Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - May 30, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

May 30, 2023, 11:32:54 PM5/30/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, June 3, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcjbfb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions on the Meetup event page to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[2] Field Trip Planning Meeting (Zoom)
Monday, June 5, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/293699938/

Join us to schedule the next several months field trips plus any field trips we may want to have for the rest of the year.
All are welcome to join in the discussion. Registration is required to join the Zoom meeting.

[3] The Power of Native Plants, a talk by Juanita Salisbury
Wednesday, June 14, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/293728880/
Location:  Los Altos Library Orchard Room, 13 S San Antonio Rd, Los Altos

THIS TALK IS IN-PERSON. IT WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ONLINE.

Let's discuss how planting locally appropriate native plants can save water and provide abundant biological resources for the environment. We'll cover key design elements and best practices for maximizing environmental resiliency. Most importantly, we'll cover just how simple, accessible and fun it is to set nature in motion.

Juanita Salisbury is a landscape architect. She addresses all aspects of the landscape design: from grading and drainage issues, coordinating with engineers and architects, lighting design, and designing custom elements. Additionally, her native plant expertise allows her to design ecologically friendly, drought-tolerant plantings. Her native plant palettes create beautiful, productive and abundant habitats that enhance biodiversity.

[4] Greeters and helpers needed for the talk at Los Altos Library
Wednesday, June 14, 6:30 PM - 8:45 PM
Location: Los Altos Library Orchard Room, 13 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos

Juanita Salisbury will be speaking at the Los Altos library on "The Power of Native Plants". We need two greeters and two helpers for this event. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table, answer basic questions about CNPS if attendees have any and ask them to sign up on the sign-up sheet. Tables, chairs, sign-up sheets and CNPS literature will be provided.
Helpers will set up the room with tables and chairs before the talk and put them away afterwards. Please sign up at the link provided above. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[5] Habitat Restoration: Spurge Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, June 1, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=800686
Location: Los Trancos Preserve

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive Albanian Spurge at Los Trancos Gate 01 in Los Trancos Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[6] Community Planting - by Our City Forest & Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, June 3, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/community-planting-ocf-keep-coyote-creek-beautiful-at-coyote-rd-tickets-632010990887
Location: Coyote Rd & Fonick Drive, San Jose, CA 95111

This planting will take place on the median of Coyote Road between Fonick Drive and Delridge Drive.
Meeting location: Corner of Fonick Drive and Coyote Road.
No volunteers under the age of 16 will be permitted to conduct any work on the median. There are trees that will be made available for younger volunteers on different sections of Coyote Rd.

[7] National Trails Day: Fence Replacement - by Midpen
Saturday, June 3, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=800725
Location: Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday replacing a split-rail fence at Skyline Ridge Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training and tools. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[8] Hike to Black Mountain - by Midpen
Saturday, June 3, 10:00 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/hike-black-mountain
Location: Monte Bello Preserve

Escape the valley heat and learn about the interesting geology and plants of this beautiful preserve with docent Naturalists Martin Manley and David Kocsis. On this moderately-paced hike along the Stevens Creek Nature, Canyon, Bella Vista, and Old Ranch trails you'll experience a great view of the San Andreas fault and discuss the effects it has had on the landscape. You'll descend a shaded canyon next to Stevens Creek (the real creek – not the car dealership district) to see the wildflowers and check out the California newt in its local habitat and climb the summit of Black Mountain for a fabulous view over a wide swath of the peninsula and take a lunch break at the top.

[9] Trashy Tuesdays Cleanup! - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Tuesday, June 6, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/trashy-tuesdays-cleanup-registration-627725442697
Location: Tully Ballfields, 800 Tully Rd, San Jose, CA 95111

Spend a couple of hours to work together for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup at the Tully Ballfields. Celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.