'll discuss local history and learn about the pond environment and flora of the area while enjoying views of Santa Clara Valley.

[5] Coyote Creek Habitat Day - by Santa Clara County Parks
Saturday, April 1, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
https://parks.sccgov.org/events/coyote-creek-habitat-day
Location: Coyote Creek Visitor Center at Anderson Lake County Park, Morgan Hill

Join us for Coyote Creek Habitat Day on Saturday, April 1st from 10 AM to 2 PM for a free family day of activities and to view wildlife connected with Coyote Creek. Discover the people and animals who have made their homes along Coyote Creek as well as how we can protect it in today's changing environment. The day will include an opportunity to meet wild animals from the Wildlife Education & Rehabilitation Center (WERC), and participants can become wildlife detectives through hands-on activities like dissecting owl pellets and more.

[6] Ohlone Footsteps - by Midpen
Sunday, April 2, 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/ohlone-footsteps
Location: Skyline Ridge Preserve

Prior to European settlement, the Bay Area was home to a mosaic of Native American tribal communities. Many of these people lived in the the Santa Cruz Mountains. Join Docent Naturalists Kim Borick and Sarah Schoen for a leisurely-paced hike with frequent stops along the Ipiwa and Sunny Jim trails. Historical and cultural background will be provided along with examples of indigenous material used by California Native people and their practices in managing the resources of the local landscape. You'll walk where they walked and discover what drew the Ohlone people time and again to these mountains.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.