Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - January 30, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Jan 30, 2024, 9:01:53 PMJan 30
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Introduction to Native Plant ID
Tuesday, January 30, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Tonight!
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center - 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298680708/

Some of you may recall our monthly Keying with Natives program, which went on a long hiatus due to COVID. We are starting a similar program which will be known by the less intimidating name of Native Plant ID. The initial meeting will be in the Raptor suite at the back of the newly refreshed Peninsula Conservation Center (PCC).

At this meeting we will discuss various books and resources for identifying native plants. We will also show you the tools that we use for looking at native plants and explain why taking a closer look is important to figuring out what plant you are looking at. Finally, we will walk you through some basic botanical features that are important to know in order to identify native plants. Janet Hoffmann will lead the discussion. Please join us for this new program, to deepen your knowledge of our native flora. For more information, contact Janet at: janet @ cnps-scv.org.

[2] Field Trip Training Meeting - Part I
Thursday, February 1, 7:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Location: Hybrid: Zoom & In-person at the Peninsula Conservation Center - 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3339/-/field-trip-training-meeting-part-i-hybrid-zoom-in-person-at-the-pcc

For all aspiring, current and past trip leaders, we will be holding a two-part training program. The first part will take place in the classroom and the second part will take place in the field. We encourage everyone who is interested in being a leader or co-leader as well as those with leading expertise to join us. We'll cover topics such as the rewards of leading, how to plan and lead trips, safety, trail skills and more. You do not need deep plant knowledge to lead a field trip. Leaders with all levels of plant experience are encouraged. One does not need to be a botanist or a plant expert to lead. Co-leaders, sweeps and folks interested in organizing and assisting with trips are all welcome. There is a demand for beginning hikes, so if you have a favorite hike that you would like to share, please join us!

This meeting will be a hybrid format. Participants are welcome to attend in person or via Zoom. For those attending in person, we will meet in the Raptor suite at the Peninsula Conservation Center (PCC), 3921 E Bayshore Road in Palo Alto

To attend by Zoom, please register at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAqfu6upzMrE9BwboFF0OtZH0LNapyoRVG7.#/registration. All CNPS members are welcome to attend. If you plan to attend in person, please RSVP to Nabeel Al-Shamma via email at: nabeel4cnps @ gmail.com.

[3] Field Trip Training Meeting - Part II
Saturday, February 3, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve - 10 Old Stage Coach Road, Redwood City
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3345/-/field-trip-training-meeting-part-ii-edgewood-park

This is part two of the training program. We will meet in person at Edgewood Park to put our learnings into practice, to reinforce and expand on the topics covered in part one and to share our experiences. We will meet at Edgewood Park & Natural Preserve at 10:00 am. Please bring water, snacks, lunch and appropriate clothing. All CNPS members are welcome to attend. Please RSVP to Nabeel Al-Shamma via email at nabeel4cnps @ gmail.com.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, February 3, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298545731/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, February 3, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park, 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298547326/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[6] Insect & Plant Identification Walk
Sunday, February 4, 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Woods Trail, Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298019865/

Plants and insects are at the very bottom of the food chain – all higher forms of life depend on them for survival. An intact native plant habitat supports a diverse insect population, which in turn feeds amphibians, reptiles, birds, small mammals and other animals. Learn to identify the common native plants and insects of our area with California naturalists Karan Gathani and Arvind Kumar on a guided walk through Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve, the largest and southernmost preserve in the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.

We will hike the Woods Trail with spectacular views of Mt Hamilton and the valley floor. Expect to see coast live oak, madrone, California bay, bigleaf maple, buckeye, bigberry manzanita, toyon, coffeeberry, cream bush, chamise, mountain mahogany, and sticky monkeyflower. We may encounter butterflies, bees, beetles, grasshoppers, flies, spiders and ants.

The elevation gain is 600 ft; the distance covered is 5.4 miles round trip. All interested in plant and insect identification are welcome; prior knowledge of botany or entomology is helpful but not required. Wear good walking/hiking shoes. Bring a sack lunch and plenty of fluids. Drinking water is not available in the preserve. We also suggest bringing a hat, sunscreen; and optionally, a hand lens and smartphone camera. We expect to return to the parking lot by 2:00 PM.

RSVP is required to join us for the hike. Space is limited. No drop-ins please. We'll meet at the Woods Trail trailhead, which is at the Sierra Azul Parking Lot at Jacques Ridge.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] Habitat Restoration: Coyote Brush Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 1, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Rogue Valley - Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=881798

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive coyote brush in Rogue Valley at the Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[8] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 1, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Monte Bello Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=883460

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French Broom at Monte Bello Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape.

[9] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, February 3, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Teague Hill Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=883462

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Teague Hill Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we are removing French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[10] Wonders of Cherry Springs - by Midpen
Saturday, February 3, 9:25 AM - 1:10 PM
Location: Sierra Azul Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/wonders-cherry-springs-7

Join Docent Naturalists Greg Azevedo, Emma Finter, and Naureen Moon for a leisurely-paced hike at a limited access area that will traverse mixed evergreen forest and grassland and includes a 500-foot elevation gain segment. You'll discuss local history, learn about the pond environment and flora of the area, and enjoy views of Santa Clara Valley. Reservations are required and will close February 2 at 2:00 PM.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.