Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 15, 2022

CNPS-SCV News

Feb 15, 2022, 2:53:22 PM2/15/22
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear CNPS Santa Clara Valley members,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Keying with Natives: Basics of Plant Taxonomy
Friday, February 18, 6:30 PM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/282837949/

Keying with Natives - Two Special Sessions. The KWN group is where we learn plant keying by practicing on plant samples. To help keep our keying skills sharp during the pandemic, Dee Himes of the KWN group will teach two special online classes in January and February.

We will go over the basics of Plant Morphology on Friday January 21 and the basics of Plant Taxonomy on Friday February 18, from 6:30 - 8:30pm on Zoom. These classes will cover the basic principles of morphology, which is the study of the form, external structure and development of plants; and the basic principles of taxonomy, which is to learn and look at different plant families. These two classes will form a great crash course for beginners who are enthusiastic about learning how and why some plants are named - and for others they'll form a refresher.

Although these meetings will be virtual, as you attend you may want to have ready: a copy of Plant Identification Terminology, An Illustrated Glossary, by James G. Harris and Melinda Woolf Harris, 2nd Edition; some cuttings of your favorite native plants from your garden to show as samples; and a hand lens.

2/15: UPDATE: NO PLANT CUTTING SAMPLES NEEDED FOR CLASS.

Dee Himes is a CNPS SCV board member, Field Trip Chair, and former chapter Treasurer (2012-2014) and Field Chair (2014-2018). She is also an active “Weed Warrior” at Edgewood County Park and Preserve. She is now an Adjunct Instructor of horticulture at Foothill College, in their Environmental Horticulture and Design program, which she also graduated from with an A.S. in 2006. Dee is passionate about sharing her landscape and horticultural experiences and expertise in caring for California native gardens that includes sustainable gardening practices.

Register for the class on Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwkcuisqj0pGdx4VRGVruY_wVtApXPi7xSY
or watch on YouTube (no registration required): https://www.youtube.com/c/CNPSSantaClaraValley

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, February 19, 8:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/qvfrpsydcdbzb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose.

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 10-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/2020-volunteer-status-and-waiver-of-liability.pdf

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Joint Chapter Hike to South Slope Walk on San Bruno Mountain (South SF)
Saturday, February 19, 10:00 AM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/2915/-/joint-chapter-hike-to-south-slope-walk-on-san-bruno-mountain-south-sf

Join Chuck Heimstadt and Loretta Brooks on this joint chapter (Yerba Buena and Santa Clara Valley) field trip to explore the less visited south slopes of San Bruno Mountain. With its bright landscapes of large grasslands areas critical to our resident endangered butterflies and some locally rare plants on the CNPS Rare Plant Ranks, such as coast iris (Iris longipetala) CRPR 4.2, coast rock cress (Arabis blepharophylla) CRPR 4.3 and San Francisco wallflower (Erysimum franciscanum) CRPR 4.2.

Since there are only fire roads and weeding trails on this side of the mountain, the trail is steep, slippery, with rocky slopes and can be difficult to maneuver on. So please be sure to wear sturdy footwear and bring hiking poles as this area is only for the really adventuresome.

We should have time to stop at the top, so bring a snack or lunch.  Restrooms are only available in the parking area. Limited space. To sign up, please directly contact Loretta or Chuck at Chuckheimstadt @ yahoo.com. Details of the meeting location will be sent to participants closer to the day of the hike. Cancels if it rains.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[4] Discovering Mono County Plants with Ann Howald – Milo Baker Chapter
Tuesday, February 15, 7:30 PM
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BslCGnkbRKSlYif9-X4Pkg

[5] Burrowing Owl Work Day, Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
Saturday February 19, 9 AM - 12 PM

Volunteers will work to remove non-native invasive vegetation from the mounds and berms used by breeding Burrowing Owls in preparation for the upcoming breeding season. Volunteers are recommended to wear waterproof shoes or rubber boots for this workday. Tools and gloves are provided.

Volunteers must be 18 or older to participate, no exceptions. Please contact programs @ scvas.org if interested for further information.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on Facebook, Meetup, Instagram, and Twitter.