Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 2, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Apr 2, 2024, 9:26:13 PMApr 2
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Native Plant Talks
Tuesday, April 2 - Thursday, April 4, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: San Mateo County libraries
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events

We are organizing a special series of talks at libraries throughout San Mateo county in April. Whether you're curious about native plants, an experienced or aspiring native plant gardener, a professional botanist or beginning naturalist, you will find something to interest and educate you in our offerings.

Here is the full list of libraries where these talks will be held: Half Moon Bay Library and Portola Valley Library. For the full schedule, please visit the Meetup link above.

[2] Greeters needed for Native Plant Talks
Tuesday, April 2 - Tuesday, April 16, 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: Various locations in San Mateo county and Santa Clara county
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

We need greeters for our ongoing talks being held at various libraries in San Mateo county and Santa Clara county. Open slots can be viewed via the link above - please sign up if you are able to help.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

[3] Ten Easy Steps to Creating a Bird Friendly Garden, a talk by Jennifer Dirking
Tuesday, April 2, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM - tonight!
Location: Half Moon Bay Library
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299608266/

There are few things more rewarding than drawing birds to your garden and providing all the elements they need to survive and raise their young. For many gardeners, just a few simple changes can make all the difference. In this talk, we'll take a look at gardening from a bird's perspective and then delve into the ten elements that can transform your garden into a bird paradise. Attendees will receive a free packet of California native wildflowers that benefit birds that they can try out in their own gardens.

Jennifer Dirking has been an organic gardener for over 40 years, but only recently transformed her garden from a food desert to a habitat oasis in her suburban San Carlos neighborhood. Inspired by Doug Tallamy's book Nature's Best Hope, she has reached beyond her garden fence to develop partnerships and inspire hundreds of others throughout the Bay Area to begin their own native gardening journey.

[4] California Native Gardening Month by Month, a talk by Helen Popper
Thursday, April 4, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: Portola Valley Library
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299608606/

Note: This talk will be held at the Portola Valley Library and will not be available online.

California native gardening follows its own seasonal rhythm, which starts in the fall with the arrival of the rainy season. By learning to capitalize on this free irrigation and understanding the times when various native plants bloom, fruit and go to seed, savvy gardeners can boost biodiversity, save water, and enjoy a lush native garden year round. Attendees will receive a free packet of California native wildflowers with a long bloom season to try out in their own gardens.

Helen Popper is the author of California Native Gardening, A Month-by-Month Guide. Combining delightful prose and beautiful photography, she has collected the insights of dedicated professional and amateur native gardeners into this treasured guide for native gardeners throughout the state.

[5] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, April 5, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3293/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[6] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, April 6, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S. White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299849776/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[7] Growing Natives Garden Tour - by CNPS SCV Chapter and UCCE Master Gardeners of Santa Clara County
Saturday, April 13, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (north)
Sunday,   April 14, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (south)
https://gngt.org/

Growing Natives Garden Tour (GNGT) is a free, self-guided tour of gardens located throughout Santa Clara county and part of San Mateo county featuring a large majority of California native plants that are beautiful, water-wise, low maintenance, with minimal or no chemical use, and habitat havens for birds, butterflies and pollinators. California's native plant gardens increase wildlife corridors in fragmented habitats, preserve our natural ecosystem, and promote biodiversity in our built environments.

The tour is free, but registration is required. Sign up at the link above.

[8] The Beauty and Complexity of Evolution: Manzanitas as the Example, a talk by Tom Parker
Tuesday, April 16, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Los Altos Library Orchard Room, 13 S San Antonio Rd, Los Altos
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299615641/

Note: This talk will be held at the Los Altos Library and will not be available online.

Manzanitas (Arctostaphylos, Ericaceae family) have proliferated in California's Mediterranean climate in multiple ways. Tom will introduce you to the diversity of this group, and then focus on two stories. The first story is where manzanitas come from, so we will examine the history of a small subfamily, the Arbutoideae, of the blueberry/rhododendron/heath family (Ericaceae). Most of the genera in this subfamily occur in California, but only two are in northern California. This history leads into the second story, how manzanitas have captured mutualists, rodents such as chipmunks and chaparral mice, that bury fruits that help them survive our fires.

