Special Upcoming Chapter Field Trips

CNPS-SCV News

Mar 23, 2022, 1:24:59 AM3/23/22
to CNPS-SCV News
We have openings for some of our special upcoming field trips. All of the trips listed below are for CNPS members only.

To join us on these trips, please ensure your membership is up to date: https://www.cnps.org/membership.

For all of our field trips, please visit our website: https://cnps-scv.org/activities/field-trips

And our Meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/

Hite Cove Trail and Mariposa Overnight Field Trip (Mariposa County)
Monday, April 4 - Wednesday, April 6

Radhika Thekkath, our new Chapter president, invites you to join her for three days at her family’s vacation log house and cabin in Mariposa to explore wildflowers on the 15-acre private property. The property is near a 3,000-acre protected preserve as a conservation easement managed by the Sierra Foothill Conservancy. We will also take a moderate hike of 6.5-miles round trip on the longer Hite Cove trail. It has been four years since the Ferguson fire came through here. Botanical leaders will include Ken Himes, Joe Cernac and Doug Krajnovich, Past-President of the Sierra Foothills Chapter of CNPS. Space is limited. To reserve your spot and for additional trip information, please contact Radhika directly at rad...@cnps-scv.org. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the trip date.

McLaughlin Natural Reserve (Napa and Lake Counties)
April 27, Wednesday, 9 am - 4 pm

Join Reserve staff for a tour of the Donald and Sylvia McLaughlin Natural Reserve, a unit in the UC Natural Reserve System located near Lower Lake in Napa and Lake Counties. The reserve protects about 7,000 acres of unusual habitats, including serpentine soils as well as riparian woodland, blue oak woodland and savannah, grassland, and chaparral. Late April is prime wildflower season and there should be a variety of flowers to see and enjoy. The iNaturalist list for the reserve includes 468 plant taxa. We will explore different areas of the reserve on foot and by vehicle. The visit will be led by reserve staff and will last most of the day. The group will need to arrive punctually and leave all at the same time. The McLaughlin Reserve is managed by UC Davis and is not generally open to the public. It is located about a 3-hour drive from our CNPS SCV Chapter office in Palo Alto. Space is limited. Restricted access, no drop-ins please. To register and for more information please contact trip organizer Sue Kelso directly at skels...@gmail.com. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the trip date.

Blue Oak Ranch Reserve (Mt. Hamilton)
Apr 29 - May 1, Friday-Sunday

Join us at Blue Oak Ranch Reserve where we will explore the SCU Lightning Complex burn area and look for rare plants. Blue Oak Ranch Reserve sprawls across the steep slopes of Mount Hamilton just east of urban San Jose. Plant communities include blue oak woodland, valley oak woodland, black oak woodland, coast live oak woodland, riparian forest, chamise chaparral, Diablan sage scrub, nonnative annual grassland, wildflower field and native perennial grassland. Blue and valley oak woodlands have become quite rare in California, and few are as protected from overgrazing and the encroachment of suburban development as those at Blue Oak Ranch. We will explore the burn area and look for rare plants such as Santa Clara red ribbons, serpentine leptosiphon, and the fire follower Brewer’s calandrinia. We will also make natural history observations in iNaturalist for the 2022 City Nature Challenge, so we’ll be on the hunt for insects, reptiles, and other cool creatures as well. Space is limited. No drop-ins please. RSVP is required to join us for the trip. To register, please visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/blue-oak-ranch-reserve-rare-plant-treasure-hunt-tickets-265650105617 to get your ticket. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the trip date.

Eastern Sierra Nevada, Owens Valley (Inyo County)
May 13 - 16, Friday - Monday

Join Joe Cernac and Ken Himes on our away trip to the east side of the Sierra Nevada and Owens Valley Desert. We hope to catch the wild flowers as we go up to higher elevations. Owens Valley starts at 3,000 feet in elevation so the spring starts late here. We will be car-camping throughout the trip, but local lodging can be found as well. Space is limited. No drop-ins please. For further trip information and email registration contact Joe Cernac at joec...@sbcglobal.net. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the time.