Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 26, 2022

CNPS-SCV News

Apr 26, 2022, 11:58:23 PM4/26/22
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] McLaughlin Natural Reserve (Napa and Lake Counties)
Wednesday, April 27 9:00 AM to 4:15 PM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/285439286/

Join Reserve staff for a tour of the Donald and Sylvia McLaughlin Natural Reserve, a unit in the UC Natural Reserve System located near Lower Lake in Napa and Lake Counties. The reserve protects about 7,000 acres of unusual habitats, including serpentine soils as well as riparian woodland, blue oak woodland and savannah, grassland, and chaparral. Late April is prime wildflower season and there should be a variety of flowers to see and enjoy. The iNaturalist list for the reserve includes 468 plant taxa. We will explore different areas of the reserve on foot and by vehicle. The visit will be led by reserve staff and will last most of the day. The group will need to arrive punctually and leave all at the same time.

The McLaughlin Reserve is managed by UC Davis and is not generally open to the public. It is located about a 3-hour drive from our CNPS SCV Chapter office in Palo Alto. Space is limited. Restricted access, no drop-ins please.

DO NOT SIGN UP IN MEETUP. To register and for more information please contact trip organizer Sue Kelso directly at skelso.sk8r @ gmail.com.
NO DROP INS. Space is limited. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the trip date.

[2] Photo Group Meeting
Friday, April 29 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/284241248/

The CNPS SCV Photo Group meets via zoom on 4th Fridays, 7-8:50pm. In this supportive peer group, beginners and experts are equally welcome. Folks who just want to see pictures and hear photo tips are welcome too.

Register at the link below for the next meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-iqqzMpGNzp2osMkgoP48j7WucbIPnS

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with a zoom link for the meeting.

If you have pictures to share, sign up for a slot. Share your pictures, techniques, and ideas from your desktop via zoom. Slots are 20 minutes each; plan your photos and discussions accordingly. Presenters receive a 1-minute-remaining alert. Signup for a slot at the link below:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-cnps18

To participate in other Photography Group activities, join the email list:
http://www.cnps-scv.org/index.php/activities/photography-group

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, April 30, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/284667191/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose.

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 10-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/2020-volunteer-status-and-waiver-of-liability.pdf

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Blue Oak Ranch Reserve  (Mt. Hamilton) Rare Plant hunt
Friday - Monday Apr 29 - May 1

Join us at Blue Oak Ranch Reserve where we will explore the SCU Lightning Complex burn area and look for rare plants.  Blue Oak Ranch Reserve sprawls across the steep slopes of Mount Hamilton just east of urban San Jose.

Plant communities include blue oak woodland, valley oak woodland, black oak woodland, coast live oak woodland, riparian forest, chamise chaparral, Diablan sage scrub, nonnative annual grassland, wildflower field and native perennial grassland.  Blue and valley oak woodlands have become quite rare in California, and few are as protected from overgrazing and the encroachment of suburban development as those at Blue Oak Ranch.

We will explore the burn area and look for rare plants such as Santa Clara red ribbons, serpentine leptosiphon, and the fire follower Brewer's calandrinia.  We will also make natural history observations in iNaturalist for the 2022 City Nature Challenge, so we’ll be on the hunt for insects, reptiles, and other cool creatures as well.

This trip is for CNPS members only (please ensure your membership is up to date or join). Space is limited. No drop-ins please. RSVP is required to join us for the trip. To register, please visit Eventbrite to get your ticket. Detailed trip information will be emailed to registered participants closer to the trip date.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[5] Senior Citizens Backyard Transformations
Saturday April 30 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/senior-citizens-backyard-transformations/2022-04-30

Yerba Buena Chapter in San Francisco will be working with the non-profit, Rebuilding Together, to transform the backyards of nine senior citizens with beautiful native plants. Contact the chapter to join a landscaping team at yerba.buena.cnps.chapter @ gmail.com.

[6] Botany Road Trip
Saturday April 30 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/botany-road-trip/2022-04-30

A 3-part Webinar Series with Matt Berger
6-8pm PT
Saturday, April 30
Saturday, May 7
& Sunday, May 15, 2022

Join Plant Explorer and Botanical Storyteller Matt Berger (@sheriff_woody_pct) for a 3-part virtual Botany Road Trip of his epic year looking for unusual plants in unusual places across the U.S. His tour begins Saturday, April 30 6-8pm with diverse botanical finds from all three of California’s deserts: the Mojave, Sonoran, and western edge of the Great Basin. Matt is a rare combination of exceptionally skilled botanist, adventure seeker, and captivating storyteller that keeps audiences enjoying his virtual presentations from the edges of their very real seats.
$35, Pre-registration is required at https://backcountrypress.com/product/botany-road-trip/
10% of funds raised are being donated to the California Native Plant Society.
All sessions will be recorded in case you miss the live presentation or would like to watch again.

Optional Field Trip Opportunity: May 28 in southern California – Register Separately

Limited scholarships are available for BIPOC, students, and/or those experiencing economic hardship. Email allison @ backcountrypress.com for details.

[7] Bringing Back the Natives Garden Tour (online)
Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
https://www.bringingbackthenatives.net/view-gardens

This is an annual, free tour of native plant gardens in the East Bay. Visit the gardens below in-person on the 2022 tour:
- Bayside gardens will be open Saturday, April 30
- Inland gardens will be open Sunday, May 1

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on Facebook, Meetup, Instagram, and Twitter.