Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - August 3, 2021

1 view

CNPS-SCV News

Aug 3, 2021, 11:04:44 PM8/3/21
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear CNPS Santa Clara Valley members,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Container Gardening with Native Plants, a talk by Pete Veilleux
Wednesday, August 4, 7:30 PM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/279854363

Dress up the smallest of spaces using native plants in containers. Containers allow you to provide exactly the right soil, sun, and drainage conditions for those picky natives that you’ve always wanted to grow. See how creative you can be recycling pots and combining different textures and color for an ever-changing garden display.

Pete Veilleux is a master designer, nurseryman, and photographer. He creates gardens using native plants for long-lasting landscapes that help people get the maximum use and pleasure from their patch of earth. He is the owner and propagator of East Bay Wilds Native Plant Nursery (eastbaywilds.com) in Oakland, and a tireless advocate of native gardening.

This talk will be live streamed on Zoom (https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpcOGuqzooHdX3mn39a0j4NVa6S_cT_zOK - requires advance registration) and YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/CNPSSantaClaraValley).

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, August 7, 8:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/xlvtksycclbkb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose.

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering, social distancing, no tool sharing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding mattock (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 10-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/2020-volunteer-status-and-waiver-of-liability.pdf

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know.

On May 18, 2021, the Santa Clara County Public Health issued a new Public Health Order effective May 19, 2021. Section 9c of the Public Health Order requires all business and governmental entities such as the City of San Jose to ascertain the vaccination status of all personnel including its volunteers by June 1, 2021.

The City has created a link where you can provide your vaccination status. Please click the link to complete the survey.
http://csjmap.org/VaccStatus

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[3] Native Gardening: Plant Selection 101
August 5, 5:30 PM
https://cnps-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_m6Me1XGHT8esMzUj0ktFuA

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to in...@cnps-scv.org.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on Facebook, Meetup, Instagram, and Twitter.