Tom Parker, Professor of Biology Emeritus, taught at San Francisco State University for 40 years before retiring from teaching. He was educated at the University of Texas (B.A.) and the University of California, Santa Barbara (M.A., Ph.D.). He is principally an evolutionary ecologist who works mainly in tidal wetlands and chaparral.

Greeters are needed for this talk, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

[9] Newsletter Mailing Party
Tuesday, April 23, 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center (first floor), 3921 E. Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F49A9A729AAFD0-46821178-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the May-June newsletter. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. No prior experience is necessary. Snacks, drinks and tales of our CNPS adventures will be provided. So, join us for a few hours of doing some easy tasks while enjoying the camaraderie of fellow CNPS folks.

We need volunteers for the first shift (10 am - 12 pm) as well as the second shift (12 pm - 2 pm). Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

[10] Field Trip to Pinnacles National Park
Wednesday, April 10, 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/activities/field-trips

Pinnacles National Park protects beautiful rock formations, cliffs and canyons, and hosts a profusion of wildflowers. Join Nabeel Al-Shamma and Vicki Silvas-Young. We hope to see black sage, goldenstar, paintbrush, golden yarrow, dudleya, fringed onion, cobwebby thistle and maybe even bitterroot.

We'll head out from the Bear Gulch Parking Area and go up the High Peaks Trail. We'll take our time going up the steep part. At the top we'll have lunch and enjoy the views. Afterwards we'll return back to the start. This is a long and strenuous day. The hike will be 4 miles but with 1500 ft of elevation change. Plus, it can take a good two hours or more to drive there.

Wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots. Hiking poles are recommended. Bring snacks, a sack lunch, and liquids for the day. Dress in layers. Consider binoculars for condor sightings. Heavy rain cancels. There may be an optional non-CNPS hike afterwards that will be focused on adding a few miles vs observing.

Directions: Meet at the Bear Gulch Parking Area on the east side of the Park. If the lot is full, we'll park at the Peaks View Parking Area. Note that phones will not work at the trailhead. Please carpool, parking is tight.

National Park Entrance Fee: $30/car (or bring your pass if you have one).

CNPS Members only. RSVP is required. To RSVP or for more information contact Nabeel Al-Shamma at nabeel4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[11] Naturehood Webinar: Introducing the New Calscape
Thursday, April 4, 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/naturehood-webinar-introducing-the-new-calscape

Get a tour of the new Calscape with the CNPS Horticulture team. Calscape Product Manager Jessica Woodard and Horticulture Senior Program Coordinator Maya Argaman will share the exciting new features and updates created to guide you through every stage of the native plant gardening process. Don't miss out!

[12] Redwoods and Wildflowers - by Saved by Nature and Midpen
Saturday, April 6, 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Long Ridge Open Space Preserve
https://savedbynature.networkforgood.com/events/69954-community-nature-hike-skyline-ridge

Join us at Long Ridge Open Space Preserve for our first event in our Community Nature Hike series! Our hike will take us through the redwoods, past an old apple orchard, and by Two Moon Lake, one of the few lakes in the Santa Cruz Mountains. We will be observing the wildflowers in bloom, appreciating the unique habitat of the redwoods, and spotting wildlife along the way. Join us for a beautiful hike as we watch the environment awaken with spring!

[13] The Power of Native Plants: A Conversation with Landscape Architect Juanita Salisbury
Monday, April 8, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/the-power-of-native-plants

Join us to learn about creating and maintaining a community garden with native plants!

Our speaker Juanita Salisbury has successfully created five public native plant gardens in the City of Palo Alto, thus bringing the power of native plants to the residents in easily accessible locations. These gardens are maintained by the community. Services such as water are provided by the city.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.