Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 24, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Apr 24, 2024, 1:26:12 PMApr 24
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Wildflower Show
Saturday, April 27, 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Location - West Valley College, 14000 Fruitvale Ave., Saratoga
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/wildflower-shows

Please join us for our 49th Wildflower Show at West Valley College. It will be held from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm this Saturday at West Valley College in Saratoga. This free family-friendly event has something for everyone. There will be rooms filled with wildflowers, fascinating talks, engaging workshops, live music, shopping and more! Free parking. The Saratoga Farmer's Market at West Valley is open from 9:00 to 1:00, so there are plenty of food options as well.

At 11:00, be sure to catch Creating Habitat and Beauty in your Garden with Native Plants, the talk by our keynote speaker, Bart O'Brien, Director of Regional Parks Botanic Garden and co-author of California Native Plants for the Garden.  A full schedule is available at the link above.

[2] Volunteers Needed for the Wildflower Show
Friday, April 26, 1:30 PM - 8:30 PM and
Saturday, April 27, 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: West Valley College, 14000 Fruitvale Ave., Saratoga
Link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F49A9A729AAFD0-46940248-2024#/
Link for Zoom orientaion: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIuf-itpj8tEte3Zq1kJbNaNfDorHB7Qncr

Our chapter's annual Wildflower Show is coming up very soon, and we need lots of volunteers to help with the show set-up, running and tear-down. We need volunteers for Friday, April 26th and Saturday, April 27th. Various shifts are available. If this is your first time volunteering we will be holding a Zoom training meeting before the show, currently scheduled for Wednesday, April 24th. You do not need any knowledge of plants or previous experience, just a good attitude and willingness to help with the show. There will be free food Friday and Saturday for volunteers. Please contact Toni Gregorio-Bunch with questions: 408-373-4497 or tidytip.lp @ gmail.com.

[3] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, April 26, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3296/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, April 27, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S. White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300271065/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, April 27, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park - 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/300555655/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided. First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[6] Wildflower Walk at Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve
Sunday, April 28, 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Morgan Hill
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299472628/

Explore the spring wildflowers at Rancho Cañada del Oro with Nabeel Al-Shamma and Divya Shenoy. We'll stroll a couple of miles along and up the Longwall Canyon Trail. On the way we'll see poppies, popcorn flowers, lomatium, purple sanicle, fiddleneck and more.

The hike will be about 4 miles long with 1000 ft. elevation change. Wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots. Hiking poles are recommended. Bring snacks, a sack lunch, and liquids for the day. Dress in layers. Heavy rain cancels. There is a shallow creek crossing early in the walk. The stepping rocks are unstable. Hiking poles will help. You many want a change of socks.

RSVP Required. Space is limited. No drop-ins please.

Directions: We'll meet at the main parking lot, 4289 Casa Loma Rd, Morgan Hill, CA 95037. If full, there is overflow walking just up the road and it is a short walk back to the main lot.

[7] Greeters needed for talk
Thursday, May 2, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Stephanie Saffouri from Grassroots Ecology will be speaking at the Cupertino library on "Bringing Beauty and Biodiversity to an Urban Preserve". We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[8] Almaden Quicksilver BioBlitz
Sunday April 28, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Almaden Quicksilver Park - 19535 Mockingbird Hill Lane, San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/almaden-quicksilver-bioblitz-registration-862796536667

A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. At a BioBlitz, scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to get an overall count of the plants, animals, fungi, and other organisms that live in a place.

Located in the heart of San Jose, the park we will be at is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals right along Coyote Creek. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful, BioBlitz Club Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society, and Peninsula Open Space Trust in cataloging and documenting all of the wildlife that reside there. We will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.

The best part? All you need to participate is a smart phone with the iNaturalist app! So bring your family and prepare for an in-depth tour of this great park.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.