Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - January 3, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Jan 3, 2023, 3:23:05 PM1/3/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Programs Meeting
Wednesday, January 4, 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0kcOuhqj8oGd31gCVt07W8pYKt2bKJMKjL

After several years of virtual-only lectures, we expect to offer hybrid and virtual lectures in 2023. Libraries are also reaching out to us to provide speakers for their programs. This is a meeting to discuss what we can take on and how to divide responsibility - as well as coming up with a list of speakers. If you have any ideas for speakers or would like to help with organization, please join us. If you have any questions please send email to Vivian Neou at techchair @ cnps-scv.org.

Register in advance for this meeting (Registration is required for receiving the Zoom link to the meeting):
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0kcOuhqj8oGd31gCVt07W8pYKt2bKJMKjL

[2] Field Trip Planning Meeting
Thursday, January 5, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/289318322/

Join us to help schedule the remainder of our spring and summer field trips, plus any field trips we may want to have for the rest of the year. With more knowledge of the winter weather patterns, we may also make plans for away trips.
All are welcome to join in the discussion. Register on Meetup. Registration is required to join the Zoom meeting. The Zoom link will be sent a day or two before the meeting.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, January 7, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfccbkb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[4] Hiking 101 – A Virtual How to! - by Open Space Authority
Friday, January 6, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiking-101-a-virtual-how-to-tickets-489072528097

Nature is for everyone! Start the year off by getting outside. Every January thousands of new hikers from all over the Bay Area hit the trails for the first time. Join us for a crash course about staying safe on the trail, what to pack, and how to make the most of your time in the great outdoors.

[5] Community Planting with Our City Forest and Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, January 7, 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Lundy Avenue & Vinci Park Way - 1278 Lundy AvenueSan Jose, CA 95131
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-planting-with-ocf-and-keep-coyote-creek-beautiful-at-lundy-avenue-tickets-469513185577

Help plant trees in San Jose and surrounding areas; learn how to properly plant a tree to ensure the best chance for a healthy life. This planting will take place at Lundy Avenue Backup. We will meet at the corner of Lundy Avenue & Vinci Park Way and recommend parking on the street near the intersection of Autumnsong Way & Septembersong Ct. Please see the above EventBrite link for detailed instructions.

[6] Water, Wildlife and Connectivity at Spreckles Hill - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, January 7, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Location - To be announced
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/water-wildlife-and-connectivity-at-spreckles-hill-tickets-483375548277

Join the Open Space Authority to explore and learn all about water, wildlife and connectivity in Coyote Valley! We will climb to the top of this Spreckles Hill to take in the view of the Valley of Heart’s Delight, eat a snack, and do some reflection on the significance of this special open space. Heavy rain will cancel this walk. There is some rough terrain, so please plan to wear layers and sturdy shoes.

[7] Ulistac Natural Area - Santa Clara
Saturday, January 7, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM

http://www.ulistac.org/volunteer

Join volunteers as they remove invasive plants and plant California native trees, shrubs, grasses and wildflowers.
Contact Ulistac at: ulistac @ gmail.com.

[8] Inspirational Outings: Public Lands of California’s Central Valley - CNPS
Monday, January 9, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/inspirational-outings-public-lands-of-californias-central-valley

As we begin 2023, join us for an engaging virtual talk and tour of wonderful Central Valley destinations and the stewards and naturalists among them! These are places where endemic species may be observed, including unique ecosystems filled with some of California’s iconic and well-known native flora and fauna, including some under careful watch.
Our speaker is Dr. Jeanne Knapp who wears many hats here in the valley.

[9] Lichen Hike at Coyote Valley - by Open Space Authority
Tuesday, January 10, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lichen-hike-at-coyote-valley-tickets-477510224937

Join the Open Space Authority for a moderate 4-mile hike on the Arrowhead Loop as we examine the beautiful lichen species that thrive there. In addition to showing hikers how to recognize some of the most common lichens, we will also learn about lichen ecology and how lichens fit into and benefit the ecosystem. This hike is perfect for people who don't know a lot about lichens but are interested in becoming a lichen enthusiast!
Please pack a lunch, water and wear comfortable hiking shoes.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.